!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Mixing Settrack with Streamline Turnouts and Flex. track  (Read 599 times)

Offline saddlers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Last attempt was Trix Twin 60 years ago...
    • Awards
Mixing Settrack with Streamline Turnouts and Flex. track
« on: October 23, 2017, 05:38:38 PM »
I have dismantled my old Settrack and embarking on a new adventure. I would like to use my Settrack curves and straights but would prefer to use Streamline Turnouts and Flextrack to extend my new layout. I need to restrict the overall base board to 5ft by 3ft 6".

I would value any advice on how best to integrate these noting that the Tracksetta templates (NT9 will) only match the no 1 Radius Curves and not any of the other and the other templates do not match any of the other Set Track curves.

Any guidance would be most helpful
Steve.
Your help is always appreciated

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
Re: Mixing Settrack with Streamline Turnouts and Flex. track
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 06:18:33 PM »
You can do it, you will just need to use the Flexi to make any bits that don't match up, match up.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 07:55:13 PM »
Hello Steve

I have done a bit of this and it works.  To make matters easier, you need to make sure that you don't accidentally get Code 55 Streamline track (not that it can't be combined with Setrack!).

You then need to decide on the six-foot way, or track spacing.  My guess is that, given your desire to re-use your Setrack curves, you will choose to use the Setrack spacing on the nifty little Peco track spacing gauges.  But you can experiment using your longest locomotive and rolling stock to see the required clearances.  The tighter the radius, the wider the track spacing required for the same length of locomotive and rolling stock.

Finally, if you use the Setrack six-foot way, comes the matter of crossovers.  Streamline points give Streamline spacing and Setrack points give Setrack spacing.  To use Steamline points with the Setrack six-foot way requires one to cut distance pieces.  For the medium radius points the length is 30mm.  The excellent Peco 'Technical Advice Bureau' told me this and it worked well.  For larger radius points, you can contact them for advice.  I found them very helpful.

Finally, if you take the opportunity to use 'Electrofrog' 'live frog' points, please remember to insert a pair of insulated rail joiners in the crossover.

Best wishes for your project.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 08:40:00 PM »
I dislike mixing codes so as set track is code 80 I would purchase code 80 flexitrack and points, with the points being electrofrog.
I would also recommend the use of a straight tracksetta for the, um straights :D

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 08:45:34 PM »
I have dismantled my old Settrack and embarking on a new adventure. I would like to use my Settrack curves and straights but would prefer to use Streamline Turnouts and Flextrack to extend my new layout. I need to restrict the overall base board to 5ft by 3ft 6".

I would value any advice on how best to integrate these noting that the Tracksetta templates (NT9 will) only match the no 1 Radius Curves and not any of the other and the other templates do not match any of the other Set Track curves.

Any guidance would be most helpful
As others have said Set Track is Code 80 and both flexitrack lengths and Streamline points are certainly available in Code 80. As long as you stick to Code 80 everything will be nice and easy. Do bear in mind that flexitrack lengths come without rail joiners so you’ll need a supply of those. Mind your fingers when fitting!
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline saddlers

• Last attempt was Trix Twin 60 years ago...
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 03:59:11 PM »
Appreciate your comments. Thanks for taking the time!

Steve
Steve.
Your help is always appreciated

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here