Gallery Upgrade: Please refrain from using the Gallery or doing uploads as we are in the process of upgrading the Gallery at the moment. Thank you for your patience. Upgrade topic: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Metcalfe Coaching Inn  (Read 454 times)

Offline silly moo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28102
    • Awards
Metcalfe Coaching Inn
« on: January 06, 2018, 05:27:35 AM »
I have just finished making a Metcalfe Coaching Inn. It's one of their newer kits with laser cut details and was a pleasure to build.

It comprises of three building sections which when joined together form the inn. The walls and roofs are the usual card but the inner window and door frames are laser cut out of thinner white card.

Just the addition of these few laser cut card details make the building look much more realistic. In fact the whole thing is beautifully designed and thought out. The comprehensive instructions are in full colour and come in an A5 stapled booklet.

I usually follow the instructions to the letter but with a few exceptions, for construction I use PVA glue applied with a thin brush, I colour the underside and edges of the roofs with a black marker pen (so they are black under the eaves) and make my own curtains of of scraps of paper from magazines. I make net curtains out of tracing paper. The laser cutting process discolours the laser cut card details slightly making them beige in places but is is possible to flip most of the pieces over so you get the whiter side of the card if this bothers you.

I was concerned that light might show through the white outer walls of the building so I sprayed the insides of the walls dark blue before detaching them from the card sheet. I don't know whether this was necessary but I didn't want to take a chance.

I built this building over three days so that it wasn't rushed and mistakes were kept to a minimum. In the end I left one section of the building off due to limited space on the layout. I'm very pleased with the result indeed.

Metcalfe are to be commended for introducing more detailed kits and upgrading older ones, this building compares very well to plastic and resin offerings and doesn't look out of place on the layout.

I will need to add one thing to it, a mothball in the interior, we have little insects here called fish moths that eat paper and they love Metcalfe buildings!

:NGaugersRule:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Metcalfe Coaching Inn
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 05:50:31 AM »
Thanks for a great review!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 07:19:26 AM »
Piccies, please?
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 09:08:26 AM »
Many thanks for a very helpful review.  I have been thinking for a while of trying a Metcalfe card kit.  Your review has made up my mind for me.  It will be over 40 years since I built anything from card, so I am looking forward to the experience.  I will follow your example and build it slowly.

As George suggests, a picture would be very welcome.

Thanks again and all good wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here