!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Loco servicing guide  (Read 2388 times)

Offline DaveGlew

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Loco servicing guide
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2018, 05:54:19 PM »
A little tip for those newbies who are going to dismantle their locos for the first time.....

Take out your mobile phone and snap pictures of each stage you are dismantling the loco, so that you know which bit went where!  This way, you shouldn't end up with a piece left over at the end, with no idea where it goes.

Andy
UK
I call those pieces "hedge bolts" from my maintenance days - if you don't know where they came from, throw them in the hedge !
If it looks right, it probably is right.

Offline texhorse

• N Gauge Society Number: 3953
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 05:56:41 PM »
 :laughabovepost:

I like it! 

Andy
UK
Montrose and Highland Railroad

Offline koyli55002

• N Gauge Society Number: 5508
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2018, 10:05:05 AM »
In my "working" days, I recall a second engineer who always kept a few nuts and bolts in his pocket....as he went around checking on the other guys working, he would occasionally slip one into the work site. When whoever it was had finished the job and reported to him, he would invariably ask if there had been any problems - if the guy replied "no" then he'd be in for a quizzing ........

Offline Micka

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2018, 10:16:23 PM »
Hi new to the forum and wondering if anyone as a service sheet for the Poole farish class 47 and if you can get still get spares for these old timers, thanks so much and a great forum some very informative posts.  I've collected a few locos over the years and finally have a chance to build myself a decent (in my eyes only) layout.  Would love to be able to get some of my older models running reasonably, thanks , kindest regards mick

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2018, 10:43:58 PM »
When servicing locos ,Layouts 4 You do a very nice little oil bottle with or without oil and it has a nice fine tip  only 1.50 for one that you fill with your own choice of oil . I use MaGeer which used to be the one recommended by Farish in the Poole days .But we all have our favourite brands as long as you DONT USE WD40 that would be fatal.
Bob Tidbury
« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 09:11:01 AM by Bob Tidbury »

Offline koyli55002

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2018, 01:04:09 PM »
Service sheets "per se" were not supplied for these early locos, but there is a useful guide for the older Farish chassis on the "Farish Shed" website here :-
http://thefarishshed.com/class-2533-service-guide/

Technically, the guide is for the 25/33 chassis, but the principle is the same for virtually all the early range.

Offline Micka

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2018, 09:05:44 AM »
Thanks so much Koy really appreciate the help, kindest, mick

Offline koyli55002

• Awards
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2018, 09:41:14 AM »
One tip I have found - make sure, when you reassemble, that there is as little "slop" in the armature as possible. Ideally, you should not be able to move it more than about half a millimetre.
Easier to adjust with the models where the connection between armature shaft is by means of a spring rather than the "dog clutch" arrangement, but it IS possible.

Offline Ralphniel

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2018, 12:10:34 PM »
Thank you for sharing those guides, Delboy!

Offline Delboy

• Awards
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2018, 12:13:10 PM »
You are welcome Ralphniel.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline taybridge-dave

• N Gauge Society Number: 28056
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2018, 07:51:55 PM »
Hi guys

This is me returned to the hobby after many years of too much focus on the grown up stuff.  Am currently getting my locos back to work from a shed that includes Farish 70s to present day, Minitrix and new Dapol.  Its also my first post on here so please be gentle.

I'm currently working on a Farish 101 DMU Poole vintage with 5 Pole (according to the sticker on the box)  motor 8 wheel drive including the intermediate gear set between motor and worm wheels.  I have managed to strip down mostly successful apart from one mid bogie axle and gear which is somewhere in the room having pinged off :uneasy: It has 2 split gears, one on the motor and one of the 12 teeth from the bogie.  Based on what I've read so far seems like these are easy to get from BR lines along with possibly the missing axle and new modern drive wheels.  Reassembly should be relatively easy  yeah??

I know that I'm a bit past service sheets on this one but I was quite excited to see what farrishshed seemed to be offering but when I've tried to follow the links tehy seem to be disconnected.  Does anyoone know what has happened.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2018, 05:40:10 PM »
Hi and a belated welcome to the Forum!

I'm no expert on repairing locos but I do know that as well as BR Lines Bachmann can also offer spares and repairs.

Take a look here: http://service.bachmann.co.uk/

Apologies if you already have that info.

Good luck and keep us posted with what you're getting up to.

Dave G

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £347.00
Above Goal: £292.00
Site Currency: GBP
631% 
December Donations

Advertise Here