!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Introducing the Long Valley Industrial Railroad  (Read 7413 times)

Offline Webbo

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Introducing the Long Valley Industrial Railroad
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2019, 12:32:12 AM »
This is a very nicely done overview of your fine layout, Rich.

It is quite remarkable how much you have managed to fit on a door without making it look cluttered.

Webbo

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2019, 12:47:31 AM »
This is a very nicely done overview of your fine layout, Rich.

It is quite remarkable how much you have managed to fit on a door without making it look cluttered.

Webbo

Thank you Webbo for the compliments on the layout and video. The funny part, DJ just stopped by one day for a visit, I had no idea he was planning on adding the video to his YouTube channel.  :doh:
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Tom Edwards

• Modelling the C&NW's Alco Line
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2019, 04:57:39 AM »
Nice video, Rich!

Now I can visualize what's going on where when you post still shots.

I also started out with a hollow core door, pretty much finished that module (ala The One Module Approach from Model Railroad Hobbyist fame) and then I added two more smaller chunks. One of these days I'll get around to doing some photos that I can upload here.

Keep up the good work!

--- Tom
Tom Edwards
C&NW "Alco Line" and M&StL in N scale
http://new-ulm.us/?q=node/6

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2019, 06:12:07 AM »
Nice to see the layout in all it's glory Rich, some lovely attention to detail and scenic/weathering work  :thumbsup:

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2019, 08:47:16 PM »
Thank you Tom and Lawrence for your kind words and yes, please post photos of your layout. As you can see or maybe can't see in DJ's video, I do not have any room for expansion at the present time. But I'm not complaining, the Long Valley Branch keeps me busy.  :)
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline mr magnolia

• N Gauge Society Number: 20060
    • Awards
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2019, 08:10:09 PM »
You have an interesting looking track cleaning car Rich.
What are you running?

Donald

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: June 17, 2019, 08:57:33 PM »
Looking great Rich,

you've managed to achieve a very open and natural feel to the layout and I really like your open / hidden / scenicked staging

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2019, 10:59:12 PM »
You have an interesting looking track cleaning car Rich.
What are you running?

Donald

Hi Donald, The track cleaning car is the Centerline Products N scale Model #2 car. The roller has been removed and replaced with a piece of Walthers Bright Boy Track Cleaner cut to size. If a little extra cleaning is needed, simply add the Centerline Products roller on top of the Bright Boy.

Here's another photo of the track cleaning car.

The second car is the Centerline Products Model #D12 with the "Handi Wipes" Reusable Cloth wrapped Roller.

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline mr magnolia

• N Gauge Society Number: 20060
    • Awards
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2019, 09:21:06 AM »
 :very interesting - thanks Rich.

Iím always got an eye out for the magic cleaning that will allow my track to lie idle for weeks but then miraculously work without any input. Battery drives are the answer but not tackled that yet.
Donald

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2019, 01:06:10 AM »
Hi Donald, If the layout has been idle, I'll have the locomotive push the track cleaning car, instead of pulling it. I've not had any issues with my track cleaning car, pushing or pulling it. As I mentioned above; if a little extra cleaning is required, place the center line roller on top of the bright boy for that little bit of extra cleaning action.

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline grumbeast

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: June 21, 2019, 03:52:22 PM »
Hi Rich,

Do you use a bit of goo-gone on the roller?  I tend to and it seems to work fine.

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: June 21, 2019, 09:07:53 PM »
Hi Rich,

Do you use a bit of goo-gone on the roller?  I tend to and it seems to work fine.

At first I used Goo-Gone on the Handi-wipe roller on the front track cleaner and ran the second one dry. The theory in my mind was, the first track cleaning car used the Goo-Gone to scrub the rails and the track cleaner with the dry roller helped pick up any remaining residue. Now that I'm using the piece of Bright Boy in the first track cleaning car, I'm still running the second track cleaning car with a dry Handi-wipes roller. I figure it helps dust off the rails after the passage of the Bright Boy. Quite often I'll also run the Bright Boy cleaning car in the train, without the second car. It seems to keep the rails polished and eliminates dirt. I think the dry system is working better than the IPA or Goo Gone methods, plus I've also converted more of the fleet to metal wheels which seems to help.   
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Tom Edwards

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2019, 07:54:20 AM »
Rich - Interesting idea about putting that chunk of Bright-Boy into the track cleaning car. I might have to try that. I've been using the old Masonite approach, putting a piece of that on the end of a stick and running that around the track. It works pretty well getting the gunk off of the tracks, but the track cleaning car idea would automate the process.

Any more labor saving ideas?  :beers:

Tom Edwards

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2019, 08:49:44 PM »
Rich - Interesting idea about putting that chunk of Bright-Boy into the track cleaning car. I might have to try that. I've been using the old Masonite approach, putting a piece of that on the end of a stick and running that around the track. It works pretty well getting the gunk off of the tracks, but the track cleaning car idea would automate the process.

Any more labor saving ideas?  :beers:

And don't forget Tom, if you need just a little extra cleaning, put the Centerline roller on top of the bright boy, to add a little extra weight. Also if it's been a week or two between running sessions, put the bright boy cleaning car in front of your locomotive, then your locomotive will be running on clean rail vs. dirty rail.  :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Tom Edwards

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2019, 10:01:31 PM »
OK! Another good tip to put the roller on to of the Bright Boy!

We have two of those track cleaning cars at the HO club where I'm a member but I didn't know that they also came in N scale. On the HO system we put one in front of a couple of locomotives and one behind. We make several passes, the first one with Goo Gone and the follow-on ones with just dry Handi-wipes. Then we clean the wheels of the locomotives. Those things seem to pick up all of the stuff that the Goo Gone loosens up.

It's a never ending battle.  :D
Tom Edwards

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
July Donations