!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Oakford Hills  (Read 2303 times)

Offline oncomin5torm

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Oakford Hills
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2018, 04:40:14 PM »
Thank you guys, after that post I have come to the realisation that I think a complete redesign of the track would be better, almost a starting from scratch.
The basic shape is fine I think I need to move thing round and see what I can do.

The basic design was from Simon's Shed and I modified it, I feel its a great design I just want more of my own touches on it, I have limited myself with putting the station in a specific place because that's the design I modified.

A big project this is (as yoda would say)
Don't try to be a great man, just be a man.
Let history make it's own judgments.

Offline Biggy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25735
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2018, 07:49:21 AM »
 As others have said this happens. I relaid and adjusted my track design five or six times before it felt right and ran reasonably well.
I am sure you will find you have learnt a lot from the first attempt and will achieve better results. Importantly you will have a layout you are happy with which is vital for enjoying the hobby long term.
Looking forward to seeing your progress. Keep going and enjoy.
As my Dad likes to say. “You’re not supposed to finish a layout that’s the fun of it”
Not sure its supposed to do that

Offline oncomin5torm

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2018, 06:21:32 PM »
Well I did it, After a week of being disheartened by my layout and needing to rip up some track and the hillside I had built, I cracked on with it today.

I will need more flexi and a couple of extra points to change the design to the way I need it to be.
When it comes to doing the hillside again I will be doing it lower as that one was just a bit too high.

I will ballast BEFORE I build the hillside this time round, I wont use short lengths of track and my points will not start right on the end of a curve.
All things I have learnt from making this layout.
The wiring is now being done simpler than before, as I am sticking with DC and not intending on going down DCC at all becuase I do not think I can afford the control system and then all the decoders.

That is all guys for now, It might be a few weeks before I can get cracking with the next set of track laying as I need to buy the flexi because I only have 1 length left.

Offline oncomin5torm

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2018, 08:25:04 PM »
Update time at Oakford Hills.

It has been a while due to work commitments and life in general, plus waiting for track deliveries to arrive.
The two main running lines are down and after some Sunday night emergency relaying after I discovered I didn't actually know how unifrog points work (I thought they were like insulfrog and had power routed only when point blades were switched)
All track is now back down and insulated joiners where required have been fitted.

It has all been Dapol 9F tested, so if that runs on it most things will.
The next step is to put in the double engine shed roads, which will have multiple isolating sections so i can accommodate more than one engine in the shed area at one time, the length of track leading to the engine shed is actually long enough to hold multiple 0-6-0 locos or a 2 car DMU with ease, the shed is big enough for the 9F to sit in comfortably.
I have also got to lay the internal sidings too, they may end up being changed from the original 3 sidings down to two, as I may have changed my plans for the abandoned one, keep watching to see what I decide to do.

I will be posting in the 'show your new locos' post the photos but I am having to invoke rule 1 on my layout for my latest two locos, Graham farish Class 66 and Dapol 4472 flying scotsman, my second scotsman, I have an older poole era farish one too.

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2018, 09:31:15 PM »
Update time at Oakford Hills.

I've just completed reading this thread and look forward to future posts. I'm even more interested after your last post. I've limited myself to DC so your accomplishments will be even more relevant to me. I enjoy reading (and watching video) about DCC layouts, but a lot of the posts are too technical for my complete understanding.

I'm impressed by how quickly you work. I'm rather slow and methodical - to my detriment. I'm just eight months into my project - from concept to design to track laying and completion of basic landforms. I'm actually further along than I expected to be when I started. I planned on a two-year project before realizing I'll never finish it! Two things I've realized are 1) there will still be problems when the project is complete, and 2) many of those problems are related to mixing rolling stock from different manufacturers. I've elected to us only Kato track and points, but some locomotives and/or coaches and wagons don't like the track geometry (that after I've altered many curves and removed a few tight points. As someone else has said, all of this is part of the interest in the hobby. I don't expect to see trains running without some problems or scenic design satisfying my expectations - but I'll keep trying!

Your photos and video are really helpful and greatly appreciated, so keep them coming!

Leon

Offline oncomin5torm

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2018, 07:03:51 PM »
A busy day today, I have made full use of my day off work.

This morning I laid and glued the internal sidings, I have had to change the number of sidings and their position.
When I did the change of the position of the points after the curves of each loop I ended up having to shorten the sidings, this also in turn changed the position of the second point on the sidings and it would have fallen on the baseboard support so I decided to drop one siding and have just a 2 road.

You can see from the old outline from track weathering how much distance the sidings have moved and that there used to be three.

The rest of the day was spent aligning up the track for the two road engine shed at the front of the layout, this was a troublesome exercise but I have managed to get it done, so glad I over ordered on the last order of flexi as my off cuts I had left from the rest of the layout tended to be a few mm short.

The main challenge for the day was correctly soldering droppers to the underside of the track, getting it wrong and having to gouge out a small gully in the baseboard to accommodate the feeder wires.
As I have decided to stay DC for the foreseeable I have opted for isolated sections on all of the sidings, I have done this so I can store locos on the layout and not have them going for a merry little jaunt out of the sidings whilst I am running stock.
The engine shed has 2 isolated sections per road, one runs from the point all the way to just outside of the engine shed and the other is inside the shed itself, this allows for a little bit of play and I can store 2 or 3 locos whilst one runs, on the inner track I can store 1 and run another desperately.

To control the isolated sections of track I have ordered myself 3 on-off-on switches, this way I can control power to one or the other off the same switch without having one constantly under power, so I can completely shut down the power or power either one, it also means less switches.

That is actually all the track laid down now, the next major job is ballasting, oh joys.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2018, 09:27:21 PM »
Sounds like very steady progress but.............

I can store 2 or 3 locos whilst one runs, on the inner track I can store 1 and run another desperately.

I reckon the last word should be 'separately' although some of my running can be desperate, too ;)

Offline oncomin5torm

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2018, 11:12:17 PM »
Sounds like very steady progress but.............

I can store 2 or 3 locos whilst one runs, on the inner track I can store 1 and run another desperately.

I reckon the last word should be 'separately' although some of my running can be desperate, too ;)

Your not wrong, separately would be better but they may well end up running desperately too.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £275.00
Above Goal: £220.00
Site Currency: GBP
500% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything