!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Points and controller  (Read 218 times)

Offline Tonee

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Points and controller
« on: November 21, 2017, 09:33:15 PM »
Hi, just wondering if anyone can help me understand how to connect PC2 Quad Point DCC Controller to a PM1 Point Motor please.The diagram shows 3 wires going from the controller to 4 connections on the motor, but i`m not sure whether one of the wires is split or another one is attached to it.
Would appreciate help please.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 09:49:06 PM by Tonee »

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Points and controller
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 09:38:13 PM »
One wire from each coil of the point motor goes to and shares the COM (common) connection, and the other wire from each coil goes to 1 or 2.   It's usually tidier to run 3 wires to the point motor and split the common wire there.

For example, I usually simply use wire strippers to separate the insulation of the common wire about 3cm from the end, slide the insulation forward to create a gap of bare wire then further strip the insulation at the end to expose the bare end. I can then solder the single wire to a connection on each coil, forming the common connection without having to join two pieces of wire.   In the photo below, the green wire is common and the two white wires are for the left and right coils.

[edit]

Of course, with a Seep point motor like the PM1, the common connection to both coils is already done for you. you just have to connect COM on the PC2 to C on the PM1, then connect 1 and 2 on the PC2 to A and B on the PM1.  Simples!
[/edit]
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 09:57:50 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Tonee

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 09:54:19 PM »
Sorry bit thick i`m afraid.
I have 1-COM-2 connections on the controller and A C D E F B Oon the point, so where do the 3 wires come from and go to?

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 09:55:36 PM »
@Tonee  - not thick at all, just unfamiliar.  You'll soon pick it up I'm sure.   

The respective wiring diagrams for the PC2 and the PM1 should help.
http://ccgi.dcpmicro.plus.com/traintech/pdf_manuals/pc2_manual.pdf
http://www.gaugemaster.com/instructions/pm1.pdf

See my edit above.  Basically

1 > A
COM > C
2 > B

You might need to swap the wires going into 1 and 2 if your point throws the wrong way!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 10:12:50 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £307.00
Above Goal: £252.00
Site Currency: GBP
558% 
December Donations

Advertise Here