!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Introducing the Long Valley Industrial Railroad  (Read 7968 times)

Offline Rich_S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Introducing the Long Valley Industrial Railroad
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2019, 01:34:03 PM »
Handsome layout. Although I sure am an Englishman, I have a deep interest in US railroading and always felt it was a terrible shame what happened to Penn Central - and in such a short space of time. 2 of the biggest railroads in the US just vanished in a few short decades! And what a sad loss NY Penn Station was (I hope they DO rebuild it) and thankfully Grand Central was saved. I read with amusement recently an article in which the writer said something like," With regards to Penn Station, one used to enter the city of New York like a god. Now one scuttles in like a rat."

Thank you Chris for the compliments on the layout.  Part of the problem was the Pennsylvania and the New York Central railroads were bitter rivals. What made things worse,  they tried to dovetail the management from the two companies together into one new management team without changing the age old operating practices. Hence, It became an internal battle between the green team (NYC) and the red team (PRR) which lead to their undoing. If they would have only had L. Stanley Crane at the beginning of Penn Central, things might have been different. The first thing L. Stanley Crane did as CEO of Conrail was to announce to the company, there is no more Red team and no more Green team, they were all now members of the Blue team. Through his leadership Conrail became a very successful railroad. 

It would have been interesting to see what might have happened if many of the Eastern railroads were not forced into bankruptcy, because Penn Central stopped paying their bills allowable under bankruptcy protection.  It's fun to think about what other merges might have happened had Penn Central been successful.  Would the N&W, EL and D&H had merged into a new company? Would the C&O and Lehigh Valley have merged into a new railroad? Could all the members of the "Alphabet route" have merged into a successful company. We all know what did happen, but sometimes it fun to think about what could have happened.

Yes The original Penn Station was a victim of the Penn Central railroad and doubtful that original complex will ever be rebuilt, considering the space once occupied by Penn Station is now occupied by other complexes like Madison Square Garden and Penn Plaza. The new Penn Station is still very much in use by Amtrak and several commuter railroads. Yes, all of the railroad activities now take place underground and that may have been what the writer was referring to?

Grand Central Terminal (NYC) is now only used by Metro-North railroad, a commuter line out of New York City. The station has been completely restored, but you will no longer be able to catch a long distance passenger train out of Grand Central.

Unfortunately, time marches on and not always for the better, but at least both passenger stations were not lost to history. Grand Central remains in it's glory, while Penn Station is a shadow of it's former glory. But on the bright side, you can still catch a long distance passenger train out of Penn Station.

The same holds true for the Pennsylvania passenger station in Pittsburgh, PA, the city closest to my location. All the Amtrak activities take place in what use to be the baggage handling area. The former Passenger station is now office space.  So you can still experience the grandeur of the original building, but time has marched on as far as passenger accommodations. Not so fortunate was the B&O passenger station in Pittsburgh. A multi-story jail now sits on the site of the former B&O passenger station. We are fortunate in the fact that the former Pittsburgh & Lake Erie passenger station is still standing and has been restored. Although no longer used as a passenger terminal, the main floor of the passenger terminal is now the Grand Concourse restaurant, with all other floors being used as office space. 

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2019, 12:47:15 AM »
My descent into the Penn Central madness continues with the acquisition of two Penn Central quad hoppers.

These are the new Quad hoppers from Bowser Mfg. that feature Roller bearing trucks with Fox Valley Models metal wheels and Body mounted Micro-Trains couplers
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline texhorse

• N Gauge Society Number: 3953
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2019, 08:02:45 PM »
These are very nice Rich.  Do you intend to have a long train of them?

Andy
UK
Montrose and Highland Railroad

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2019, 09:32:02 PM »
These are very nice Rich.  Do you intend to have a long train of them?

Andy
UK

Hi Andy, No the two I have plus the four P&LE 3 bay hoppers and the 2 B&LE 3 bay hoppers are all I need to satisfy the shipping needs of Midland Coal on the Midland spur track. Midland Coal only loads one 70 ton hopper per day. With a two day turn around, between the loader and the steel mill I have enough cars to cover the service.

Here's the new track schematic for the Penn Central Long Valley Branch

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2019, 06:47:48 AM »
Wonderful names!

Why don't you transfer this to the main Layout Construction board?

It'll get more people looking at it and it will be appreciated by many!
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2019, 12:51:07 PM »
Wonderful names!

Hi Chris, Thank you for the compliments on the layout. The layout is 95% complete in it's current form. If I start a new layout, I just might add that layout build to the main layout construction board.

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2019, 01:01:46 PM »
Wonderful names!

Hi Chris, Thank you for the compliments on the layout. The layout is 95% complete in it's current form. If I start a new layout, I just might add that layout build to the main layout construction board.

Fair enough. However, some people do start threads with fully or virtually complete layouts (or pikes in your case!). Just think it'll get much deserved exposure. You could also take a peek at my developing Maen Quarry Railway. It'll feature US locos/stock. Just a thought.
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2019, 05:00:48 PM »
This is how I clean switches / turnouts / points that no longer properly conduct electricity. 
Special note, the switches used on my layout are all from Atlas, this method may not work on all brands of switches / turnouts / points.

First using a Pipette apply 70% Isopropyl Alcohol to the contact area of the point / blade - see photo

Then using an old toothbrush, scrub the area making sure to clean around the points / blades and the stock rails.

I have used this method for years to help restore old switches / turnouts / points back to working condition.

I hope this method works for cleaning your stubborn switches that no longer conduct electricity to the points / blades.

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Paul Schmidt

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2019, 01:27:28 PM »
Hello Rich! So this is where you and DATS have been all this time!

I've been perusing this thread, and I really enjoy seeing the many permutations of your layout. It's inspiring.

The Slate Fork Branch of the Southern Railway is alive and well. Management has been experimenting with using single SD-7s on the Slate Fork's mine runs in place of tandem GP38s. That's what the Slate Fork was using prior to being acquired by the Southern, so the crews are pretty happy.

Life in southwest Virginia in the late 1970s continues on, but this has been a rather gloomy winter.

Cheers!

Paul Schmidt

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2019, 04:38:06 PM »
Hello Rich! So this is where you and DATS have been all this time!

Cheers!

Paul Schmidt

Hi Paul, You have to read though Dats "Closet Branch" thread. He's moved, (we are now in the same state, just on opposite ends of the state) and he now has room to expand the layout. What a great job he's been doing expanding The Closet Branch. 

I've also met a couple of great guys who post on this board from the UK. We met at Horseshoe Curve for a great day of rail fanning. Those were the photos posted earlier in the thread.  Andy's one of the guys I met at Horseshoe, his layout is called the Montrose and Highland Railroad. It's a shed layout which from my understanding is very common in the UK. Andy is working on a second layout called "Cascade". It's based on the BN and Milwaukee Road at locations out near your neck of the woods  :)  I keep telling Andy, it's been far too long since we've seen a update on the Cascade layout.  Also If I remember correctly, Andy's wife is from Wenatchee.

Now that I know you're doing regular updates on the South Fork Branch over on the nscale.net board, I'll have to continue to stop by to keep up to date on your layouts progress.

I really like how you mounted your layout on casters and the storage space below the layout. I would love to do something like that with my layout, but I honestly do not have the room. We currently live in a small apartment and the layout is currently shoehorned into the only available space in the apartment.   

Thanks for stopping by Paul, there is a great group of people on this board from all over the world and we all have one thing in common, we enjoy modeling in N scale. I've also been following some build threads of guys building UK layouts on some of the other boards on this site, some of the techniques they are using are top notch.  You may want to have a look around this web site, as I know you once constructed a Double O UK style layout, on second thought ignore that and continue on with the South Fork Branch  :smiley-laughing: 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 04:42:25 PM by Rich_S, Reason: spelling »
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: December 25, 2019, 03:48:24 PM »
A special message from everyone at the Long Valley Branch

« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 03:22:15 PM by Rich_S »
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #86 on: December 27, 2019, 10:22:13 PM »
The Long Valley Railroad is pleased to announce the purchase of it's two newest locomotives, Western Maryland F3A number 51 and Western Maryland F7B number 408.

Now the back story. A good friend of mine belongs to a Lionel club that sets up an annual Christmas display at a local shopping mall. They collect donations to view the Christmas display, then they donate all money collected to local charities. Because of my work schedule and their operating schedule, yesterday (12/26/19) was the only day I was able to stop in and see the display this year.  Fortunately or unfortunately for me, how ever you want to look at it, this year their display just happened to be near a new hobby shop in the mall. Since I had some Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket, I decided to stop in and have a look around. The owner of the hobby shop just received the above two Kato locomotives as part of an estate sale and I just couldn't pass up the price on two custom painted Kato locomotives in one of my favorite road names. Although I tend to prefer the Trail Blazer paint scheme aka "Circus" paint scheme over the other paint schemes, I also like the classic Black and Yellow Speed Lettering paint scheme. So for the time being the Long Valley Crews will be keeping the rails of the Long Valley Branch polished with these two latest acquisitions.  :claphappy:
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 10:23:40 PM by Rich_S, Reason: spelling... »
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: December 28, 2019, 07:20:26 AM »
Well done Rich. An excellent way of spending Christmas money.

You are lucky to have a local hobby shop that stocks such N scale items. Model railways from all scales have disappeared from all hobby shops here in Canberra. Model planes and cars - yes, but for all my railway stuff I have to rely on the Web, unfortunately.

Webbo

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: December 28, 2019, 08:16:02 AM »
Likewise. A shame.

Great pictures, though, Rich!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: December 28, 2019, 03:16:50 PM »
Well done Rich. An excellent way of spending Christmas money.

You are lucky to have a local hobby shop that stocks such N scale items. Model railways from all scales have disappeared from all hobby shops here in Canberra. Model planes and cars - yes, but for all my railway stuff I have to rely on the Web, unfortunately.

Webbo

Hi Webbo,  I was very surprised to find a new hobby shop in the shopping mall. What you're finding holds true in my area as well. At one time we had over 25 hobby shops in a 20 mile radius from my home, now we have three. My friend was telling me the owner of this new hobby shop was running the business out of his basement. Business had increased to the point where he needed to expand to a retail space. He calls his shop "Chippers Trains" but stocks everything from doll house collectables, video games, die cast cars and trucks to LP's,  45's and he even has a comic book section complete with a life size cardboard cutout of the gang from the Big Bang Theory TV show. About half the shop is devoted to model trains and over half of that area is devoted to Lionel trains. He also carries G, HO and N scale. I hope he continues to do well at this new location as too many shops are closing their doors.   
Cheers,
Rich S.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
August Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal