!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tiree  (Read 19978 times)

Offline The Q

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Tiree
« Reply #225 on: January 24, 2020, 11:08:00 PM »
Well the hill doesn't look like the photo yet,  but it lost a large chunk of height with the application of a large rip saw. Once tidied up and a smaller hill created for the war memorial.  It was then coated with the usual J cloths covered in a PVA polyfilla mix.
After our tea break it then got a wash oh green and grey to give a rough idea of its future colours.

I'm very much happier with its looks,  next week finer hill modifications are to be made before grass is applied...

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #226 on: January 31, 2020, 11:17:35 PM »
Work on the layout went well,
1 , sanded roads to  get them smoother,
2, dug ditches either side of roads for highland drivers to find,
3, very fine layer of polyfilla applied to smooth roads further,
4, runny polyfilla applied to ditches to stop polystyrene showing through
5, excess polyfilla used to smooth a field a bit more.
6 tea break
7 road tarmac'd ( painted grey)
8, field painted green,
9, lochan painted browny black mix, water allowed to run into burn..
10, a road was moved so the ditch coincided with the board join,  some long grass in there should hide the join.

Next week I hope to start growing grass on this board,  and I need to start constructing a bridge and it's foundations to hide a bit more of a board join.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #227 on: February 07, 2020, 10:54:26 PM »
Drat,  forgot this gadget, I need to take more pictures, 
First task was to make a section of removable hillside this covers a tunnel to the fiddle yard.  Usual polystyrene covered in Polly filla and PVA mix.

Then I started to plant some grass,  but the grass wouldn't stand up,  I think the static gun needs new batteries.

Last week I painted the lochan dark brown... It's still dried a bit light,  however it got it's first coat of clear PVA.  Which didn't dry quick enough to get a second coat. I'm hoping to paint alternate PVA, thin paint layers to give some depth .

After that just some rock and road painting..

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #228 on: February 21, 2020, 11:10:13 PM »
One of these days I'll remember this gadget..
No work done last Friday as I was in Scotland to visit my dad who was seriously Ill in hospital. But they are now talking of releasing him if they can arrange nursing attendance at my parents house.

This week..
New batteries in the grass gun made a big improvement,  I've left the batteries at the MRC  some they don't get cold in the landrover.  Another section was grassed but I didn't want to get grass in the lochan yet so there is much more to do.

Boo boo 1 last time I built a removable mountainside to cover the hidden track to the fiddleyard. That looked good from one side,  today I noticed that looking from the other way at 90degrees. There was a 2 inch step  ....opps..  More carving followed by replastering..

Boo Boo 2 there is a bit of land between the high-level branch line and the low level main line,  I've made it much too rocky, much grinding down of pollyfilla lumps is required..

The lochan had a second coat of clear PVA as it is still very Matt. I need to review some pictures before I started adding more colour to the layers.

Bye for now..

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #229 on: February 28, 2020, 10:21:18 PM »
Evening all,
First thing this week was to take a surform to some plaster rocks,, there needs to be some old hillside between the branchline cutting and the mainline cutting.
This was then coated with pollyfilla mix,  to give a smoothish  surface .
After that it was out with the grass gun and much more was covered..

And... Some pics yep I finally remembered..

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #230 on: March 03, 2020, 09:38:56 PM »
This may seem completely random but I was reading about Marble Quarrying in Scotland in conjunction with a plan for a possible SM32 garden railway. There is only one quarry on mainland UK that quarries marble and that is at a place called Ledmore in the NW highlands - near Ullapool and Lochinver. However, there were marble quarries on some of the Scottish isles that included Skye (which had a narrow gauge line), Iona and, what-for-it, TIREE! I smiled and thought of you and your layout.

My only question is, so where's the Marble Quarry on the layout then?

Looking good as always.  :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #231 on: March 05, 2020, 08:07:32 AM »
Hang on, I've another station, a Airport, A distillery and  a ferry port to fit in.. You want a marble quarry as well?

Actually I didn't know about that or the nearby limestone quarry (interesting geology them being so close together). But it appears  the quarries were closed before 1800 due to transport difficulties... Now if they had a railway...

Will this do instead?

I'll look at seeing if i can fit a quarry in , it may have to be T gauge track...
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 08:09:12 AM by The Q »

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #232 on: March 05, 2020, 08:56:12 PM »
Excellent! Ho ho. You're rght about the quarries having transport issues. The Marble Line on Skye was the best solution methinks.

Regarding T gauge -  that is a grand idea but, from what I have seen, the locos are a bit fast. It would have to be a static feature but one well worth considering.  :thumbsup:
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #233 on: March 06, 2020, 10:54:29 PM »
 Evening all,
A ply wood piece was marked up to match an existing hillside, it will be cut tomorrow,  it's the start of another clip on sub board , this will hold the pier and the MacBraynes agents buildings.
The two cuttings had their rock faces turned rock colour.. And some intervening future grass areas painted green.
Then some fence sections were glued into place. Many more to do.

That's about it,  it all took longer than it should..

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #234 on: March 13, 2020, 11:10:06 PM »
Evening all,.
The plywood mentioned last week was attached to a batten, more ply and some extruded polystyrene to form the new clip on board. Much carving of said polystyrene will occur next week.

One more length of fence was attached,  though more needs to be done to it to match it to the land contours.

A fair amount of static grass was laid, but I need to do some colour matching to the previous board. next week. Then some soggy ground tufts need planting .

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #235 on: March 20, 2020, 10:10:45 PM »
The club was well attended by me myself and I,  as those older than some big four locomotives,  and those with "underlying issues " have withdrawn for the duration.  Allowing the rest of us to self isolate at the club...

My statement last week the this sub-board would hold the pier was incorrect,  the pier is on the next board this one is just coastline.

While carving it I was deciding how to make it look. I decided that Loch Skipport would look good.  It's not on Tiree but on South Uist ( not pronounced yewist but ouuist)
That was abandoned by the time I lived in the Hebrides and the pier has fallen into disrepair.  But it was an interesting approach.. Try looking at Google Maps street view... Though I notice the driver chickened out and didn't go all the way down....

Anyway it was carved into the basic shape and plastered up.
This was followed by some hovering of last week's grass laying,  a two 8inch pieces of fencing were put up.  And...... Half an hour of cutting 15mm bits of wire for fence posts...

Next week more landscaping on that sub-board fence posts to  put up,  and hopefully a few piccys..

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #236 on: March 21, 2020, 07:50:34 AM »
Next week more landscaping on that sub-board fence posts to  put up,  and hopefully a few piccys..
If the government don't order all model railway clubs to close. :D
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #237 on: March 27, 2020, 10:00:24 PM »
Just back from the MRC where it was me, myself and I in attendance...
The new scenic sub board was in wedding cake white,  but now has undercoated grey rocks and roads with green hillsides.
This showed up some errors, so some digging into said hillsides and then ridge building elsewhere was required.

I didn't stay that long as all this physical work round the garden on the enforced 84days off is very tiring..

Note MRC = Mobile home Replacement Clubhouse,  in my garden.. This is where parts of the layout have taken temporary residence, it does have the advantage of being a hundred yard walk from the house instead of a several Mile drive . But talking between just me myself and I  is not so interesting.. .

Next time some piccys I think,  that may be tomorrow if I feel like it..

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #238 on: March 29, 2020, 07:07:21 PM »
You might get bored,  but there will be more posts from me at the MhRC.
So this afternoon I wandered down the garden.

I spent the time,  working on the access road and hillsides down to the pier.  I had to cut away a couple of small bits to get the slopes right.  Then I started creating stone walls from the plaster.
And so a couple of pictures..

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 07:09:05 PM by The Q »

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #239 on: March 30, 2020, 04:34:07 PM »
Today I separated the scenic board from the main board. To reduce visibility of the join I had plastered them together,  so I used a slitting disc to part them.

The next task was to improve the road walls and rock faces down to the pier,  much easier when you can rotate the small board.

After that another wash of green on the hillsides to make it easier to see what I'm doing.

Then the first varnish coat on the loch and burn, several will be needed with paint washes between.  I need to plant some rocks in the stream though..

Just thought .. I need to cut a small "well" for a cattle grid that's another task for tomorrow..
 A MacBraynes bus has been ordered,  I'll also need a lorry,  that may have been in use in 1963..

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal