!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: West Porthsea  (Read 11427 times)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: West Porthsea
« Reply #210 on: December 10, 2019, 05:16:24 AM »
 :hellosign:
Martin, please mention my congratulations to Steve, Tim & Harry a team effort, well executed.
  Agreed Pete, always nice to meet fellow forum members face to face & yes a superb little show which was very entertaining & inspirational.
      regards Derek

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #211 on: February 06, 2020, 10:37:16 PM »
 :hellosign: & a very good Thursday Evening to one & all, My golly gosh how time has flown January has gone already. I meant to upload this video early in the new year, but better late than never
https://youtu.be/POiaxrl_Zh4
  The now complete 8+2 Intercity Swallow liveried HST getting a good run out on the test track & keeping her company Class 221 5 car Voyager in Cross Country livery.
    I have finally made a start on West Porthsea station, having a go with Metcalfe platforms & Kestrel buildings, nothing is stuck down yet & lots more detail to add. Will upload photos shortly.
        regards Derek.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 12:18:13 AM by railsquid, Reason: correct link to "youtu.be" »

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #212 on: February 06, 2020, 11:20:13 PM »
 :hellosign: again, I think the video link has done a runner for now so have look shortly & try again.
   OK I haven't been totally idle for the last month, I have had a go with some of the kits I been given as gifts from family over the past few years.

And from a different angle

As said previously lots more work To do but for now wondering if the platforms are too wide ? Honest opinions really appreciated.  Also the track layout has changed again  :D I will be happy how it looks soon, the branch line is now on the inside, which to me makes sense as the station entrance is at the rear.
    Been having a few issues with the relaid track, very annoying but hopefully sort out soon.
  Thanks for looking
      regards Derek

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #213 on: February 07, 2020, 07:46:18 AM »
The kits look great Derek. Do you enjoy making them?
As for the platforms, I think that they look ok (although I canít see much of the middle one).
Martin
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #214 on: February 07, 2020, 08:56:36 AM »
Thank you very much for the update on West Porthsea, Derek.  And for the photographs.

Your buildings look terrific.

I did the same as you with the platforms; make them wide enough to locate the station buildings where you want them.  After the buildings are in place, you can reduce the width of the rest of the platforms until the result pleases your eye.  I think that a narrower platform gives the impression of greater length than a wide one.  The busier a station is, the wider the platforms generally are.

Maybe after you have the buildings in place, you could stand on the footbridge at Hayle (you have kindly posted a super picture from there on my prototype pictures thread) and observe the platform widths.  That's exactly what I did for Poppingham, although, sadly, not at Hayle.

Here's what I'm talking about:

The platform actually goes all the way back to the rear of the building, but appears much narrower due to the back yard of 'The Crown' and the grassed area.  Here's what it was like before:

With best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #215 on: February 07, 2020, 04:01:06 PM »
    Many thanks Martin, yes really enjoyed the construction of the platforms, easy to follow instructions & I like how they look. The Kestrel buildings a lot more of a challenge however.
   I am in the shed now resolving the running issues so will get a better picture of the island platform.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #216 on: February 07, 2020, 04:19:37 PM »
  Many thanks John, many words of wisdom to take on board & have a good think about while enjoying watching the trains running thank you again.
      regards Derek.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #217 on: February 07, 2020, 10:03:57 PM »
 :hellosign: & Good Evening to all,
    totally happy as a pig in :poop: today, running issues resolved but need to think about maybe more track feeds. As still having issues uploading videos just a photo this evening.

Hopefully above is a better view of the station platforms with BRCW Crompton leading a now (hopefully) complete Star of the West having a seriously good running session. Will try again later for video's but for now thanks for looking
        regards Derek.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #218 on: February 08, 2020, 06:33:38 AM »
Hi Derek,

Glad you've got your running issues resolved and let's hope 'The Star of the West' has decent brakes and doesn't become 'The Star of the Sea'   :D  ;).

I think the platforms look fine. Not sure of your exact plans but it is a sort of terminus (before the Quay) station so the passengers should have quite a bit of space I would have thought.

One little thing that I'm not sure about (just a personal thing so please ignore me) is the left hand building being at right angles to the others. To me it looks wrong but as I said that's just a personal thing.

Anyway, great stuff and hope you have more fun in your  :poop: over the Weekend Oink Oink!  :)

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #219 on: February 08, 2020, 06:37:38 AM »
I'm not convinced about the need for so many track feeds.  I have only one (pair of) feeds to each track on each board and one to each loop in the storage loops.  Mind you, that does add up to 52 pairs of track feeds.  Also, I have used Peco power rail joiners to connect the DCC to the track rather than soldering.  My early running problems were caused by dirty track and pickups.  I tried soldering all the track sections together in the UP loops, but it made no difference and, now everything runs well, the extra connections are superfluous.  The only real problem I get now and then is caused by uneven rail joints.  My next build will ensure perfect alignment.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #220 on: February 08, 2020, 10:12:51 PM »
 Many thanks Chris (Weave) your observations & comments are always welcome, I agree I do tend to run the trains a little too fast occasionally, I will make a mental note for my next video.
   The plan is West Porthsea is the main station serving the many hotels & campsites in Marazion being located approx 2 miles East of Penzance. The branch  line to West Porthsea Quay is for the boat train service & ferry services to the Scilly Isles & possibly the Channel Isles.
     The one building (parcels office) is for easy access to the entrance & stops passengers wandering down the ramp, just my thoughts although it could change.
       regards Derek.     :beers:   

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #221 on: February 08, 2020, 10:29:10 PM »
    Many thanks Laurence I do value your input, at the moment I have just one track feed to each loop & most of the time this seems ok. As I use Kato track I have up to now not even thought of soldering  :no: (a dark art). At the moment I am using the Gaugemaster cleaning kit which was another gift & seems to do a reasonable job at keeping the track clean but when all gone I think I shall look around.
       regards Derek.   :beers:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #222 on: February 09, 2020, 08:21:41 AM »
From that angle the platforms look fine Detek.
I think the island platform looks wide only because thereís no buildings on it.
And...I see itís still Christmas in West Porthsea  :D

Take care, itís a tad windy out today though as for Storm Ciara, it seems like just a normal February day in West Cornwall to me.
Weíve had it windier when no warnings have been issued.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #223 on: February 09, 2020, 09:16:35 AM »
From that angle the platforms look fine Derek.
I think the island platform looks wide only because thereís no buildings on it.
And...I see itís still Christmas in West Porthsea  :D
The island platform at Rugby is 30m wide, so this one is just a tiddler.

Take care, itís a tad windy out today though as for Storm Ciara, it seems like just a normal February day in West Cornwall to me.
Weíve had it windier when no warnings have been issued.
We getting gusts approaching 40mph, but we've certainly had worse.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #224 on: February 09, 2020, 09:58:28 AM »
 :hellosign: & Good Morning Martin & Laurence, A Very good point before assessing the width of the island platform I need to take in to account of shelters & seating etc  :hmmm:
  Aahh storm bit of a blow, nowt special as yet
        regards Derek

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
anything