!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Intermountain hopper  (Read 329 times)

Offline ngaugepaul

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 8105
    • Awards
Intermountain hopper
« on: August 18, 2020, 11:46:43 AM »
After a wait of over two and a half years I have finally received two of the recently released Alberta "Take a break" hoppers.

One is correctly packaged, labelled, numbered and bears the name Breton.

The other which is packaged, labelled and numbered for the name Okotoks however also bears the name Breton. NOT Okotoks.

This would appear to be a production printing error with the wrong name applied.

I contacted All American Trains in Germany from whom I bought the hoppers to point out the error. Their reply is below

I think, the fastest and easiest way would be contacting Intermountain
direct.
By US Warranty Law all US based companies are instructed by law to serve the
customers with their products direct.
But only the customer (owner of product), not an importer nor distributor
(canīt be the owner of the product).
We can contact IM in this matter, they donīt have to answer. They will, as
we are good importers for their products, but it will take month to get
results.
The direct way - customer > manufacturer - will be much, much faster.
Normally within a week.

Try this first, please.
But be aware, CO is Corona Hotspot. Offices are only occupied once or twice
a week.

I emailed Intermountain two weeks ago but to date there has been no reply.

Has anyone else had a similar problem ?

Anyones thoughts and advice how to proceed would be appreciated.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
Re: Intermountain hopper
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 08:21:20 AM »
Hi Paul

Personnally, I think your German supplier is responsible for sorting this out. In practical terms, the suggestion of contacting IM directly could lead to a quicker result if IM is in a good mood and is willing to play ball. Contacting IM directly as you have done is worth a try, but give it another week and if then nothing, I would be going back to your supplier as they are the ones responsible for delivering your paid-for goods. Shipping costs for returns should not have to be paid for by you though.

I've not heard of a problem like yours from IM or from anyone else. I have quite a number of IM grain and coal hoppers including two Alberta ones like you have ordered. They are all wonderful models. It would niggle me to have two Alberta hoppers having the same name so I would be pursuing this for a successful resolution - perhaps money back?

Good luck with it all
Webbo

Offline ngaugepaul

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 09:21:28 AM »
Hi Webbo
Many thanks for your reply
Yes they are lovely models but for me it is more than a niggle that the name is wrong.
I will see how I get on
Paul

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2020, 02:47:48 PM »
Hi Paul, That is the funny thing with suppliers vs. manufacturers. I do not know about German law, but here in the states you'd have to return the hopper to Intermountain if you found it defective. Sadly because of the limited run nature of most model railroad products, Intermountain may not have a replacement hopper. If this was a production typo, which it sounds like it is, then all the Breton hoppers would be incorrectly labelled and a correct hopper would not be available. Another option would be to ask the German supplier if they'd be willing to exchange the hopper for another one they have in stock?  Hopefully someone from Intermountain will respond to your email, but it's my understanding Intermountain is a cottage industry with only a few employees.
Cheers,
Rich S.

Online Steven B

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 12107
  • 2mm Association Number: 4196
    • NGS Yorkshire Area Group
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2020, 03:05:32 PM »
Rather than a printing error, it's more likey someone at the Factory put the wagon in the wrong box. Have you asked All American Trains if they have any more in stock they could check?

Steven B.

Offline Gilles_44

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 05:56:06 PM »
Hello,
I'd some problem with an intermountain passenger car & intermountain hopper both purchase in US.
The 2 shops have solved problem providing replacement part or given a new hopper, I never contact Intermountain.
Normally it is the job of the shop to provide a solution to client.
Regards,
Gilles

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 06:46:58 PM »
Hello,
I'd some problem with an intermountain passenger car & intermountain hopper both purchase in US.
The 2 shops have solved problem providing replacement part or given a new hopper, I never contact Intermountain.
Normally it is the job of the shop to provide a solution to client.
Regards,
Gilles

Hi Gilles, It completely depends on the shop and it's best to read their return policy. Any warranties are between you and the manufacturer, not you and the supplier. It's good to know the shop you dealt with was willing to replace the items you purchased, but by law the supplier can tell you to contact the manufacturer.

Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline Gilles_44

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 11:22:19 PM »
Hi Rich,

In UE, for new product, it is the retailer (professionnal) responsability, it is the law! For second hand it is different.

I thought that in US, it was the same. Next time I buy in US I will check the return policy.

Regards,
Gilles

Offline ngaugepaul

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 04:41:02 PM »
Thank you to those of you who kindly replied with their thoughts on the matter.
I have now received a reply from Intermountain and it would seem that there was a foul up at the factory and everyone of the six different Alberta hoppers in the production run had the name Breton applied in the printing process. So five have the wrong names on them !
My email was so they say the first they knew of the problem.
I am now waiting to see what Intermountain and All American Trains can agree between them regarding my refund. Presumably it should come from AAT as I purchased the wagon from them and they will have to sort  out with Intermountain.
Hopefully they will be able to resolve the matter.
I will update you in due course.
So if anyone of you American RR fans out there has recently bought any of these hoppers it would be worth your while checking them over.

Offline Rich_S

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 03:08:54 PM »
Hi Paul, I'm glad to hear Intermountain replied to your email.

Have you given any thought to removing the Breton name and road number using the Athearn removal method

Then adding another name using the Microscale decal sheet 60-710?
http://www.microscale.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Session_ID=a26605b4cf2e2e0e997a8f5eb8bfb453&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=60-710&Store_Code=MD&search=60-710&offset=&filter_cat=&PowerSearch_Begin_Only=&sort=&range_low=&range_high=

It does not look like the Microscale decal sheet includes the name "Okotoks", but you'd at least have two cars with different names?

Just a suggestion to maybe help alleviate a currently unfortunate situation and add another covered hopper to your fleet.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 03:18:52 PM by Rich_S, Reason: Added additional information »
Cheers,
Rich S.

Offline ngaugepaul

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2020, 04:36:01 PM »
Hi Rich,
Many thanks for your suggestion and information provided.
As AAT and Intermountain could not come up with a suitable I decided to opt for a refund and have posted the wagon back.
Such a shame after such a long wait for something I had been looking forward to but if I had kept it I am sure it would have just bugged me.
Regards
Paul

Offline ngaugepaul

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 02:30:54 PM »
Further to my earlier entries at their request I posted the wagon back to All American Trains on 28th August although in his email Steven at the firm did not sound particularly happy as he said Intermountain would not refund my postal cost and he would have to meet it.
Since posting the parcel I have had no response from AAT despite an email over a week ago and a reminder yesterday asking for an update.
In the intervening period I have had a number of sales emails from them detailing new products but nothing regarding my wagon.
I have bought items from AAT previously with no problems and wonder if anyone else has had issues with them ?

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal