!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Train Waiting's Trains Waiting (and, occasionally, moving)  (Read 14051 times)

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
Re: Train Waiting's Trains Waiting (and, occasionally, moving)
« Reply #345 on: September 10, 2019, 02:13:03 AM »
My guess is that it IS a swing bridge, but not over a canal. Maybe another railroad? Perhaps at Newtongrange, necessitated by the Borders Railway?

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #346 on: September 10, 2019, 09:11:08 AM »
Hello Chums

Many thanks for all these fascinating replies.  I agree, Martin, and found the presence of the (MT) bird feeders on railway property most entertaining.

It's certainly not in NSW and is in the UK, although not in England.  The answer is:

A nice little ex-Highland Railway signal cabin in which I spent many happy hours over 30 years ago.  It had signals then, but was reduced to a bridge cabin in August 1988 with the introduction of RETB.

The swing bridge is over Thomas Telford's Caledonian Canal, opened in 1822 and still in use.  It's an interesting location as the swing bridge is between the Works Lock and the Sea Lock.  A little further south is Muirtown basin, once served by a goods-only branch line, a road swing bridge and the flight of Muirtown Locks.

Clachnaharry even had a station, closed in 1913, and the single line became double, although the track was gauntleted below the road overbridge.  It was double as far as Clunes if I recall correctly.  All single line now, of course.  But, despite the efforts of the LMS in the '30s and BR in the '60s and '70s, the railway is still there.  Sorry @crewearpley40 , you named the location, but thought it was closed, and then headed over to the other end of the Caley Canal.  Well done, Mike @daffy !

As for the place name, in my time living thereabouts, it was though to mean the Stone of the Watchman.  More recent scholarship appears to suggest that it means 'Stone of Repentance'.  However, Clachnaharry has lovely views west along the Beauly Firth and east out towards the Inverness Firth with the Kessock Bridge arcing across the middle distance. 

Thank you for looking and best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #347 on: September 10, 2019, 09:18:53 AM »
But even sadder.... Buffin's post above is unfortunately correct! Commuters to Sydney from here often have to sit on the floor!!!!

They can reach the floor to sit on it? Luxury! Do that here and you’ll have 5 people stood in your lap! ;)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #348 on: September 10, 2019, 10:16:28 AM »

guess 2 - Clachnaharry - closed

Good spot, Chris :claphappy:

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #349 on: September 13, 2019, 07:46:25 PM »
One of my non-employers required me to be in Dumfries for a couple of days this week.  From Edinburgh there are two routes; up the Caley main line to Carlisle and back down the G&SWR to Dumfries or through to Glasgow and up the G&SW.  It's been absolutely ages since I was over the 'Sou West* so I chose the latter option.  There are now five electrified routes between Edinburgh and Glasgow and, having not been over the Caley Glasgow line (via Shotts) since electrification, I chose that one.  This also had the advantage of arriving in Glasgow Central and avoided the walk from Queen Street (a 'bus is also available - I've never used it!)

Back in G&SWR days, there were through trains to St Pancras over this route (from St Enoch, of course), known as 'The Pullman' and 'The Diner'.  In LMS and BR days the prestige train was 'The Thames-Clyde Express' which some enginemen still called 'The Pullman'.  Now the train goes to Carlisle or Newcastle and a 2-car DMU suffices.  Standard class only and not guaranteed a trolley, so neither Pullman nor, necessarily, Diner.  It's a lovely run, though, and the DMU works hard over Shilford and Polquhap summits.

That's my train waiting departure from Platform 8 at Central.

*'Sou' pronounced as in 'A Boy Named...' and not to rhyme with a female pig.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #350 on: Yesterday at 07:52:51 PM »
We’re in Devon for a day or so and staying only a hop and a jump from Greenway Halt on the P&DSR.
Although we can’t quite see the trains from our temporary abode we can certainly hear them.
So....here’s local resident Lydham Manor heading into Greenway Tunnel from the halt headed towards Kingswear.

Now, I know that the P&D isn’t everyone’s cup of tea but it works for me.
We’ll be looking for Agatha Christie tomorrow as we head towards Kingswear and Dartmouth.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations

anything