!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Freelance track plan - "Kellerstätt"  (Read 4052 times)

Offline RicardoFig

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Facebook
    • Awards
Freelance track plan - "Kellerstätt"
« on: October 01, 2017, 12:51:51 AM »
 :wave: :wave:

Welcome to my layout topic where i will present the (small) steps towards the layout completion (will it ever be complete?  :D).

"Harthofen" is my second attempt at layout building (the first was in 2005 with a Minitrix start set) with no specific location in mind as the station names were all picked at random, and the rolling stock will be mostly from late III to early V, all DB, except from a Re 4/4 from SBB.

I don't want to build nothing very serious and spectacular, and i took some liberty with mixing up rolling stock in the consists. I am selling some Ep. III stuff and replace them with IV / V units, since that is my favorite era: Until the changes are complete the consists will not be realistic, but... i just want to have some fun by now and to operate some trains.  :beers:

The layout plan:

Every operation session must follow a timetable (only Harthofen stations are represented on the layout). Non-listed trains are possible, but must fit on the current station operation diagram: For me it adds extra fun to "solve puzzles" and to follow a guide at the same time.

A mixed local train and a Talgo on tests:

My second DCC locomotive, a Brawa V160 purchased last year. I am now moving to Ep. IV/V, so it was a somewhat silly purchase:

The Regio trains will be operated by the Eurosprinter and 3 "Silverfish" cars. A proper locomotive for this is now on wish list:

Also with another Eurosprinter (i know that only 1 was produced, lack of motive power for now  :D), the full consist of the InterCity trains:

The only SBB locomotive is for freight trains only. There were a few units equipped to operate in Germany, so i guess this is one of the group ;D

« Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 06:58:05 PM by RicardoFig »

Offline RicardoFig

• Facebook
    • Awards
Re: Freelance track plan - "Harthofen"
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2017, 01:18:21 AM »
The passenger platforms were one of my biggest fears, since there was no retail ready model, and the platform edges available are not so cheap to use in the full area of the station.

With a few evergreen references that i have in stock, i have made today a few measures and prototypes for the platform:

The total height is 8mm from the base.

With some foam to give the platform a proper temporary shape, i decided to add the catenary masts (now at the correct height with the foam at base  :doh:) and the retaining wall:

Track nº 1 & 3 already with a temporary platform also. They look somewhat high right now, but i guess that when with track ballast  and the pieces glued down to the base they will look acceptable .

With the talgo set on line nº2: This line will receive passenger trains 3 times a day, but the platforms looks and feels very narrow to me.  :hmmm: Probably that wall will be trimmed.

Central platform, lines 1 & 3:

To finish today, a small video with the Eurosprinter:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59039484@N03/37369682236/in/album-72157688870822955/

Tips on platforms are most welcome, the profiles will be improved with some vertical evergreen bits. For the center i was thinking of balsa wood, with some sand paste to give some texture, but not sure yet.  ??? ???

Thank you for your time.  :thankyousign:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2017, 03:44:26 AM »
My knowledge of European trains is minimal, Ricardo, but I do like the track plan - especially the curvature of the tracks in the scenic section. Will the long straight at the rear be hidden from view?
UK platforms are quite different and mine are set 11mm from the baseboard as we don't step down as far as in Europe and I believe there are strict safety laws about platform widths.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 09:28:25 AM »
Hi Ricardo,

We have spoken (written) on another thread but great to have another Continental layout on the Construction side of things  :claphappy:.

All looks good to me.

With regard to the platforms. Firstly, I can't give advice on making your own but there is info on here from those who have done and hopefully someone can either help or guide you to that information. I tried it in the past with not much luck.

European platform heights are still a mystery to me in that they vary so much from country to country and place to place in that country. Yours look good. I did travel around Germany in the 80s and think they were higher than the French ones but they all have seemed to change over time.

The platform width you mentioned does look a bit small but it could be because that is a thick wall so, as you said, trim it, width wise so it can go back a bit and maybe lower it a bit as well so it's not so domineering.

Anyway, probably not much help but thanks for starting the thread and sharing the pics. Looking forward to more.

Cheers weave  :beers:
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 09:30:49 AM by weave »

Offline broadsword

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 10:15:23 AM »
Platforms in Europe can be anything, in Italy I've walked across tracks to board the train
from ground level with steps coming out from below the door , other stations had full height
platforms as in the UK.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 10:31:03 AM »
Hi Ricardo,

Did find this but too hungover to do the maths....

https://german160.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/platforms2.jpg

Offline RicardoFig

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 12:14:09 PM »
My knowledge of European trains is minimal, Ricardo, but I do like the track plan - especially the curvature of the tracks in the scenic section. Will the long straight at the rear be hidden from view?

Thank you!

Yes the rear long straight will be hidden, the trains will enter and leave the layout via 3 tunnel portals, each one giving access to a small yard, only the station and the curved secction will be visible.
With the two points on the left side is also possible to operate the layout as a complete oval if by any reason i dont have space for the yard anymore. The layout is built in 3 independent modules, plus a 4th for the yard, so it should be easy to move.

Hi Ricardo,

Did find this but too hungover to do the maths....

https://german160.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/platforms2.jpg

Thank you!  :beers:

I was going to post that link today.  :D
After i found it i went for the basement with a ruler and, if i did measure it correctly:

My platform goes 3mm above rail heigth, so converting that value that should correspond to 480mm, between the first and second examples.  :hmmm:
N scale rail is somewhat oversized, so i guess that the heigth is ok, even if stands low compared to "Mittlere Bahnhöfe".

As for space:

The width of the platform between tracks is 3,3mm, reaching the minimum as stated on that document.
The top platform has only 2,3mm.. i must give more space.  :hmmm:

A nice sunday to all!  :beers:

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 12:21:22 PM »
For my german layouts built since the 1980s, I've used 10mm plastic square C shape for the edging, scribed to represent slabs on the top surface. I filled the space in between with balsa and then a layer of plaster filler, sanded smooth and spray painted.

My platforms are quite low.

Here you can see original platforms constructed way back in 1996, and new ones under construction in 2006....

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Hiawatha

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 01:44:17 PM »

My platform goes 3mm above rail heigth, so converting that value that should correspond to 480mm, between the first and second examples.  :hmmm:
N scale rail is somewhat oversized, so i guess that the heigth is ok, even if stands low compared to "Mittlere Bahnhöfe".

As for space:

The width of the platform between tracks is 3,3mm, reaching the minimum as stated on that document.
The top platform has only 2,3mm.. i must give more space.  :hmmm:

Ricardo, don't forget that these standards have been developed quite recently (probably in preparation for ICE traffic). In "typical" 1970s epoch IV nobody gave a thought about barrier-free access or dangerously narrow platforms. Platform heights were different in every station except for S-Bahn stations which allowed entering a 420 without a step. I also remember platforms being quite low and you had to climb up three steps to reach a typical train.

And what's important: These standards are only for new-built or rebuilt stations. In older stations, even larger ones, you can still find such narrow platforms, or divergent platform heights. I think your platform heights and also the narrow platform are very realistic for epoch IV. They just didn't look that narrow as there were no safety lines back then. :no:

And such warning signs also came after epoch IV ... ;)
Peter

Offline RicardoFig

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 05:43:33 PM »
That is a very good point.  :thumbsup:

I will get back to the heigth later on, as i am not 100% happy with the 8,5mm, even if the platform looks tall on photos.  :hmmm: :hmmm:

From yesterday run, a Talgo that cannot chose lines.  :worried: :doh:

Ricardo Figueiredo, on Flickr

Offline RicardoFig

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2017, 11:46:41 PM »
Going back to this:

I've used 10mm plastic square C shape for the edging, scribed to represent slabs on the top surface. I filled the space in between with balsa and then a layer of plaster filler, sanded smooth and spray painted.

My platforms are quite low.

I started again with my platforms.

The local shop did not have any "C" shape Evergreen strips, so i went for the "H" shape with 9mm height, working great with 8mm balsa wood, with a perfect fit between the inside "H" section on the two styrene strips.

The following photos are from a mobile phone:

Station area, with two new lines already on place and the rear section hill finished in 2/3 of the diorama. The first platform near the edge was already removed since that line is for freight wagons or accessing the freigth terminal:

Regional train entering the station, with the first layer of the road surface already on place:

Testing the platform texture. I believe that after a layer of paint it will get smother, as i dont want it 100% plain. This is just a test with modeling clay with a hard brush:

Open area for freigth loading/unloading, with two modern container wagons just for the fun of it. No clue for what is going to be on this space yet, got to research a little more

Have a nice weekend,  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 11:53:31 PM by RicardoFig »

Offline RicardoFig

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 11:17:09 PM »
After more than a month where no single train was powered on tracks, its impressive the layer of dirt and dust on the rails after a few changes in the layout with new rails placed, new scenery, and a few holes for new feeder wires.  :doh:

Since last week i got a good deal on two second hand locomotives and i want to test then as soon they arrive, today was cleaning day. :veryangry:
With the track and wheels cleaned, the 4 locomotives went for a few non-stop laps, using the 2 hidden track points and not entering the yard.

At the end of the session all the locomotives were stored in the station:

Harthofen Hbf - 11.05.2017

Now its time to wait, since GLS says that they don't have anything with the tracking number given by the Royal Mail, and Royal Mail said that the parcel was passed to GLS.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 11:36:17 PM by RicardoFig »

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 11:31:56 PM »
Hi Ricardo,

Thanks for all your pics. All looking good.

Hope your parcel problem gets sorted.

Looking forward to more (and your new purchases).

Offline RicardoFig

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 12:47:19 AM »

Hope your parcel problem gets sorted.

All ended up well, thank you for your words.  :beers:

Still with the platform height on my mind, while searching for X-Wagen pictures i came across these two images:

http://www.lokfotos.de

(Do not know the original author)

The first is the typical S-Bahn height, but in the second  the distance to the platform is very similar, so i guess we are good to go:

With the recent purchases already in place, a new timetable was made: "Harthofen" is now served by a S-Bahn line to "Heida", with 5 services a day ending in this station during peak hours. These 3 photos were made during the first timetable live testing today:

Branch line train nº 210 arriving at the station, with the 6:50 S-Bahn nº 12001 waiting for it.

Mixed train nº 902: the last 3 wagons will be stored for pickup, and the rest of the train will enter the branch line.

One of the three international coal trains on line 2, waiting for a regional train before entering the single line.

:beers:
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 01:04:43 AM by RicardoFig »

Offline RicardoFig

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 08:44:07 PM »
"Day simulation" with the new timetable completed! :claphappy:

Last services: a freigth train waits for the InterCityNigth to pass, so it can pick up those 4 wagons and resume service into the main line, while the S-Bahn train is stored for the first service of the day:

64 services a day with lots of reversing locomotives (all the time with the BR 218 from the branch line, i need a railbus  :angel:), shunting direct InterCity carriage and a few wagons.

6 derailments, all between 2 specific modules (the track is only aligned, not fixed to the base with any other thing than glue), and 8 times that a locomotive has stoped with no power.

The timetable will need a few adjustments, but it was a fun exercise.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 08:45:48 PM by RicardoFig »

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
July Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal