!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)  (Read 13724 times)

Offline jpendle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
Re: Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)
« Reply #240 on: January 19, 2020, 02:38:53 PM »
with the size of your layout I am sure you will be tempted to rush it, but as @crewearpley40 said, take your time, I know I rushed in my early attempts and regretted it.
cheers
Graham

You know, 10 years ago I would have been tempted. But now, and as it is so large, rushing it would still take months. So I'm going to take my time, and when I get bored there's plenty more to be doing. Finishing the line through Wallgate, making station platforms, fixing non runners, doing general scenery, and working out where and how to fit in more storage sidings.

Thanks everyone,

John P
Check out my layout thread.

Contemporary NW (Wigan Wallgate and North Western)

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39501.msg476247#msg476247

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #241 on: January 19, 2020, 09:17:36 PM »
 :hellosign:  :greatpicturessign:
    Thanks for the latest updates John, nice steady progress
        regards Derek

Offline ptopo

• Awards
« Reply #242 on: January 20, 2020, 10:38:13 PM »
Hiya, what a super layout with loads of potential. There’s some great lessons shared too, thank-you.

Regarding ballasting there’s lots of good guides and I include what I learned here...

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=20056.30

Pages 3-4 cover the subject - there’s plenty around ballasting points but the best tip I ever came across was to add a drop of plastic oil on the sides of the bit of plastic that joins the end of the switch rails (far end  from frog). This stops it jamming.

The only major tip I have is painting the rails first, it makes keeping them distinct from the ballast painting pretty easy with an airbrush.

On a less practical note I have to save some of the jobs I love (track laying, electronics) and switch into those I don’t (scenery) to keep variety on a long project.

Good luck!

PT

Good luck

Offline jpendle

• Awards
« Reply #243 on: January 29, 2020, 08:47:00 PM »
Today I decided to make a virtue out of necessity.

I have two Dapol CL86 locos, one powered, one dummy, in the old Freightliner Green livery. On both of them the wires for the lights have broken and I have spent a few frustrating hours trying to get them to work.

I also have a CL86 in the Freightliner swoosh livery which has been chipped and still has working lights.

After reading @acko22 's thread regarding FL Intermodal trains I realised that to be accurate I would always need to double head any Intermodal that had CL86 haulage.

That's when the light bulb went off!

All of my freights run in semi permanent rakes, so that meant that I could put the swoosh CL86 at the head of the train with it's lights on, and then couple one of my lightless 86's between it and the rest of the train.

My layout is DCC using a Z21 system and double heading is very easy as it doesn't involve tweaking any CV's to create a 'consist'.

Here's what was needed.

1. Take the swoosh CL86 and and set its speed to be displayed in Speed Steps rather than MPH.
2. Run it 4 times over a fixed length of track and 4 different speed step settings and record the times taken.
3. Open the traction settings on the Z21 for that loco and enter the values just captured.
4. Change the speed displayed back to MPH
5. Chip the lightless CL86 and give it it's own address.
6. Do the same traction settings exercise.
7. Add a 'Train' on the Z21 rather than a loco and select the two CL86's that will be used in that train.
8. Set the locos apart and make sure that they run in the same default direction, in my case they didn't.
9. Go back to the Traction settings page and check the box which says 'reverse direction of travel for multitraction'
10. Try step 8 again and they are now running in the same direction and at roughly the same speed.
11. Couple them up together and then to the train and make a video.

BTW I decided not to deliberately break the swoosh CL86 to turn off its tail lights, and I have yet to work out how to add a flashing red light at the back of the rack.

In this case I won't ever run these two locos separately, but if I wanted to it's very simple. On the Z21 you just stop the consist and turn off its lights. Then uncouple the loco's. Next select either of the 2 individual locos on the Z21 and drive it away.

Regards,

John P

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #244 on: January 29, 2020, 09:40:48 PM »
Like you I’ll never run my FL 86s separately, so I just gave them the same address. Even easier.

Swoosh livery is called “Powerhaul” FWIW.

Offline acko22

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #245 on: January 29, 2020, 09:52:13 PM »
Hi all,

Well @jpendle I am glad the thread is useful for you, Can I make one possible suggestion for the lone 86 if you want to get the lights playing.
86608 was part of an experiment between 2000 - 2016 and was numbered 86501 as part of this it ran as a lone locomotive, from what I understand (Before my rail working time) it ran rakes of around 20 wagons as a rule of thumb. thats if you want to get the lights working and maybe renumber it
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 10:21:24 PM by acko22 »

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #246 on: January 29, 2020, 10:17:51 PM »
86608  the former 501 was involved in a loco fire in 1975 at nuneaton on the then  1S26 Glasgow sleeper, suffered another in 2015 / 16 at Bletchley Skewbridge spending 2016 out of service then became 608 on 75mph / 80mph restricted presumably Crewe to Ipswich freightliners. The loco retained her more lighter yellow melony coloured shade at the front.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 10:20:00 PM by crewearpley40 »

Offline acko22

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #247 on: January 29, 2020, 10:24:02 PM »
86608  the former 501 was involved in a loco fire in 1975 at nuneaton on the then  1S26 Glasgow sleeper, suffered another in 2015 / 16 at Bletchley Skewbridge spending 2016 out of service then became 608 on 75mph / 80mph restricted presumably Crewe to Ipswich freightliners. The loco retained her more lighter yellow melony coloured shade at the front.

Yeah just done some more digging and you are indeed correct it was until 2016! As I say before My rail employment time so going off what source info I had! As for the yellow well don't let the shade change fool you, it more a case of fading anda :censored: batch of paint been put on all them years ago rather than a different shade entirely

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #248 on: January 29, 2020, 10:32:01 PM »
Sure. Google 86608 loco 2016 and theres Leighton logs , Flickr photos and some notes re 86608 and the gear work.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #249 on: January 29, 2020, 10:43:16 PM »
Google 86501 locomotive. Click o n ac locomotive group. Plenty of info there

Offline jpendle

• Awards
« Reply #250 on: January 29, 2020, 11:40:44 PM »
Like you I’ll never run my FL 86s separately, so I just gave them the same address. Even easier.

Swoosh livery is called “Powerhaul” FWIW.

I thought about doing that, but the Powerhaul one isn't quite as fast as the other so I did the speed matching just to be safe.

FWIW I am slowly working through all my fleet doing the speed matching thing.

I am able to get 2 of my 68's running in top and tail mode with Nuclear Flask wagons, and it also allows me to run 'unlike' locos the same way.

I have just come a cropper on the layout though.

I had one of my KQA's running at the back of the rake of FEA's and it kept derailing, the problem is the body mounted couplings on the FEA's. They seem to run quite happily together but don't play well with the KQA's.

That led me to try to add the KQA's to my Farish FIA's. I set the points on my fiddle yard and backed out the train onto the mainline. Or rather I didn't, as all the FIA's derailed.
Turns out that the Tortoise point motor on one of the points isn't working. I checked the output of the NCE Switch8 that I'm using and all was fine there.
So next up is removing the Tortoise to see what's up. I do have a couple spare, but as I plan on redoing the fiddle yard to add more tracks and length I may not bother fixing that siding.

Regards,

John P

Offline jpendle

• Awards
« Reply #251 on: February 02, 2020, 02:46:36 AM »
So two new loco's and some Realtrack PCA's arrived in the post this week.

I bought a Freightliner Powerhaul CL66 and another EWS CL66, both Farish.

The EWS CL66 arrived as 66111, but I already have that one from Hattons/Dapol as a weathered version.

I decided to re-number it and here's the result.

Which I think looks pretty good for my first attempt at renumbering a loco.

And here's couple of videos.

And I have a confession to make.  :sorrysign:

66135 was the very first loco I bought when getting back into N Gauge around 15 years ago.
I trashed the motor trying to get it to haul 22 Farish HTA's up a 3% gradient on a curve, and the body has been sitting in my spares box since then.
So renumbering 66111 consisted of, removing the body, adding the decoder, and then putting the 66135 body on instead. :D

Regards,

John P

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #252 on: February 02, 2020, 06:36:13 AM »
66135 was the very first loco I bought when getting back into N Gauge around 15 years ago.
I trashed the motor trying to get it to haul 22 Farish HTA's up a 3% gradient on a curve, and the body has been sitting in my spares box since then.
So renumbering 66111 consisted of, removing the body, adding the decoder, and then putting the 66135 body on instead. :D
That's not only honest, but extremely sensible.  In general, we don't do sensible in this house.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline jpendle

• Awards
« Reply #253 on: February 09, 2020, 10:31:38 PM »
Another quick update.

A bit more track painting & ballasting has been done.

Also I decided to get a booster for my DCC system. The Z21 is a 3A system but when you read between the lines it becomes apparent that it's maximum steady state current is somewhat less than 3A (between 2.5 & 3A). The Tortoise motors and their decoders take 1.6A, and then all my locos at rest take a further 1A, getting me close to the limit.
One other issue is that the NCE Switch8's that I am using to control the Tortoises do not play well with Railcom, so I've had to switch Railcom off on my Z21.
This got me to thinking that a booster just for the points, with the ability to turn Railcom off, might be a good idea.
I looked around and the Z21 10805 'light' Booster seemed to fit the bill. I looked at others, like Digikeijs and some US stuff but at just 80 euros the 10805 was one of the most competitively priced. It doesn't come with a power supply though. I decided against the Roco PSU (another 70 euros) and had a rummage in my box of redundant laptop PSU's and found one that would work. The 10805 was duly ordered and it arrived yesterday.

Got it out to have a look and found that the DC plug on my PSU was too big! Had another rummage in a different box and found another laptop PSU with a smaller DC plug that did fit.

Today I hooked it up to the Z21 and then disconnected the accessory bus from the Z21 and hooked it up to the booster, turned Railcom off on the booster and everything works as it should. So I now have an isolated accessory bus that can cope with more points, when I get around to adding to the layout, plus plenty of capacity on the main Z21 for more locos.

Regards,

John P

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #254 on: February 09, 2020, 11:33:39 PM »
Nice videos John, if I run trains that length I think they would probably catch up with them selves, wish I had so much room.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Please Support Us!
February Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: £65.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
108% 
February Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal