New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol easy shunts always uncoupling even when they shouldn't  (Read 580 times)

Offline Paul-H

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
Dapol easy shunts always uncoupling even when they shouldn't
« on: November 30, 2017, 11:50:18 AM »
Hi all

Not sure if this is in the correct section, perhaps a mod could move it if not.

Just started using the Easi Fit magnetic couplings on my layout and have a small issue I cant resolve

Although I can get them to work I have an issue with the coupling always uncoupling when it goes over the magnet, even if i don't want it to, anyone else have this issue and how did you fix it.

I have tried going faster, I have tried adding weight to the wagons and still they uncouple going over the magnets.

Starting to think I will need to dig out all the magnets and replace them with electromagnets, although finding some strong enough may be a problem.

Thanks for any help with this

Paul
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

All tiepin as bean spell chequed on mi Pea Sea

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Dapol easy shunts always uncoupling even when they shouldn't
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 02:18:20 PM »
I have all this to come as I have, in my cupboard, the magnets, short/long couplings and the gauge so I'll be interested in replies. My intention is to cut the magnets in half as I believe they still work perfectly well and are easier to disguise. It may be worth you experimenting with one to see if it reduces the unwanted uncoupling you're getting :hmmm:

Offline Carmont

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 03:53:55 PM »
Hi all

Not sure if this is in the correct section, perhaps a mod could move it if not.

Just started using the Easi Fit magnetic couplings on my layout and have a small issue I cant resolve

Although I can get them to work I have an issue with the coupling always uncoupling when it goes over the magnet, even if i don't want it to, anyone else have this issue and how did you fix it.

I have tried going faster, I have tried adding weight to the wagons and still they uncouple going over the magnets.

Starting to think I will need to dig out all the magnets and replace them with electromagnets, although finding some strong enough may be a problem.

Thanks for any help with this

Paul

How smooth is the running? If there is jerkiness in the train, this could cause the problem you are experiencing. When travelling over the magnet, the tension in the coupling should preclude it from separating. If there is positive tension then it should be physically impossible for them to come apart.......

Is it definitely the magnet and not the track? Try refitting with non-magnetic dapol knuckle couplers and see what happens. If they still uncouple, it would point to an issue with the track. Also, is the magnetic definitely sited below the sleeper? Is the magnetic physically interfering with the metal swing arm on the coupler, for instance?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 03:56:29 PM by Carmont »

Offline Paul-H

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 11:57:41 AM »
Thanks for the replies

I have already cut the magnets

The Loco's are very smooth running

The coupling do seem to work fine if I push the Loco or wagon over the magnets uncoupled

Will have a look at the track to make sure its as smooth as it should be just in case I did something when fitting the magnets.

Thanks
Please excuse any poor spelling, I am Dyslexic, just think yourself lucky if you can actually read what I typed.

Offline LAandNQFan

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 12:07:58 PM »
You may need to adjust the dropper from the coupling more towards the centre line.  I am using proprietary magnets rather than the very expensive Dapol ones and bought ones which are really too strong, as I have to use them in pairs to provide the correct side to side polarity (which is why the Dapol ones are costly, I presume).  Nevertheless, adjusting the droppers has enabled me to get reliable running and uncoupling, and even delayed uncoupling on occasions.  :o
Perhaps the proof that there is intelligent life in outer space is that they haven't contacted us.
Layout thread: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23416

Offline Paul-H

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 12:35:19 PM »
Thanks

Will give that a go

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here