!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Regleun and Tremargat (having another go)  (Read 2108 times)

Online weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Port Regleun and Tremargat (having another go)
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2017, 07:57:13 AM »
Hi Derek (and others),

Still can't get my head round the station building.

Few reference pics of Calais Maritime.....

http://hhvferry.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/compiegne_extcalais.jpg

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-0rvDWbtXbBg/UN5qCGVJ9II/AAAAAAAAARs/wriu7Np9SNU/s1600/!00+Calais+La+Gare+Maritime+Ariel.jpg

A very old one of Boulogne before they slapped a massive car park on top of it....

http://www.cparama.com/forum/cartes2013c/1383549707-62-Boulogne-20-.jpg

Roscoff, St. Malo and Ouistreham (Caen) didn't?/don't have rail links. Le Havre is more a town station although close to the port. Dieppe would have been too much hard work and Cherbourg was too grandiose. I don't think Dunkerque had anything there with all trains shunted off to the town station. I don't have room for a 'town' station so think it needs something.

I think I might put it, as was an earlier afterthought, at 90 degrees to the earlier photo (won't upload at moment) alongside the long LHS platform (which is the main one) where there could be bus, car and taxi access and passengers will just have to walk round to the ferry (although I'm still not sure).

Sorry, rambling to myself again.

Joyeux Noel to you all.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Edit, this one....

« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 08:07:25 AM by weave »

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2017, 09:12:24 AM »
I think the station building looks fine at right angles to the tracks.
Good idea.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2017, 09:27:05 AM »
Hi Martin,

Sorry, didn't explain myself very well as usual. I meant at 90 degrees to that photo ie along the imaginary platform in front of the 6th, 7th and 8th carriages of the train.

I still don't know.

Sorry, read it again, presume you mean you like it how it was?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 09:29:00 AM by weave »

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2017, 10:35:10 AM »
I like it how it is in the photo, although it needs moving a little to the right or trains will be demolishing the LHS of the building ;)

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2017, 11:03:11 AM »
Hi NPN,

As Clouseau would say 'Yez, I know zis'  :).

The problem is mainly that I would lose the length of the platform unless the building was moved toward the camera but then there would be a huge space between it and the water with no real access.

I'll post a pic of it sideways to where it is in that pic to see what people think plus some other pics later (hopefully).

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2017, 11:58:02 AM »
Ah. I see what you mean.As Mick says, I think it looks quite good where it is but it is an inch or so too big.
I agree, maybe parallel with the tracks then but it is an imposing building so needs an impressive courtyard (perhaps accessed through majestic gates) in front of it.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2017, 10:32:58 PM »
Hi all,

Hope you're all having a lovely Christmas Eve. I can't do pubs anymore, the mind is sort of willing but the body and especially the legs say no. Also the booze is cheaper here and I can listen to whatever music I like.

SWMBO has gone to bed early as apparently there's 'lots to do tomorrow'.  :no:, deranged fool, bless her, so I thought I'd carry on with the 'where do I put the station building' question?

Few pics for this bit and then hopefully another post to explain some of the wagon chaos for the last train ferry from Port Regleun to West Porthsea Quay before Christmas of which you'll see some of them in these pics.

Pic of the station building parallel to the platform. Please ignore platform and hard standing area heights as these will be sorted. Also, the steamer is just there to see what it would look like with a Channel Island ferry docked beside the main long platform and also if there would be room to have the train ferry sea lock separate to it or as one entity (if that makes sense) .....

Another view....

And another...

A final overview...

This might need editing after posting but more + new input very welcome. As I said before I can't decide and it's doing my head in. I think this is definitely the easiest option but does it look right?

Thanks for looking. Hope to post some closer wagon pics in about half an hour. The Red Wine Tide will tell  :)

Also, apologies for no proper ship infrastructure. I'd hoped to put a bit on the train ferry but can't find some of it.

JOYEUX NOEL again to you all and speak soon.

Cheers and Sante weave  :beers:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2017, 01:03:45 AM »
 :hellosign: Chris, the latest set of photos are IMO the best option, looking forward to more
      regards Derek.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2017, 02:24:39 PM »
Bonjour mes amis,

Hope you're all well.

Due to some overindulgence on Christmas Eve the close up pics of loading the last train ferry from Port Regleun to West Porthsea Quay, which sailed on the evening of the 23rd, got delayed.

They are mainly of 'goodies' of the alcohol variety plus other wagons being shipped for Christmas from varoius parts of Italy, Spain, Czechoslovakia, South America and of course France. The ship apparently arrived in Cornwall safe and well on the morning of the 24th and hopefully brought extra cheer to our Celtic friends.

A few pics of the cargo. Unfortunately, due to problems at St. Brieuc marshalling yard, where they (ie. me) are trying to get their house in order for 'through runnings', most of these won't be able to appear in any UK photos (?).

Overview of the loading although nothing is moving as they are awaiting the return of the second pilot loco for ferry balance purposes. The middle track wagons are empties so only the wagons at the front will join the others already on the linkspan and linkspan approach....

Martini and perishable goods from Southern Italy....

Transfesa wagon from Southern Spain mainly consisting of sherry and a banana wagon, one of many for the French market, but rerouting it's load from South America via the Atlantic port of St. Nazaire on special request....

A couple of Port Perran Timber Merchant wagons returning from their delivery of quality British timber to the Principality of Izaro. A British Railways container and a yellow Izaro Furniture Cooperative wagon, containing quality bespoke product samples, are being shipped back to the UK for various investors to peruse over the holiday period.

In the background is a parcel van full of presents and 3 Konenbourg vans with various beers from the Alsace region. One of them, however, after dropping off it's load in St. Brieuc has been commandeered by the Tremargat Cooperative Distillery to supply Lambig (Gwinardant) probably more commonly known in the UK as Fine Bretagne (Brittany's version of Normandy's Calvados).....

A Stef wagon with fresh local agricultural produce. Some Champagne and an Urquell Pilsner wagon all the way from Czechoslovakia believed to be a favourite around the Penmayne area of Cornwall (?) and Dubonnet (a British Royal Family favourite).....

Although the Etoile de L'Ouest train isn't running today, behind the Mercier Champagne wagon there is a CIWL coach returning to Cornwall from an alpine ski resort. I forget which one and do not have the passenger list (Chris (IP) and/or Martin help?) but due to the delay in loading and the fact that the SNCF restaurant car has been removed the passengers are being treated by the CIWL to dinner in Tremargat at one of its finest fish restaurants. They will be taxied back to their sleeping carriage soon before departure.

Hopefully a more normal and less alcoholic (and less long winded  :) service will resume in the New Year.

Thanks for reading.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2017, 06:36:22 PM »
Glad you had a good Christmas and are not suffering alcohol withdrawal symptoms. Alcohol should be reduced slowly, very slowly in fact over a period of several months. This serves two purposes, firstly the reduction does not affect the functioning of the body and secondly that it avoids a system shock on the lead up to next Christmas!
As you are using this Japanese toy track system :P, can you move the furthest three tracks over slightly by moving the points to allow the station building to be turned through a right angle? I think it looks better and possibly more authentic.
Cheers, Brian
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2017, 08:37:58 PM »
Hi Brian,

Thank you for the alcohol advice. The crepes, galettes and cider for breakfast will probably stop about January 3rd and then it's back to the old 'waiting for the pubs to open' routine so I should be OK.

No comment on my beloved 'Japanese toy track' system. It is a time of goodwill to all men, however delusional.

With regard to the station building, I'd nearly just got my head around going for the final option (which is now the first option in these pics which I am now going to have to put here together so I can think about it more  :doh:)....

Gives me something to do until the TV is free  :)

« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 08:47:46 PM by weave »

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2017, 09:07:58 PM »
Oh dear! Sorry for over heating the brain again. If you're happy with that then go for it.  Sam's cider will still compete with Breton cider. :beers:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2017, 09:34:59 PM »
No worries Brian,

I think other buildings etc. need to be added to get a proper idea as it just looks like some sort of basilica on it's own and would probably look wrong wherever it was until they and other bits and pieces are in the equation.

I like cider from both sides of the water but have to be 'in the mood' for the Breton and Normand stuff. Don't tell anyone but I'm actually drinking CO OP Classic Apple Cider (5% vol. before you really get the wrong idea) at the moment. Not too bad when funds are low and the only other stuff was Magners in bottles. Here endeth the confession.  :-[

Hope to see Sam's cider at the planned Tremargat Cider Festival in the Summer.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2017, 09:57:03 PM »
 :hellosign: Looking  good Chris, thanks for the photos & enjoy your  :beers:
       regards Derek

Looking good Chris

Offline joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2017, 12:20:04 PM »
Why don't you leave the station building off scence ?

Aim for something like Boulogne Maritime in the 60s/70s where the station platforms are surrounded by roads.

Best regards,

Joe

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £327.00
Above Goal: £272.00
Site Currency: GBP
595% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything