!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Standards dropping?  (Read 10668 times)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+52)
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Standards dropping?
« Reply #135 on: November 27, 2018, 01:16:55 AM »
Back to Dapol N.  I purchased two panniers from the NQP returns this year.  Both stated as "runs backwards".  Both ran backwards, one badly the other  not well but now fine after a long running-in.  However BOTH had had the cabs removed and the blanking plates were upside down.  Turning a 6-pin blanking plate upside down causes the loco to run backwards on analogue.   In other words BOTH had been fiddled with by the purchasers and returned as faulty.

Makes you think.

It does.

It makes me think that it's far more likely the reason for the DCC blanks being up wrong way is that the original purchasers had fitted them with their own DCC chips, found running just didn't cut it, and therefore rescued their chips by removing them and unwittingly (or uncaring since they were returning) then put the blanks back in awry. This seems far more potentially credible, and as such, jumping to the conclusion that it was the 'idiot user' to absolve Dapol may be inaccurate.

There is no doubt that some purchasers will return things that have basically been destroyed by them - overoiling is a good one, and I've seen a few that the flailing soldering iron has attacked. The way folk treat models, it's hardly surprising, I continue to remain amazed, shocked, and many other things, at quite how careless, carefree, and rough folk can be with items that are not cheap!

But equally, poor QC, assembly, and even assessment of models when they have been returned seems to still predominate. Only recently I got a cheap Schools with a "bad wobble" - the reason turned out to be a tyre slightly unseated in its tread - 10 seconds to seat it properly, model works perfectly. Had Dapol looked at this properly and spotted that they could probably have resold it for 30 quid more. Alas, instead, it will become the front end of my second D49.

Equally, there are tails of woe, like a recent A3 Scotsman, with a completely wonky front end, warped downward footplate, lifting the front drivers up via the front bogie. That took complete body disassembly to find horrid factory assembly with the smokebox saddle moulding glued on with excess glue at an angle. All had to be stripped off, cleaned up re-seated, removed and more material removed before it sat squarely as intended. Slap dash factory throwing together is the only explanation.

I guess what I get at here is that everyone can throw out a "it was the idiot user" (and there seem a good number, that's for sure) only for others to throw out an "it was the idiot in the factory/at Dapol" counterexample. Both exist, and will continue to do so. Good design can, however, go a long way to minimise both.

As an aside, I also wonder what Dapol do with the DCC decoders in the DCC fitted returns - none that I've bought have had them installed (and have had the DCC fitted packaging markings scrubbed out), but all have had a DCC blank put back in. If Dapol are removing them to use in other locos then that's extremely dubious, and probably illegal. I can't think what other reason they could be, unless they've been selling on a load of nearly new decoders someplace.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

“We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster. We might get away with it for a while, but sooner or later this combustible mixture of ignorance and power is going to blow up in our faces.” – Dr. Carl Sagan

Offline trkilliman

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: November 27, 2018, 07:59:05 AM »
A very balanced assessment/opinion Dr Al. You make some good points.

Not very long after Dapol took over the Manor from Ixion I remember hearing the Manor was costing under £20 to produce in China. I mentioned it on here but IIRC nobody commented, possibly thinking I was deluded in some way.

Items are cost-engineered across a wide range of goods. I was told a story, by a trade insider, about a large tool retailer. They will go to a manufacturer with a specification for a power tool, saying we will order "X" thousand pieces and we will pay you "X" for each one. The manufacturer if interested sets about designing it within this price frame building in their manufacturers profit.
I know that carpentry hand tools such as planes and chisels started to be cost engineered around the late 1960s/early 70s. These days a Plane straight out of the box can require a few hours of fettling. Plate glass with wet and dry to flatten the sole, which is usually left with grind marks and sharp edges. The exception is if you pay upwards of say £100 (my Stanley no.4 plane as an apprentice cost £3-7/6d,and was useable from the box)

Getting back to our model trains, could cost engineering be playing a part in so many duds from the box/or a short life span? Could some of the failures be down to sloppy assembly in the factory? Are they being produced so cheaply that there are high production targets to be met by the operatives? Perhaps being produced to a set low cost, if this is the case, results in so many NQP ones becoming available...and it's uneconomical to even look at the problem in the U.K?  This may explain why NQP items sometimes have a "fault" that takes a few minutes to rectify. It does make me wonder...

Offline bigmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: n/a
  • 2mm Association Number: n/a
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: November 27, 2018, 11:00:18 AM »
Appropriate even though the loco is OO...

I've just come away from Warley with yet another DJModels Austerity.  This an NQP shop return.  What is wrong with it?  Handrail above opening smokebox door is broken off.  Looking at the spray weathering the handrail was definitely in place when the weathering was done.

Inside the smokebox the circuit board has been pulled out and pushed back inexpertly.  Loco runs fine-

deduction- the purchaser has pulled off the smokebox door too violently and snapped off the handrail above it, then sent the loco back as defective.

Back to Dapol N.  I purchased two panniers from the NQP returns this year.  Both stated as "runs backwards".  Both ran backwards, one badly the other  not well but now fine after a long running-in.  However BOTH had had the cabs removed and the blanking plates were upside down.  Turning a 6-pin blanking plate upside down causes the loco to run backwards on analogue.   In other words BOTH had been fiddled with by the purchasers and returned as faulty.

Makes you think.
Les

i recently won a pannier on ebay--stated to have glue marks on the cab sides.  it ran backwards.  helpful advice on facebook was to check the blanking plug--it was upside down. the glue marks were where someone had tried to glue back those fine handrails--both were sticking out.  all sorted now. nice runner.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 11:01:29 AM by bigmac »
i used to be indecisive...but now i'm not so sure.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #138 on: November 27, 2018, 12:47:52 PM »
There is a similar problem in the online fashion world.  Women (possibly some men!) buy a dress and wear it for one night.  They then unpick a seam and return it as unfit for sale and get a refund.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £345.00
Above Goal: £285.00
Site Currency: GBP
575% 
November Donations

Advertise Here