!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Standards dropping?  (Read 13062 times)

Offline Graham Walters

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26013
  • Yes I support United...
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Standards dropping?
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2018, 12:46:13 PM »
Agreed Graham, my point is that someone has to pay for the rework and my guess is that it is taken into account in the selling price, so not only do we the customer get more bad product than we should, we are also paying for it.

I don't believe that is true. Dapol price there models (with an expected failure rate, as do other manufacturers). If Dapol thought they could reduce the RRP (and make more money) by adding a higher level of QA then I'm sure they would. It is not in Dapols interest to have higher RRP as they will shift less stock as a lot of modellers budgets are restricted.

The returned items are either sold through DCC Supplies (or by Dapol at there open days) as graded seconds OR are used as spares. https://www.dccsupplies.com/cl-325/dapol-outlet.htm

I think this may be true for a number of the smaller manufacturers not just Dapol, to be fair in my experience so far the quality coming out of China seems to be dropping, I think QC is taking a back seat to production, I'm not just talking loco's but decoders and other accessories too.
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Closed Public and Bank Holidays

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2018, 02:27:59 PM »
If standards are improving (and I'm not sure they are) then you would expect lead times to come down by the repairers e.g. BR Lines and DCC Supplies. From the comments made on this forum that does not appear to be the case :hmmm:
I look forward to adverts from BR Lines and DCC Supplies like "Got any locos needing a repair? Contact us now for instant action" :D

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2018, 02:44:34 PM »
If standards are improving (and I'm not sure they are) then you would expect lead times to come down by the repairers e.g. BR Lines and DCC Supplies. From the comments made on this forum that does not appear to be the case :hmmm:
I look forward to adverts from BR Lines and DCC Supplies like "Got any locos needing a repair? Contact us now for instant action" :D

My impression is its the older ones they are struggling with but time will tell.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2018, 03:32:23 PM »
D'you mean me? How very rude ;D

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2018, 03:53:39 PM »
I could't possibly comment  :D

Offline Graham Walters

• N Gauge Society Number: 26013
  • Yes I support United...
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Testvalleymodels
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2018, 04:12:51 PM »

Oh please do, we all have popcorn ready !!  :smiley-laughing:
Test Valley Models
testvalleymodels@gmail.com

Opening hours;
Monday Closed
Tues - Fri 1000 - 1700 
Sat 0900 - 1700 

Closed Public and Bank Holidays

Offline Snowwolflair

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2018, 04:18:02 PM »

Oh please do, we all have popcorn ready !!  :smiley-laughing:

:beers:

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2018, 08:44:48 PM »

I recently contacted Bob at BRlines re a DMU bogie and he said he wasn't accepting any more repairs until June.   :'(

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2018, 09:10:19 PM »

I recently contacted Bob at BRlines re a DMU bogie and he said he wasn't accepting any more repairs until June.   :'(

That's not bad actually, Caz. I recommended BR lines to a chap about 3 weeks ago and he was told the wait would be 13 weeks! :o

Offline austinbob

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23835
    • Awards
« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2018, 09:27:01 PM »
If it's 13 weeks to get a dodgy brand new loco repaired then that's appalling. I'd rather have a refund and buy something that's gonna work. Appalling,,,,  :veryangry:
Size matters - especially if you don't have a lot of space - and N gauge is the answer!

Bob Austin

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2018, 09:31:33 PM »
The item concerned was not a new model but whether that has any bearing on it I don't know.
I seem to recall BR Lines don't do Dapol repairs. If so, we're veering off the topic :sorrysign:

Offline NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2018, 01:47:37 AM »
...........  If so, we're veering off the topic.  ..........
"Veering off the topic" ???  Well, I suppose there has to be a first time.
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

| Carpe Jugulum |

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2018, 09:56:32 AM »

That's not bad actually, Caz. I recommended BR lines to a chap about 3 weeks ago and he was told the wait would be 13 weeks! :o

I can do repairs on both if folk need quicker - I just repaired @Newportnobby's Dapol 9F.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces. Dr. Carl Sagan

Online longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2018, 10:01:08 AM »
Alan - you have a PM

Offline Les1952

• N Gauge Society Number: 9060
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2018, 11:33:43 PM »
I don't actually think Dapol's standards are dropping- or Farish's for that matter.

I have a large (and I mean well into three figures) fleet of UK outline steamers, and about 40 diesels at present.  To that add in the fifty or so Continental locos I'm beginning to get above the "statistically insignificant" proportion of output.  I have very few problem children in amongst that lot - an A4 which defies all attempts to get its bogie to track properly turning right (it turns left without an issue) and an A1 that prefers the company of BR Lines to mine (just back after its 4th repair), together with high mileage wear and tear items.

In general-
I've found Fleischmann, Piko, Arnold and Minitrix to be just as poor when it comes to their rate of poor runners/decoration discrepancies as the UK manufacturers.

I also run OO and have a 100% poor QC rate with Heljan- bits dropping off randomly- a punter at a show commenting that a the diesel in front of him has just shed its buffer beam is an interesting conversation starter....  Likewise some of the QC threads under Hornby, Bachmann etc on RMWeb make interesting reading.

When a Chinese assembler has a bad period it tends to affect a number of locos close together- my three poor Farish 4MTTs returned to Hattons were probably assembled by the same worker within 30 mins- and not that well assembled.  My tip here is if you send something back get the replacement tested and you may actually have more luck changing shops for a replacement.

Both Dapol and Bachmann work very hard to design errors out of their products- Dapol get more stick partly because they are somewhat more upfront in admitting problems than Farish. 

On repairs- DCC Supplies are a lot faster than BR Lines, but also a little more expensive.  if a loco out of warranty develops a problem I can't fix easily that loco goes off for an overhaul as part of its repair.  My locos work hard for their keep- each loco on Hawthorn Dene covers a mile each day the layout is on show- and there are 22 of the fleet doing that daily mile.  At Ally Pally only one loco of any make failed completely over the two days of the show- a Union Mills J27's motor packed up.

Les

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal