!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 173326 times)

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #2520 on: March 27, 2020, 09:19:48 PM »
I normally close the curtains when taking photos but I think when I took the photo in post 2514 they were still open and natural daylight gave the rail heads a nice shine. I tried the same method here. Of course it does give the coach roofs and the top surfaces of the locos a strong blue tinge but I quite like the effect.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #2521 on: March 27, 2020, 10:17:10 PM »
Not knowing the finer points of photography, I guess it has to do with the scattering of blue light - isn't that how the real thing would look?

There used to be (probably still is - I just don't get the mag much anymore) many dioramas in the trackside photos feature of the American Model Railroader that were posed outdoors.

I think @cycletrak9 of this parish has even used the technique!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline cycletrak9

• Awards
« Reply #2522 on: March 28, 2020, 07:45:07 AM »
Quite right George

I always take a shot of a finished model outside on a sunny day. My layout, such as it is so far, is in the loft and I haven't got round to installing proper lighting yet. The giveaway is that it is always the same bit of garden wall with upper Nidderdale behind. Unlike rogerB I have neither the equipment nor the technique to use focus shifting to get a totally clear image but the use of outdoor light gives an acceptable substitute.

Mike

Online maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #2523 on: March 28, 2020, 12:08:59 PM »
Yes, you can't beat daylight for realism. In good weather the sheer brightness also works in model photography's favour: small aperture (high f number) giving long depth of field (area in focus) and short exposure, minimising movement and maximising sharpness.

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Offline cycletrak9

• Awards
« Reply #2524 on: March 28, 2020, 04:45:02 PM »
I think it also has to do with the natural shadows that aren't necessarily present with artificial light

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #2525 on: March 28, 2020, 09:04:09 PM »
Not knowing the finer points of photography, I guess it has to do with the scattering of blue light - isn't that how the real thing would look?

There used to be (probably still is - I just don't get the mag much anymore) many dioramas in the trackside photos feature of the American Model Railroader that were posed outdoors.

I think lots of prototype photos do show that effect - isn't it just the reflection of the sky? I wonder if those photos you're remembering were the work of Ken Patterson. His 'What's Neat in Model Railroading' monthly videos on YouTube often show him setting up shots in his garden - with a fabulous distant view to provide the background.

Yes, you can't beat daylight for realism. In good weather the sheer brightness also works in model photography's favour: small aperture (high f number) giving long depth of field (area in focus) and short exposure, minimising movement and maximising sharpness.

I think full sunlight is actually rather tricky as the contrast is too high. Pro photographers would probably use a large reflector (or flash) to put some light into the shaded areas of the subject. Thin cloud cover works better for me and probably produces shadows more like the ones I get indoors. Also, I find that using the lens at minimum aperture doesn't give the sharpest results. Few lenses are at their best when stopped right down. Oh, and I can't move Wrenton into the garden!

The same effect again in today's photo. In addition to the natural light there was a lamp to the right (you can judge where by the shadows) and two more pointing up at the ceiling to lighten those shadows. Twenty-four layer focus stack, lens at f/11, focal length 114mm, exposure time for each shot 1/13th second.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #2526 on: March 28, 2020, 09:56:38 PM »
Another great shot!

Strangely enough, in my college days I was very interested in photography (I used to make movies with that old camera in my new thread - I'd conjole my hapless mates into acting in them).

All this talk about f-numbers and shutter speeds are bringing back memories!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #2527 on: March 29, 2020, 08:40:52 PM »
No f-numbers, no shutter speeds, just the B1 arriving.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #2528 on: March 29, 2020, 10:36:14 PM »
More nice photos Roger, I can not wait to get some pics of my new layout once I start to get some scenery down. My layout is in the loft with a flurecent light which I think can give a green tinge, I really need to invest in some good lighting after all this crisis is over. Keep up the good work Roger, hope you are feeling fine and keep safe.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #2529 on: March 30, 2020, 06:40:29 AM »
Excellent layout
Working doesn't seem to be the perfect thing for me so I'll continue to play.
Steve Marriott / Ronnie Lane

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #2530 on: March 30, 2020, 08:37:58 AM »
Hi Roger,

Right, I give up.  Wrenton is just too good and I cannot compete.  You win, game over.  :D

Simply stunning.

Kind regards

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

BARRIES'S TRAIN SHED - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVzVVov7HJOrrZ6HRvV2GA

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #2531 on: March 30, 2020, 08:35:25 PM »
Thanks all, and hope everyone is keeping safe.

I really need to invest in some good lighting after all this crisis is over. Keep up the good work Roger, hope you are feeling fine and keep safe.

Thanks Chris. I use some (non PIR) security lamps on cheap(ish) stands. Would have preferred proper photo lights but I already had a couple of the lamps and no other use for them!

Right, I give up.  Wrenton is just too good and I cannot compete.  You win, game over.

Oh, don't do that!

And for today's offering Wrenton goes Western again.

Online Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #2532 on: March 30, 2020, 10:42:57 PM »
Perfection!!

Online maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #2533 on: March 31, 2020, 08:17:07 AM »
A new viewpoint Roger? Really shows the excellent trackwork, ballasting and point rodding and how they all have grown into the landscape.

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop: Maridunian's Models

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #2534 on: March 31, 2020, 08:21:26 PM »
A new viewpoint Roger?

Yes Mike, a newly found angle, made possible by the telephoto lens. The camera was peering over the backscene at the north (left hand) side of the layout. There was a bit of curtain showing in the top right hand corner of the picture which I removed with some cloned grass. Cheating, sorry!

One more old postcard for today, a phone shot looking up the Church Hill. The phone was level with the car park of the Red Lion, in fact partially in it. About the only spot wide enough to get it into.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £60.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £95.00
Above Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
158% 
May Donations

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal