!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Introducing the Long Valley Industrial Railroad  (Read 8282 times)

Offline Rich_S

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Introducing the Long Valley Industrial Railroad
« Reply #120 on: June 22, 2020, 02:27:06 PM »
Esthers' must have the worst webpage @Rich_S   ;D but does have some great deals on N gauge at the moment. Must be great to have 2 great hobby shops so close, reckon I'd be there every week  :D

A few years ago, I think Bob told me his son in law maintains the computers and website, but I'm not sure how often they update the site. Bob is 88 years old and when he passes, I'm not sure if anyone in his family will continue to keep the shop open.

That is the one encouraging aspect with Hobby Express in Cranberry, the family members running the shop are younger than me. So hopefully that shop will be around for many years to come.

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Lawrence

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Closed
    • Awards
« Reply #121 on: June 22, 2020, 03:25:32 PM »
Esthers' must have the worst webpage @Rich_S   ;D but does have some great deals on N gauge at the moment. Must be great to have 2 great hobby shops so close, reckon I'd be there every week  :D

A few years ago, I think Bob told me his son in law maintains the computers and website, but I'm not sure how often they update the site. Bob is 88 years old and when he passes, I'm not sure if anyone in his family will continue to keep the shop open.

Might be a little opportunity for you there Rich, nice little business just needs a decent website, and you can get all your own stock at a discount  ;)
Then again, I think if I lived in Baden, I'd be too busy spending my days soaking up the views of the mountains and the river, looks a lovely place to live.  :thumbsup:

Offline texhorse

• N Gauge Society Number: 3953
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #122 on: June 24, 2020, 09:12:41 AM »
I hope model railroad stores like these NEVER become extinct.  Ordering stuff off the internet is cheap and convenient, but there is no substitute for going to a model railroad store and having a look around.

I have a really neat one near me, but he's not the cheapest.  Nevertheless, whenever I go, I always ensure I buy something from him, whether it be a new loco or just a packet of figures.  We have to keep stores like these going.

https://mech-models.com/

Denis and I take his layout there every year to run at the store's open day.

Thank you for sharing the videos Rich.  By the way, does Lawrence have a good idea?  Would you be interested in running Esther's?

:hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:

Andy
UK
Stay Safe My Friends
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #123 on: June 24, 2020, 02:53:17 PM »
Might be a little opportunity for you there Rich, nice little business just needs a decent website, and you can get all your own stock at a discount  ;)
Then again, I think if I lived in Baden, I'd be too busy spending my days soaking up the views of the mountains and the river, looks a lovely place to live.  :thumbsup:

Hi Lawrence, Expense and/or the lack of funds is the sad reality of purchasing a Hobby Shop. Bob has never quoted me an exact price, but has well over a million dollars in inventory and the ownership of the building. I doubt I could get a loan for even half that amount, plus I don't see myself trying to run the hobby shop and working my full time job. I only have 5 years left, then I can retire with a nice pension from my current job, I would not want to start over and if the shop failed, I'd really be out of luck. Now if I was to hit the lottery, owning the hobby shop might be a nice retirement option  ;)

I'd say most rail fans who visit Baden, will be spending most of their time at the East Conway (Baden Piney Street) bridge, watching trains enter and exit Conway yard. Thank you for the compliments and Yes, Baden is a nice community that's just close enough to Pittsburgh to be convenient, but far enough away to avoid the hustle and bustle of living downtown.  When we were younger, it was also fun to take a boat out on the Ohio river for the day. Now I'm getting to the age where a boat is just extra work I don't need. A old timer once told me "as you get older, what you once did all day, now takes you all day to do". I'm beginning to understand  :laugh3: 
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #124 on: June 24, 2020, 03:40:09 PM »
I hope model railroad stores like these NEVER become extinct.  Ordering stuff off the internet is cheap and convenient, but there is no substitute for going to a model railroad store and having a look around.

I have a really neat one near me, but he's not the cheapest.  Nevertheless, whenever I go, I always ensure I buy something from him, whether it be a new loco or just a packet of figures.  We have to keep stores like these going.

https://mech-models.com/

Denis and I take his layout there every year to run at the store's open day.

Thank you for sharing the videos Rich.  By the way, does Lawrence have a good idea?  Would you be interested in running Esther's?

:hmmm: :hmmm: :hmmm:

Andy
UK
Stay Safe My Friends

Hi Andy, As I explained to Lawrence in the post above, I could not afford to purchase Esther's Hobby Shop. Also being only 5 years away from retirement, I do not want to start over in the Hobby Shop and if it failed, be stuck with only a partial pension that'd I'd not be able to live off. The last thing I want, is to be someone in their late 60's working because I have to, I've had some hard jobs in my life that have taken their toll on me. I've reached a point in my life where I just want to comfortably retire, I believe I can do that in 5 years as long as I stay employed at my current employer.

I agree Andy, we do need to try and keep out local Hobby Shops open but as prices rise that becomes harder to do on the big ticket items. Because of today's limited run procedures, I think the local hobby shops need to consider a lay-away program for those big ticket items giving you a few months to make payments on the purchase. This sadly is the lure of mail order, I see it time and again, where the mail order price on a new locomotive with DCC + Sound and shipping is still cheaper than the hobby shop price. But the downside to the internet order, I generally don't have that amount of hobby cash on hand, so it's put the purchase on a credit card and then you end up paying the credit card company interest on the purchase, which if the ticket price is high enough in the long run just might equal the hobby shop price. It's a double edged sword, now If the hobby shop owner would allow me to pay for that locomotive over a few months, I may be tempted into the purchase over an internet purchase. But I also understand the hobby shop owners point of view, they only have so much space and to place items in a lay-away spot in the back room takes space away from inventory.

I do agree Andy, it is very nice to just walk around the hobby shop and see what's new and talk with other hobbyist. The Mech Models shop looks very nice, I do enjoy a well stocked shop where the shelves are neatly organized. One thing I noticed is Mech Models carries Badger Acrylic Paints. I've used these railroad color paints in the past with great success. Thanks for posting the link Andy. 

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #125 on: June 24, 2020, 10:06:32 PM »
@Rich_S  well you will have to keep doing the lottery my friend, and then you can give me a job in your new shop  :D and I can enjoy the beautiful location and that massive NS yard  :goggleeyes:
@texhorse thanks for the Mech Models mention Andy, not one I was aware of before.

But I have to ask guys, what is it with the B&ORR and N scale models, seems the nations' oldest railroad seems to have lost some of its sheen, which is a shame as that's what I model  :worried: apart from a £360 USRA Mech Models only had a couple of gondolas, even with US suppliers it seems out of favour.

Anyway, enough thread creep, back to dreaming of Rich winning the lottery  :D

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #126 on: June 24, 2020, 11:31:20 PM »
Dear Rich

If you won a 100 million dollars jackpot, please buy me a meal combo #2 at McDonald's and Atlas rail joiners please. :food: :admiration:
I desperately need those.

:dunce: Dats
Best regards with my annoying moving signature.
  :drool: Dats 

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #127 on: June 25, 2020, 02:09:26 AM »

But I have to ask guys, what is it with the B&ORR and N scale models, seems the nations' oldest railroad seems to have lost some of its sheen, which is a shame as that's what I model  :worried: apart from a £360 USRA Mech Models only had a couple of gondolas, even with US suppliers it seems out of favour.

Hi Lawrence, That is the downside of the hobby today, the majority of manufacturers only produce a set amount of models per production run then move onto the next model. If you are not able to purchase that model during the production run, you may have to wait several years before the model is released again. A quick check of ebay show the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad is very well represented

https://www.ebay.com/sch/19119/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=baltimore+and+ohio&_sop=10

Hi Dats, If I would happen to win the Power Ball or Mega Millions, I would surely purchase Esther's Hobby shop, offer Lawrence a job and send you some Atlas code 80 rail joiners and a gift certificate for a  number 2 at McDonald's.

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #128 on: June 25, 2020, 08:38:50 AM »

Hi Lawrence, That is the downside of the hobby today, the majority of manufacturers only produce a set amount of models per production run then move onto the next model. If you are not able to purchase that model during the production run, you may have to wait several years before the model is released again. A quick check of ebay show the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad is very well represented

Agreed Rich, it is plentiful on ebay but when it is $8 for a freight car then $28 for shipping I kinda give up. Don't know if that is USPS or  guys just profiteering. Have to plan another trip to the US when all of this is over and bring a spare case with me  :D

Offline texhorse

• N Gauge Society Number: 3953
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #129 on: June 25, 2020, 09:24:26 AM »
Rich

WHEN you win the lottery, please also buy Dats some styrene sheets in case he's building anything else for the Closet Branch!!!! 

Andy
UK
Stay Safe My Friends
Montrose and Highland Railroad
"Gotta Keep Movin' On!"

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #130 on: July 03, 2020, 04:20:53 PM »

Agreed Rich, it is plentiful on ebay but when it is $8 for a freight car then $28 for shipping I kinda give up. Don't know if that is USPS or  guys just profiteering. Have to plan another trip to the US when all of this is over and bring a spare case with me  :D

As a follow up, I've been talking with several friends on a couple of different forums and have found shipping has gone through the roof because of the COVID-19 pandemic. A lot of freight is shipped via commercial airlines and since flights have been scaled back, shipping has tripled in price. One friend who purchases a lot of items from a well known Japanese online site, said shipping has gone from $6 to $24. So sadly this pandemic has touched every aspect of our lives.

To go along with this, I was looking at a product from DCC Concepts and they would not even quote me a shipping price until I purchased the item. Sadly I don't want to purchase a $60 product to find out the shipping will be $25, it's more of a luxury item and that $85 can buy me a few freight cars I've had my eye on.
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #131 on: July 03, 2020, 05:24:08 PM »
Hi Rich,

Shipping cost is always problematic for me.
I can get one more item with the price.
To justify the cost, it seems like I have to order a lot of stuff.
I probably need to go to a local hobby store instead. Although I really don’t have any.
My last hope is attending a Swap meet or train show.
I’ve never attended so called “Swap meet”. I imagine they have some good deal of used items.

Dats
Best regards with my annoying moving signature.
  :drool: Dats 

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #132 on: July 04, 2020, 03:37:10 PM »
Hi Rich,

Shipping cost is always problematic for me.
I can get one more item with the price.
To justify the cost, it seems like I have to order a lot of stuff.
I probably need to go to a local hobby store instead. Although I really don’t have any.
My last hope is attending a Swap meet or train show.
I’ve never attended so called “Swap meet”. I imagine they have some good deal of used items.

Dats

Hi Dats, The only shipping cost that have sky rocketed are the overseas shipping cost. Continental US shipping has remained untouched so far.  Yes, you can find some good deals at "Train Shows" or "Swap Meets", but not always. It's too bad the Altoona show has been cancelled, I always found a few things at that show I just couldn't live without  :smiley-laughing:

How far are you from Yankee Dabbler in Bellmawr, NJ?

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/''/YANKEEDABBLER+NJ+STORE/@39.8901768,-75.1325762,13z/data=

I've dealt with YD via their online store and they seem to have some good prices on model railroad items. If you don't want to pay for shipping and the drive is within reason, you might want to consider a trip to the Yankee Dabbler Hobby Shop.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 03:39:24 PM by Rich_S, Reason: Added Missing Link »
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Maurice

• Awards
« Reply #133 on: July 04, 2020, 08:00:19 PM »
Don't forget the added joy of paying Pennsylvania State Sales Tax for an online purchase. I am also hoping for a swap meet/ train show in PA. Unfortunately, the way the Covid fight is going, I don't know how they can have one. Those things can be rather crowded. I really only have one local train shop that carries N scale and have occasionally made the hour and a half drive to English's Model Railroad Supply in Mountoursville, PA.  I was thinking of making a road trip to visit some New Jersey shops this summer, especially if I visit my brother who lives in NJ. Even that is in question with the current situation.
Are there any specific cars or locomotives you are looking for? That one LHS does have a case of new and used N scale that I can look through for you.
Cheers!
Maurice

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2020, 03:02:18 PM »

Don't forget the added joy of paying Pennsylvania State Sales Tax for an online purchase.

Hi Maurice, I found on big ticket items purchased online, plus PA Sales Tax and shipping, the purchase is still less expensive than the MSRP charged at my local hobby shop. Yes I do enjoy walking through my local hobby shop and seeing first hand what is available, but I cannot justify spending almost double the price for locomotives at the local hobby shop vs. online prices.  When it comes to the smaller ticket items like scenery items and rolling stock the online shops no longer have an advantage over the local hobby shop. The exception to the above statement at my local hobby shop is DCC decoders and Micro-Trains trucks and couplers. My local hobby shop has a very poor selection of DCC decoders and Micro-Trains trucks and couplers. I've found for those items Yankee Dabbler has some great prices and fast shipping.

Here is a list of some of the online shops I've been using.

https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/
https://www.nscalesupply.com/
https://www.trainworld.com/
https://yankeedabbler.com/

All we can do now is hope the 2021 Altoona N scale weekend does not get cancelled. I've been trying to talk Dats into attending this show for a few years now. Hopefully we can all meet in Altoona next year.

Cheers,
Rich S.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal