!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Lowering class 37 body  (Read 572 times)

Offline STEVE44

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26049
    • Awards
Lowering class 37 body
« on: December 28, 2017, 05:40:12 PM »
Hi, happy Christmas to all. I was wondering if someone has done a step by step on lowering the body on the class 37. If  so could someone show me how to do it. I would like to see pictures step by step. This would really help. Hope someone can help me  Cheers Steve 44

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: Lowering class 37 body
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 01:28:31 PM »
There are various ways, though several are poor IMHO.

Do not modify the bogie sideframes - some folk cut these off and refit higher, which closes the body/bogie gap, but doesn't lower anything, and misaligns the axles and axlebox centres.

What I've done is to drop the two PCB contact pads at either end of the chassis block, by filing a small amount off their corners where they sit. Then, by removing the cab interiors and filing down their bases, you can get the body to sit lower on the chassis block. I drop the fuel tanks too by unclipping and putting a piece of 20thou plasticard in their bases to push them to sit a little lower, albeit they will still clip on.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline STEVE44

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 03:46:33 PM »
Thanks for the info . I have a old class 37 so I will have ago on that first.  Cheers Steve44

Offline Jonas

• Trade Count: (0)
  • 2mm Association Number: 5046
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Steve Jones Weathering
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 05:51:01 PM »
Excuse me sending you to another forum but I posted one on RMweb last year...
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/815/entry-19364-how-i-lower-my-farish-class-37s-a-step-by-step-guide/

(In my defence it originated on the N Gauge Forum Facebook group - I just never got round to posting here too!)

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2017, 06:02:08 PM »
Excuse me sending you to another forum but I posted one on RMweb last year...
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/815/entry-19364-how-i-lower-my-farish-class-37s-a-step-by-step-guide/

(In my defence it originated on the N Gauge Forum Facebook group - I just never got round to posting here too!)

Essentially the same technique, though you don't need to loose the cab interiors if you simply file their bases, and the fuel tanks will clip back on without need to remove their lugs - there's enough slop, or you could file a smidge off the lug underside if it's doesn't quite stay put.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline STEVE44

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2017, 07:20:30 PM »
Once again thanks for the link. I think I understand so will have ago .                   Cheers Steve44

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here