!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tiree  (Read 19956 times)

Offline The Q

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Tiree
« Reply #270 on: May 02, 2020, 10:05:57 PM »

Time to build more of the radar. 
By an amazing piece of serendipity, the hollow rod that came with the job lot of plastic materials is a perfect friction fit on the drive motor shaft.

So at the moment there's a foot long tube of plastic sticking out of the radar building..

I've solved the constructional problems..
 By cheating,
 On the real thing the aerial is supported just by the steel frame work.  I've glued a hidden circle of plastic  to the roof of the building, around but not touching the shaft,  to which the first floor is glued.  It's painted the same Matt Black as the roof . So that can hold it steady while the rest is built..
The first floor has been painted green, Now it awaits the grids to be installed.

The core of the rotating cabin has been made,  and the door stuck on.  But various excrescences need making and gluing on.

I need to find a PSU and give the motor a whirl before going much further.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #271 on: May 03, 2020, 09:34:59 PM »
The excrescences were attached,  namely two down pipes two sides plus guttering all round,  and an extractor fan outlet.
A base coat of green was applied to the cabin,  with just to bottom to do.

Then the grids were stuck to first floor a very fiddly task.

The next.scenic board was made,  thin ply base reinforced one side to take the attachments. It's now sitting with 3iches of glued on foam under some heavy weights.

Tomorrow,  more foam to add,  and some carving of today's new foam. Finish painting the rotating cabin.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #272 on: May 04, 2020, 10:10:06 PM »
Due to tasks domestic,  not much modelling done today.
The green paint on the rotating cabin was too yellow,  so I've mixed in some bright blue green,  it looks a lot better wet,  we'll see tomorrow when it's dry.
The scenic sub module is again sitting under weights,  as the second layer of foam now sets,  this is the layer that gets carved into..

Good night.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #273 on: May 07, 2020, 09:27:24 PM »
Evening all,
The paint was still too yellow,  I ended up pouring some out of that tin, then adding some blue and white to get the right tone of green.

The second deck was made, assembled and glued into place.  The rotating cabin was put into place not glued,  and the shaft put through....

Err not good,  a misalignment,  meant the cabin was tilting,  and the shaft at an angle.
So both were removed and the holes through widened.  The shaft put through and the motor moved till it aligned.  In doing so I've displaced two of the legs.

At that point having knocked over the box of paints luckily the lids stayed on, and repeatedly dropped the screws for the motor I retired from action before i damaged something seriously..

Hopefully when I've fixed the legs I'll take some pictures before building the imitation radar motor deck and turntable.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #274 on: May 09, 2020, 02:09:21 AM »
First job this evening was fixing the legs,  fairly easily done with  a couple of spacers glued under the legs, and when dried trimmed to exact shape.  As they took a long time to dry,  the only other work was cutting out the Peedie models industrial walkway. I could go no further with that as I'd left this gadget with the pictures down at the house, and it was not worth wandering down and back.

So the next scenic sub board was removed from under it's weights,  and carving commenced.  Not yet finished,  as I try to visualize the shape of the hillside and road thereon.

Next,  more carving,  cutting to size of the walkway and gluing the bits together.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #275 on: May 11, 2020, 09:36:09 PM »
Evening awl,
The scenic sub board has been roughly carved to a shape I like,  it's now down in the garage,  to remind me to cut and fit the plywood trim required on 3 sides.

The T84.radar has advanced slowly ,
The stairs to the first deck have been fitted as far as the intermediate landing where it bends round a leg. 
The landings attached to the first and second decks have been made and glued on.
The third deck has been made,  the small extension arms which attach it to the legs  have been made and the assembly glued to the legs.
All very fiddly stuff with my big fingers and tiny parts..
Next  on the radar is to put the rest of the  stairs in , and make the four motor assemblies.

I must remember to take a photo or two tomorrow.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #276 on: May 12, 2020, 10:02:19 PM »
Evening all,
Not much done today just a section of steps added,  and some painting done.

A problem of 0.68% scale, is the tiny radar.  When you work on something that size you end up working on it  1 ft to 18 inches from your eyes. I get very disappointed with my work and my inability to model everything correctly . I see every imperfection because I know what is there in 100% scale because I've worked on it. 

What I forget is the punters watching from the front of the layout will be viewing from a scale minimum of 450ft probably more like 600ft

And so here is a picture of my work so far with this tablet held at a scale 200ft.

Note the top of white drive shaft,  is approximately to the top of the future aerial.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #277 on: May 13, 2020, 09:38:59 PM »
Evening all,
 Today's work was the cutting to size of 5mm thick plastic,  in order to make 4 drive motor cabinets and the Big supporting and balancing arm that's under the dish itself.

That doesn't seem much,  but it involved studying several photos, measuring a dimension I know,  then scaling the dimensions I don't know. Then choosing what I though would be the nearest imperial measurement . For instance I know the aerial is 21ft high and 60ft wide.  Scaling the arm width on various  photos gave me a range of values from 13ft to 15 and a little bit feet,  so I settled for 14 ft width..

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #278 on: May 18, 2020, 10:09:28 PM »
And....
The next day I dropped it...
Top deck came off.
Since then repairs have been made and the cross beam made 14 of them from 2mm rod carved down at the ends to simulate the adjusters on the Real thing. I'm leaving off the cross beams at the back of the rotating cabin deck for access.

Been to tired to do much,  I laid 57 slabs yesterday, as a base for a replacement shed.
I'm considering the colour for the building,  originally they were painted white to reflect the light / heat of a nuclear near miss. Then green camouflage,  though I note now Neatishead's buildings are RAF blue.

I've decided to go white,  as Tiree's buildings were that colour,  and it will show all the work I'm putting into the aerial supports. 

A picture of its current state.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #279 on: May 26, 2020, 09:53:30 PM »
I hadn't realised it was so long since the last post.
Anyway progress was slow I spent several evenings making the core of the aerial.  Working from pictures I was carving two supposedly identical bits of 5 mm thick  plastic card  when I was happy they were glued with spacers either side of the drive column. Then compared to pictures again...
Not happy with shape so I added two more pieces either side,  and carved to shape again.
After a few more adjustments I was happy. So tonight I've started gluing the skin on see the two pictures..

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 09:54:49 PM by The Q »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #280 on: June 08, 2020, 08:56:15 AM »
Unfortunately I've been recalled to work, this means progress has slowed..
the "edge " skin you saw in the last photos was completed.
Then after much studying of photos, the top and bottom curve was cut, and then it was sanded down..
I'm now debating whether to fill the vacant space with a very lightweight filler, or attempt to plasticard the face and somehow get a smooth surface..

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #281 on: June 12, 2020, 10:07:17 PM »
The decision was to fill the face with lightweight filler,  Fortuitusly, it arrived this afternoon.
So both faces have been filled,  I'll leave it till next week to sand down and give it a finishing coat.
The radar building has been given a coat of white paint as was the branch line station building.
The next decision is whether to make the top of the box the radar is mounted on look like tarmac or concrete..

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #282 on: June 13, 2020, 03:25:40 PM »
The decision was to fill the face with lightweight filler,  Fortuitusly, it arrived this afternoon.
So both faces have been filled,  I'll leave it till next week to sand down and give it a finishing coat.
The radar building has been given a coat of white paint as was the branch line station building.
The next decision is whether to make the top of the box the radar is mounted on look like tarmac or concrete..

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #283 on: June 26, 2020, 10:12:47 PM »
Not much done tonight,  I filled and sanded all the surfaces of the radar before a second coat of paint..
Then I fell asleep.. It was hot in the mobile home..

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #284 on: July 17, 2020, 10:13:00 PM »
Not much done over the last few weeks .
Sanding filling and painting of the radar,  and tonight some grassing of a hillside and the strip farmed area.

My better half, made little Baron, a model of one of our late collies.,  it will sit on my sailing boat I'm rebuilding, as its named after him.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal