!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Ivatt 2-6-2 tank.  (Read 860 times)

Offline Old Crow

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Dapol Ivatt 2-6-2 tank.
« on: December 22, 2017, 11:03:17 PM »
Just bought this used but in excellent condition. Beautifully detailed and the tiny precision of the seemingly to scale, valve gear is breathtaking.

Runs smoothly and near silently but I do have a problem of sorts. It's very light and any track disturbance will upset the connectivity. It doesn't like insulfrog points at slow speeds because the frog lifts the front drivers ever so slightly but enough to cause problems. Much better on electrofrog but I can't afford to change all the insulfrog points I have.

All my other locos cope fine because they have weight so I'm wondering how I might add some to this loco? There are specific warnings about not disassembling and not much room anyway. Anybody done this? Wish I  could invent a pickup for one of the bogies but it really is rather delicate.

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Ivatt 2-6-2 tank.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 12:54:53 AM »
Check that it's actually picking up from all the wheels properly - I've seen a few that haven't been and their pickup has therefore been erratic. Often this is just dirt - cleaning the pickups and running in again fixes.

Otherwise there's basically no space to put in any additional weight that will help - most of the tanks and boiler are already filled, which would only leave the bunker, but this isn't an optimum location.

Early ones did have rear bogie pickups, but these were only really a bonus, rather than something to be relied on, and they were deleted on subsequent releases.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline Old Crow

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 11:53:29 AM »
Cheers doc, where are the pickups on this one - don't look like the Farish version.

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 11:56:46 AM »
There are 6 wipers, one behind each driver. They are higher up than Farish ones, so you need to carefully remove the keeper plate and then one wheelset at a time (don't disconnect valve gear and be careful of it) - this should just give enough space to get in at them to clean.

Be careful to ensure the gearing is re-engaged so front and back wheelsets are aligned correctly, otherwise you'll risk locking it up or mangling the valve gear.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here