!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: How to Curve FlexTrack 180 degree angle  (Read 667 times)

Offline bkrenderman

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Instagram
    • Awards
How to Curve FlexTrack 180 degree angle
« on: January 02, 2019, 09:01:59 PM »
Happy New Year everyone!!!
This is my first post in 2019. I hope everyone must have had wonderful holidays.

While figuring out my layout I found this method of curving flex tracks much easier and smooth. Let me know if you think this method is better than just manual curving.
I have not found any tutorial that explains 180 degree turn so I created one. hope will be helpful.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: How to Curve FlexTrack 180 degree angle
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 10:46:09 PM »
That may be ok for something like Micro Engineeering's fine code 55 rail, but not so sure it would be as effective on Peco 55 which is stiffer due to the 50% embedded rail. Peco 55 rail really doesn't want to slide within the sleeper molding.  Notice in that video the way the rail is severely bent the wrong way in front of the guide batten, and has to be helped back into shape.

Just seems a bit brutal to me, much easier just to mark out the centre line and lay the track along that line, holding in place with temporary pins or weights while the glue dries or while you add the final pins.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 10:47:14 PM by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline bkrenderman

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2019, 04:28:11 AM »
That may be ok for something like Micro Engineeering's fine code 55 rail, but not so sure it would be as effective on Peco 55 which is stiffer due to the 50% embedded rail. Peco 55 rail really doesn't want to slide within the sleeper molding.  Notice in that video the way the rail is severely bent the wrong way in front of the guide batten, and has to be helped back into shape.

Just seems a bit brutal to me, much easier just to mark out the centre line and lay the track along that line, holding in place with temporary pins or weights while the glue dries or while you add the final pins.

Yes I agree with you. but I have shown in the beginning of the video that I am only using ME track. I don't have Peco or Atlas tracks at the moment so not sure.
in my method I realized that if the track is pre bent on the direction of curve then it helps and not put pressure on track.  I also like the manual curving method.

Offline bob lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2019, 07:14:33 AM »
That’s a great idea bkrenderman, very few innovative ideas work in every situation. One could always think of times when ideas won’t work, Dragons Den springs to mind. I’m sure there will be someone who will use this. It obviously works for you.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 11:28:30 AM »
I use Peco code 55 and have never tried to create a 180 degree from one piece owing to the radius it would make. Your method is interesting, though.

Online mr bachmann

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 07:14:15 PM »
it's surprising how many loco's will traverse a 12 inch circle .

Online joe cassidy

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 09:22:01 PM »
Thank you for this elegant solution for curving flexitrack.

I have always used Tracksetta templates but have never been totally satisfied by the result.

By the way, please tell us how we should address you when we reply to your posts  because bkrenderman is a bit long !

Best regards,

Joe

Offline nookfield

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 11:26:41 PM »
I use Peco code 55 and have never tried to create a 180 degree from one piece owing to the radius it would make. Your method is interesting, though.

The method could equally be used on a 90 degree curve using a single piece of flexible track. A lot of circular layouts either have a continuous curve at each end of 4 90 degree curves.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 09:45:44 AM »

The method could equally be used on a 90 degree curve using a single piece of flexible track. A lot of circular layouts either have a continuous curve at each end of 4 90 degree curves.

True, although I have never created a full 180 degree as, after about 270 degrees the lines run into a ladder of points for the fiddle yard but, yes, two pieces of flexi do that job.

Offline bkrenderman

• Instagram
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 10:00:57 AM »
Thank you for this elegant solution for curving flexitrack.

I have always used Tracksetta templates but have never been totally satisfied by the result.

By the way, please tell us how we should address you when we reply to your posts  because bkrenderman is a bit long !

Best regards,

Joe

I was also thinking of using those templates but since I dont have any local source to buy I started thinking how else I can make it curve.

you can call me only Ravi   :)

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything