!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: facing points  (Read 1626 times)

Offline MalcolmInN

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: facing points
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 09:01:16 PM »
Perhaps you could elucidate further?
Please refer to track diagrams of Glasgow Queen Street, and you will see this unusual arrangement
Sounds interesting but I cant find the layout  or track diagrams !
On the home page "The Layout" only links back to the home page. There are only two other active links, one to "Rolling Stock" and the other to "Computer Control".
"Scenic Area", "Fiddle Yard" and "Sound" are not active.
Where am I going wrong ?

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:12:24 PM by MalcolmAL »

Offline terrysoham

• N Gauge Society Number: 22528
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 09:30:07 PM »
To use a point to isolate a section of track is, I suppose, acceptable in order to save an isolating switch and some wire but it is not prototypical!
Terry Metcalfe
Ely and District Model Railway Club
Owner of Neely, modern N scale representation of Ely, available for exhibitions

Online ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2017, 09:34:31 PM »
To use a point to isolate a section of track is, I suppose, acceptable in order to save an isolating switch and some wire but it is not prototypical!
Yes indeed, and I originally did that on my layout on a couple of headshunts but it annoyed me as I found I was always automatically throwing both points to protect the main line.  Eventually I cut a rail and fitted an isolating switch on each headshunt.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2017, 09:39:27 PM »

Agreed, totally un-prototypical! Real locomotives don't run off 12volts pumped through the two running rails.

:helpneededsign:

Offline terrysoham

• N Gauge Society Number: 22528
    • Awards
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2017, 10:19:11 PM »

Agreed, totally un-prototypical! Real locomotives don't run off 12volts pumped through the two running rails.

Touché
Terry Metcalfe
Ely and District Model Railway Club
Owner of Neely, modern N scale representation of Ely, available for exhibitions

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2017, 10:22:52 PM »

Touché

Please please please don't take me the wrong way. (many do) I am being tongue in cheek. But I will still suggest that while there is a 'best way' that most will agree on, we have to accept there are an infinite variety of ways to wire up and control a model railway, and there are valid points about most of them. I am not saying that my example is the best way, but it works, and I am building a railway that a 5yr old can use, he doesn't understand isolating switches, but he can set a route through a fiddle yard via switching the points with ease.

Horses for courses!

Matt

Offline MalcolmInN

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2017, 02:58:40 AM »
Please refer to track diagrams of Glasgow Queen Street, and you will see this unusual arrangement
Sounds interesting but I cant find the layout  or track diagrams !
On the home page "The Layout" only links back to the home page. There are only two other active links, one to "Rolling Stock" and the other to "Computer Control".
"Scenic Area", "Fiddle Yard" and "Sound" are not active.
Where am I going wrong ?
can not see any misplaced hyperlinks in the source  code of the home page either ? >>

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2017, 01:35:14 PM »
Having Googled images of Glasgow Queen Street I'm still none the wiser too. Dammit the suspense is killing me!

Offline davecttr

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2017, 09:02:44 AM »
How about this. Up and down Mains with a branch running parallel to the right. Facing point on the up main, double slip on the down main and point to give access to the branch. The facing point and double slip can act as a crossover plus the slip gives access to the down main from the branch. 4 point switches required?

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2017, 09:09:16 AM »
Why would there be an extra point? Double slip on the down main and facing point only, surely?

Would still only need to be switched in two ways though - crossover straight/diverging and branch line straight/diverging.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2017, 09:15:39 AM »
Having looked at the above posts, your situation is a little more complicated than I expected, but I offer this from experience with my old layout:

A simple run around loop at a terminus station can have two points or even all four of them operated from one button, even on DC.

If the CDU has the oomph to do it.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2017, 09:53:25 AM »
How about this. Up and down Mains with a branch running parallel to the right. Facing point on the up main, double slip on the down main and point to give access to the branch.

Only needs to be a single slip, to exit the branch onto the down main.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline davecttr

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2017, 09:33:24 AM »
How about this. Up and down Mains with a branch running parallel to the right. Facing point on the up main, double slip on the down main and point to give access to the branch.

Only needs to be a single slip, to exit the branch onto the down main.

Yes that would be my solution as I would not need a crossover between the main lines. Still 3 switches needed though, one for the up main point, one for the slip and one for the branch (branch runs in both directions, 'country' one way and platform etc the other)

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2017, 07:13:33 PM »

I should be very grateful if you would kindly post a track diagram of GQS in the appropriate era so that I can see this unusual arrangement.

With many thanks and best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here