!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sutton St Annes - Provincial North-West Lancs - 1990-1995  (Read 13923 times)

Offline 37058

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14122
  • 37058 Stafford 29-05-99 1D71 1203 BNS - HHD
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Sutton St Annes - Provincial North-West Lancs - 1990-1995
« Reply #240 on: April 10, 2019, 11:49:43 PM »
Evening all

Here's a job I have been meaning to do since getting SSA onto the exhibition circuit - Adding an extension to the traverser board. Originally this was never intended to be exhibited, so I was happy with a 6 road traverser, but since completing 4 shows (with another 3 to do this year) it has become apparent that I really want to show off and run more trains, especially some more loco hauled stock and DMU's that I have in my collection. 

So on Monday morning I set to and went into the garage to start planning the extension... After sipping lots of tea, scratching my head and vaping away on my pen, I finally came up with a plan! I also had a rummage through my spare (scrap) pieces of wood and came across a nice piece of MDF from another project, which by luck was virtually the size that I needed. I already had some set track points in stock, which are good enough for the extra sidings, so off I went butchering, measuring, sawing, gluing and screwing! 

I made a frame out of standard 2x1, glued and screwed this together then securely fastened this to the traverser. Once I had cut the MDF to size, this was then placed over the top. Then it was tested for smoothness back and forth and finally securely fitted to the existing traverser base.

You can see that I have cut into the No. 1 road and installed a LH hand set track point, then added another 2 RH. I have ordered a third, hopefully this will be here tomorrow. The third in the photo is another LH point turned upside down (just to measure) The beauty with this is that I don't have to muck around adding further wiring or isolating sections. Insulfrog points have been used, so I will rely on those to isolate the sidings and the power feed will come off the existing No. 1 road. Simples... Finally cork was glued down and the track glued into place.

A quick photo of the progress so far. I will also be putting back the 'safety' beading around the edges, to prevent any falling incidents! Where the 108 and 153 sits, there will be another 2 roads going in here, once the last LH point has arrived. All being well, this will be complete for the Mountsorrel show this weekend :beers:

Cheers
Anthony
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

Next exhibition for SSA - Wrec-Rail - Saturday 29th June 2019

Online crewearpley40

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #241 on: April 11, 2019, 02:28:28 AM »
looking good

think we all would love to see progress !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blue / grey era diesels / electrics and suitable stock

Offline 37058

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #242 on: April 11, 2019, 02:05:21 PM »
looking good

think we all would love to see progress !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers mate.

My last RH point arrived today :D However, I have found that I can fit one more in with ease! So ordered another :thumbsup: This will give me 5 roads now! This should be here tomorrow. So yes, all will be complete for Saturday, well hoping Friday night! 

Cheers
Anthony
Sutton St Annes - Provincial north-west Lancs - 1990-1995 http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39173.0

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #243 on: April 11, 2019, 02:35:51 PM »
anthony

look forward to hearing how mountsorrel went and the woodwork looks neat - i have been off today rummaging around
repairing a damaged baton or two after the flat refurb. is it a slidingtraverser / fiddleyard ?

Offline 37058

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #244 on: April 12, 2019, 10:49:02 PM »
PHEW!

And we're all set :claphappy: Finally managed to get the re-working of the traverser board finished today. Even managed a lick of paint...

I have also been busy updating the front of layout blurb. Note that I have re-worked the Sutton St. Annes logo with a more authentic and appropriate type for the time period modelled. This style of station sign (with the Lancashire Rose) was very common on stations across the Fylde coast. Just whipped it up in publisher. 

Still a few more job's to do, but they can wait until after this weekends show.

Hope to see some of you there :beers: Why not kill 2 birds with 1 stone? It's also the GCR spring diesel too! Come and visit both ;)

Cheers
Anthony

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #245 on: April 12, 2019, 10:57:04 PM »
Hope the show goes well mate. Excellent work on the extension and woodwork. Chris

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #246 on: April 12, 2019, 11:21:25 PM »
Hi Anthony,

Good stuff. Looks very neat. I love very neat, I'm just not very good at it.

Have a great show and hope to see you again down South one day.

I'll be thinking of you drinking tea while I'm having a beer and watching football  ;)

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #247 on: April 12, 2019, 11:58:46 PM »
Hope the show, and the tea, go well! :beers:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Online Jimmy77

• Awards
« Reply #248 on: April 13, 2019, 01:51:46 PM »
Excellent work! looks very good.

Are you going to motorise the traverser?

Cheers,

Jimmy

Offline 37058

• Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #249 on: June 28, 2019, 12:14:03 AM »
Evening all.

Wow, I'm a little behind with updates! Apologies for not replying sooner. I've had a lot going on since my last 2 shows in April. Anyway, I'm back out on the road again this weekend at Wrec-Rail. A lovely little show, which I attended as a punter last year. I had a wonderful day and I'm proud as punch to be attending again this year, but with SSA in tow. 

St Nicholas Church Hall.
Rectory Lane,
Little Bowden,
Market Harborough,
Leicestershire
LE16 8AS

There is no flyer or website, but here is a list of exhibits, traders and DEMO's.

N gauge:
Hither Green PAD (Carl White)
Lymebrook Yard (Steve Farmer)
Sutton St. Annes (Anthony Ainsley-Sutton)

OO Gauge:
Reading Signal Works
Southgate DMU Depot
C & W Yard/ Trodinnick Yard
Cappenham Yard

O Gauge:
Botterill Street Yard

TRADERS

Book Law
Keiths Model Railways
H & A
S Kits

DEMOs

Dicky Dockerill
Phil Eames
Kevin Dickerson
Paul Wade
Phil Sutton

Light refreshments will also be available.

In other news....

I have been beavering away giving the platform a little refresh. It's looking more Network NorthWest now with the repainted lamp post's. Also note the standpipes, grit bins, platform numbers and a arrival / departure information board. Can you spot the tail lamps? A few more extra seagulls have also appeared! In addition to the platform refresh I have also added hand point levers, clamp lock micro switch covers and pump units. Note the yellow rail safety barrier next to the stabling point. Still more to do, but that can wait for another day.

I have managed to finish off another loco and a rake of stock. Just in time for this Saturdays show :laugh:

31455 'Our Eli'

Another tarted up China Farish 31, but this time with a roof fan cowling and vertical grills. I had the cowling 3D printed by a friend as this is something you have never been able to buy in 2mm. Thank you @Only Me  For some strange reason I think it makes the 31's look even more beastly! Other details include NRN roof pods, offset headlight, plated over boiler port, windscreen washer covers and ETH stowage sockets. Good old Shawplan etched nameplate too. **Dapol knuckle couplers have now been fitted**

Who needs to spend £100+ on a new re-tooled version! You can pick these up for as little as £40! (Sorry Mr P at Farish) Give them a good service, add a little detail and jobs and good en. They are still very pleasing to the eye and all my re-worked 31 fleet run like a swiss clock.

I have also completed another rake of Mk2a's. This time an ex NSE rake, but with a RR Mk2 BSO in the middle.

Nice simple job, just removed the NSE branding and added the blue stripe. These where FOX provincial white and blue transfers with the white cut away. Hardest part was getting the NSE Mk2's split from the Capital Connection set!

PHEW :doh: What an update! I've not even mentioned how the Ivanhoe show went back in April! (13th & 14th) It was a grand weekend and the new traverser extension worked a treat :) Was lovely to run more stock.

And on that note, it's time for bed :sleep: but I'll leave you with this...

Cheers
Anthony

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #250 on: June 28, 2019, 01:20:33 AM »
thanks for that anthony

great to hear your around mate.  hope the family are well. super work on 31455 livery circa 93 / 94 / july 95 - was she a bescot allocated loco ? those club trains reminded me - thanks for the
blast to the past. super station additions

cheers for now. chris

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #251 on: June 28, 2019, 08:58:33 AM »
Great update, and I agree about the old Farish class 31. Mine was one of the first locos I bought and it still runs/looks very good.
As for the platform additions sadly I reckon Elf 'n' Safety' would be after you nowadays for 'trip hazards' ;)

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything