!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Closing down in Banbury!  (Read 1187 times)

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
Closing down in Banbury!
« on: September 12, 2017, 11:12:27 PM »
Just a info-post.

Trinders toys and models in Banbury are closing down. The owners are retiring and selling the building, so are closing the store.

They've never been huge on model railways, but did stock track, materials, scatter, some stock, etc. They are currently having a closing down sale with scenic stuff at 20% off plus some other stuff at 20% off. Managed to find a Gaugemaster DCC 6-pin at 16, some scatter, humbrol paint (3 for 2). No stock worth a mention for us. Managed to spend 80 some how.

Sadly another resource soon to be lost.

Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Online themadhippy

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Closing down in Banbury!
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2017, 11:49:11 PM »
They've  only just moved,there old shop across the road is still empty.As for stock,the modeling side  shrunk  after the move but is/was still a usefull source for  bits an pieces,will have to nip in tomorrow to see if anything needs buying. 

Offline robert shrives

• N Gauge Society Number: 8743
  • 2mm Association Number: 4424
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 07:30:53 AM »
Hi ,
Shame to read as it was a good source of bits and staff were great in the old shop, new location always seemed short change compared. Good bargains check cabinet near till for N gauge stock.

Robert

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 09:16:05 AM »
Thats a great shame ,when I was a kid I lived at Bodicote Lawn Childrens Hostel and we used to get One shilling a week pocket money 6d every week to go to Saturday pictures to watch Dan Dare and other serial programes and 6d to save or spend .I used  to go into Trinders and the man had a book and I used to give him my 6d and he used to save it for me untill I had enough money to buy a Triang wagon or point or extra track to go with the train set Mum and Dad saved up for .we used to keep our toys in a big chest of drawers one draw each ,some of the other kids were jealous of me and smashed my track up Mr Moore the man in charge of the Hostel went fown to Trinders and they let him have a brand new complete set at what I now as trade price and Mr Moore gave me a key to his office so that I could keep it safe ,as I was the oldest child there after all the others had gone to bed I used to get my trains out and set them up on the huge table in the play room and then lock them away in the office again afterwards.
Trinders allways let me have things a little bit cheaper after that ,and as you can see Ive never forgotten that.
Bob Tidbury
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 08:46:03 PM by Bob Tidbury »

Offline trkilliman

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 11:23:41 AM »
That is a really touching story Bob, thank you for sharing it with us.

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 12:29:43 PM »
trkilliman thanks ,I was very lucky in a way Bodicote Lawn Childrens Hostel was run by Mr and Mrs Moore who treated us all as their large family and as the oldest one and their first intake after they took over I did get a lot of privileges ,there was fifteen kids including me and my sister and when you read stories about other childrens home it really makes me glad that we were there .We did go.home from time to time but I was there from the age of five to eleven and then Bledlow Ridge childrens home till the age of fifteen .Every time I went home I went to a diferent school for a few months Nine schools in all .
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread but I thought I would answer here as it was a sort of follow up to the original post.
Bob Tidbury

Online emjaybee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
  • Grumpy, and proud.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 02:07:00 PM »
Bob, you're more than welcome to borrow this thread.

It's a lovely tale.

Michael.
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline middlefour

• N Gauge Society Number: 14770
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 03:37:57 PM »
What a shame, I often visit Banbury and Trinders was always worth a look. Last time I was there the 'new' shop did have a sort of closing down soon feeling about it. The only other model railway shop sort of in that area is the Railway Conductor at the Old Dairy place at Upper Stowe just off the A5, well stocked but a bit chaotic!!
Steve

Online themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 04:14:36 PM »
The only other model railway shop sort of in that area is the Railway Conductor at the Old Dairy place at Upper Stowe just off the A5
A+H  models in brackley is at least 10 miles closer to trinders than upper stow, easier to get to by public transport,and like trinders has a pretty good chippy near  by.

Offline middlefour

• N Gauge Society Number: 14770
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 11:54:17 AM »
Thats why I said 'sort of in the area' and for me Upper Stowe is nearer.
Steve

Offline roundhouse

• N Gauge Society Number: 20577
    • PhotoBucket
    • Model Rail South East
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 05:34:45 PM »
Been in there quite a few times on our visits to survey the real Banbury station and visit the various drinking establishments. Friendly staff so it a shame to see it go.
Modelling N scale  USA and UK

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £30.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
55% 
September Donations