New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Coldhill - with much hindsight!!  (Read 6134 times)

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
Re: Coldhill - with much hindsight!!
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2018, 02:09:42 PM »
Success :thumbsup:

Offline Masher69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26763
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2018, 02:24:05 PM »
Thanks. A couple of stills. My wife got a new phone recently and what a difference in the quality of the photos.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2018, 03:35:52 PM »
Nobby. Thanks. It seems to have worked. Using an Apple but got there fingers crossed.

Glad it worked for you. Note that Dropbox will only allow 2GB before you have to start paying out. Deleting any file will then render any link on the forum invalid.

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2018, 06:33:43 PM »
A little while since the last post. I think I've been spending too much time looking at the forum instead of getting on with my layout. However have managed to get some work done over the last few days. Have had a go at the Ratio cattle deck - a couple of mistakes but not too bad and now trying to get the paintwork right. Also a bit of scenic work at the right hand side and also the Dapol signals wired and working. A few more buildings to design and build and a lot of fencing to paint and install. I am still finding the artistic side a bit difficult. Never mind a few photos to bring things up to date. Apologies for the quality of the photography, lighting etc etc.

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2018, 10:29:18 AM »
A bit more progress made on the down platform and the post has just delivered the station name signs from scalemodel scenery. A little more work and the platforms etc  should be ready for planting on the layout. Also brought out a couple of Metcalfe kits for the farmhouse and cottage which I built some time ago - debating whether I should use them or scratch build. Having scratch built the station and farmyard buildings I feel a little guilty using the kits but I am using the Ratio cattle dock so why not?

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2018, 10:38:54 AM »
It's looking great. :thumbsup:

The Ratio cattle dock is an excellent kit. Mind you I glued the brass railings to my finger during construction!

I wouldn't have a problem with mixing kits and scratchbuilt. It can work quite well.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2018, 12:07:41 PM »
A lovely looking layout. It's coming along really well and has a lovely feel about it.  :thumbsup:

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2018, 08:25:51 PM »
don't worry about mixing scratch built, download kit, plastic kit and Metcalfe.

I intend to sit Faller plastic building kit next to Smart Models download kit and Kestrel plastic kit, scalescenes card kit and Metcalfe all together in an eclectic mix.

mucky them up a bit to blend them in :)

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2018, 03:40:42 PM »
A little more progress with the layout. The down platform has now been fenced and the station has eventually got its name boards. No buildings yet fixed down as I still have a bit more work on ballasting etc. After a break over Easter the fencing contractors have been back to complete the fencing of the field up to the bridge.
As the locos had not had a run for a while I gave a run out and a bit of track cleaning and maintenance required. The larger Dapols don't want to deal with the setrack turnouts but if I build a second layout will certainly use flexi and electrofrogs! Hindsight is a wonderful thing!!

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2018, 04:11:04 PM »
That all looks excellent.
The top picture looks very believable. I love the bridge which, to me, sets everything off so well.
As for the points , just make sure no crud has collected either side of the plastic frog.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2018, 07:44:18 PM »
That all looks excellent.
The top picture looks very believable. I love the bridge which, to me, sets everything off so well.
As for the points , just make sure no crud has collected either side of the plastic frog.
Totally agree
    regards Derek

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2018, 08:16:04 PM »
Have to agree, coming on nicely Masher.   :thumbsup:

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2018, 08:43:22 PM »
Hindsight is a wonderful thing!!
I quite agree!  If I were to start again now, I would do things a lot differently.  As it is, I'm having to bodge things up to get them somewhere near what I would have wanted.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: April 11, 2018, 07:57:35 PM »
Well got round to doing some ballasting today. I did part with the usual 50/50 mix etc so waiting for this to dry. I had acquired a tub of Magic Ballast so thought I would give it a go using the recommended 1/7 mix and sprayed with water. Almost 3 hours later it had not set and was still as dry as the proverbial. I have given it another soaking so will wait and see how it looks in the morning.

I remember this subject coming up on other threads before but has anyone used it without hiccups?

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2018, 04:21:31 PM »
Eventually picked up the courage to have a go at the goods yard surface. Have done a little bit but not sure if I am entirely happy with the results. After toying with cork, Das and other materials decided to just fill in with filler and paint. OK this area needs a little more work and probably some adjustment to the colour. I'd be interested to hear what others have used. I know that on Wrenton cork was used as a base and I will probably try that for the coal siding which is on the other side of the main lines. Thanks in advance.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here