!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 126252 times)

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #1395 on: January 26, 2019, 10:59:36 PM »
Wahey! :claphappy:
It won't be long before I can move in!

I know a good removal company. They're currently doing a job in Wrenton...

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1396 on: January 27, 2019, 08:37:32 PM »
I made good progress on the building today - the chimneys are fixed in place, the roof is on and it has got slates on it too! No picture as I want to get the ridges done before the next photo call. So instead here's another shot of Wrenton.

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1397 on: January 28, 2019, 02:33:07 AM »

Roger, I've been seeking information about fencing and just noticed that you have four rail fencing which I've not seen. And, it looks really good. Can you identify the source for me? Please don't tell me you scratch built the fencing, too!  :)

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1398 on: January 28, 2019, 11:44:14 AM »
Please don't tell me you scratch built the fencing, too!

OK, I won't tell you - but for anyone else, yes I do!! I cut it from 20 thou plasticard with my Silhouette Portrait machine, adding extra strips of card to thicken the posts. It takes ages but it's cheap.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1399 on: January 28, 2019, 04:18:37 PM »

OK, I won't tell you - but for anyone else, yes I do!! I cut it from 20 thou plasticard with my Silhouette Portrait machine, adding extra strips of card to thicken the posts. It takes ages but it's cheap.

Roger, cheap is good, but scratch-building is impossible for me. If it had been possible to submit a complete layout design for construction by a third party, that would have been my choice!  :) The only part of model railroading I've really enjoyed, so far, was the AnyRail layout design, the Westbury Junction research, and sharing with people in the Forum.

Thanks for your response, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1400 on: January 28, 2019, 06:05:45 PM »
The only part of model railroading I've really enjoyed, so far, was the AnyRail layout design, the Westbury Junction research, and sharing with people in the Forum.

Leon Ė Iím sorry to hear that youíre not totally enjoying your layout building. The hobby does present plenty of problems and difficulties but overcoming them is part of the fun. Youíve made a lot of progress with your ambitious plan (perhaps a bit too ambitious?) but donít get disheartened now. I expect that many of the people on the forum can tell of similar low points (ballasting was mine!) but kept going and had the satisfaction of finally looking at their layout and saying ĎI built thatí.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1401 on: January 28, 2019, 09:54:13 PM »
... but donít get disheartened now.

Roger, thanks for your kind remarks. I should have included a thought I had at the time of posting - I'll never give up! I knew, starting my project, that I was unlikely to find it enjoyable. I'm not a "hands-on" person. I've remarked about it a few times in the Forum, but my remarks were most probably not taken seriously. They were NOT self-deprecating but a statement of fact. My mechanical skills, as measured by aptitude tests and real-life performance, are extremely low. I've enjoyed other accomplishments, but none in any kind of DIY application. I barely can distinguish between a hammer and a saw! I've never been known to give up, though, so my layout will be finished if I live long enough. It will not measure up to most others, but the layout I build will satisfy me - if for no other reason than the fact I completed it. It will serve the purpose for which it was built - to run trains. :) And, I'll continue to share my progress in the spirit of this Forum. I'm not disheartened; rather, I'm frustrated - and there is a difference.

I DO have an eye for quality, and this Forum has provided me with the opportunity to enjoy your modelling and that of many others - just as I've enjoyed art while being unable to draw or paint.

Leon

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1402 on: January 28, 2019, 10:00:34 PM »
Good to hear that, Leon. For the second time this week I'm reminded of a Churchill saying which is politely abbreviated to KBO.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1403 on: January 28, 2019, 10:03:46 PM »
I, for one, am enjoying your tales of triumph and tribulation Leon.
As you say, it is your layout and as long as it is giving you a sense of achievement then please do keep going.
Iím sure that once you get to running trains through the scenery that you create,you will come to love and enjoy what you have built.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1404 on: January 28, 2019, 10:08:05 PM »
I finished the roof of the new building today with lots of fiddly little pieces of paper. The ridges are printed but before I glued them on I ran some grey paint along the edges of the cut paper. The 'flashing' round the base of the chimney stacks was made from newspaper which had been given a wash of diluted acrylic grey.

Next job for the builder is guttering and down pipes. I'm not sure what I'll do round the back of the building. The drawing I used shows an outshot providing each house with a larder accessed from the kitchen, a coal store and, of course, the outside loo. But as this is supposed to be as the building might be today I think some changes might have been made. Perhaps a larger extension on one side and a conservatory on the other. The end of this project is still some way off...

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1405 on: January 28, 2019, 10:43:53 PM »
Looking better every time I see it!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1406 on: January 29, 2019, 06:42:54 AM »
Good to hear that, Leon. For the second time this week I'm reminded of a Churchill saying which is politely abbreviated to KBO.
Seconded!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline DaveGlew

• N Gauge Society Number: 28385
    • Awards
« Reply #1407 on: January 29, 2019, 07:51:46 AM »
Lovely building work
If it looks right and it works then I'm happy.

Offline Ashio

• N Gauge Society Number: 26359
    • Awards
« Reply #1408 on: January 29, 2019, 10:12:49 AM »

Roger, cheap is good, but scratch-building is impossible for me. If it had been possible to submit a complete layout design for construction by a third party, that would have been my choice!  :) The only part of model railroading I've really enjoyed, so far, was the AnyRail layout design, the Westbury Junction research, and sharing with people in the Forum.

Thanks for your response, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear.

Leon

Leon, if you enjoyed the layout design using AnyRail then designing items such as this fencing to be cut on a device like a silhouette machine or equivalent could well be within your remit for scratch building?
Berescombe - 1930's fictional GWR build: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=31337.0

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1409 on: January 29, 2019, 08:13:46 PM »
I added the guttering to the new building this morning, but for a change this afternoon I decided to take some photos of Wrenton. Unfortunately I omitted to notice that the camera battery was running low so I only got three new shots. Mind you, that required forty-something exposures for the focus stacks so the battery held up well. Two of the shots are scenic but here's the one with trains in it.

Because the layout is almost always covered it's a treat to see it from time to time. And the locos seem to appreciate a run - but only two got a chance today!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything