!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 127799 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #1185 on: October 22, 2018, 06:53:23 PM »
Thanks for these two excellent photos. Very good weathering of a very attractive loco. model.

All three points seconded.  I'm not normally an enthusiast for weathering but this looks very good indeed.

Very nice little engines at both 1:148 and 1:1 scale.

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #1186 on: October 22, 2018, 10:21:49 PM »
I had a couple of locos weathered by TMC  a few years back. They looked great. but I've found that the weathering has rubbed off over time as they did not seal it.
Was your 2MT weathering sealed?
Cheers
Dave

Can't really tell if it has been sealed. I've six or seven TMC weathered locos and none of them show any sign of the weathering coming off. I think all of them were bought in the last couple of years and they don't get handled very much as I have few enough locos to keep them all on the layout. Fingers crossed...!

I'm not normally a steam guy but something about the overall look has got me seriously thinking of ordering one myself ...
In Preservation with SVR

Certainly a pretty little loco and mine runs well. Thanks for the info - wonder how she managed to go through an East Anglian village! Well, Rule One applies to Wrenton. Good to know that it has been preserved - that will make it fit nicely on a future project that I'm thinking about. Hence all the trees.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1187 on: October 25, 2018, 02:30:21 PM »
The goods yard, seen from the back of the layout. I really must add some more clutter one day...

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1188 on: October 25, 2018, 02:32:30 PM »
Iím all for clutter.
Just looks a tad too tidy for me at the mo but, as ever, superb modelling.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1189 on: October 27, 2018, 09:40:22 PM »
I sometimes look through photos I've already included in this thread searching for tighter crops and I rather like this close-up view of Eire.

The Silhouette cutting machine has been in action recently cutting these parts.

Can you tell what it is yet?

Offline Ali Smith

• 2mm Association Number: 4281
    • Awards
« Reply #1190 on: October 28, 2018, 08:38:45 AM »
I can't tell what it is but I would like to know how thick the card is please. I have a plotter_cutter and it struggles with the card I want to use.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1191 on: October 28, 2018, 10:24:10 PM »
I can't tell what it is but I would like to know how thick the card is please. I have a plotter_cutter and it struggles with the card I want to use.

Ali - I use plasticard which is easier to deal with than card. It's only necessary for the machine to score the plastic, I find. Small cutouts such as windows can be removed by cutting diagonally with a scalpel and snapping out the resulting triangles. Larger pieces can simply be snapped off without any extra cutting. I've not tried cutting ordinary card, but wonder if using the machine cut lines as guides for a scalpel blade might work?

The main attraction for me of the machine is the accuracy of the cuts. The components shown in the photo in my last post are the walls of a small stone built building. I've cut two pieces for each wall from 20 thou plasticard to make up the thickness of the walls. The two line up perfectly - even those tiny rectangles in the corners of some of the parts match up and the smallest ones are 1.5mm x 0.8mm. Their purpose will be revealed soon! The third piece for each wall is cut from 10 thou and the window and door cutouts are slightly smaller as they will form the frames.

Here are the assembled walls.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1192 on: October 28, 2018, 10:31:29 PM »
If it wasn't for the big windows I was going to say Ladies and Gents  :D
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1193 on: October 28, 2018, 10:36:13 PM »
If it wasn't for the big windows I was going to say Ladies and Gents  :D

There will be a window with frosted glass round the back...

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1194 on: October 29, 2018, 08:32:21 AM »
That's a very interesting building, Roger.  There are lots of clues, but I have not yet arranged them all in my mind!

The infilled door at a different level!  The little rectangles of different sizes; but why two on the front elevation and one on one side?  Brackets for a clock and telephone wires?

It is a very neat job and whoever had it built was well off - all that glass!  I look forward to seeing the relationship of the rear elevation to the front.  I think that the rear windows are at the end of the building with the door.  Either a very light room or an internal partition...

Is it a building for something other than Wrenton?

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Ali Smith

• 2mm Association Number: 4281
    • Awards
« Reply #1195 on: October 29, 2018, 08:47:39 AM »
Roger,
Thanks for the explanation. I shall have to experiment with plasticard.I'm looking forward to seeing what your building is.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1196 on: October 29, 2018, 10:01:59 PM »
That's a very interesting building, Roger.  There are lots of clues, but I have not yet arranged them all in my mind!

Keep working on it, Sherlock.

The infilled door at a different level!  The little rectangles of different sizes; but why two on the front elevation and one on one side?  Brackets for a clock and telephone wires?

Well, they're definitely not for archers to shoot arrows through! Getting a bit warm with the clock. Freezing with the telephone wires. Wouldn't fancy modelling them!

It is a very neat job and whoever had it built was well off - all that glass!

I think they built more than one like it.

I look forward to seeing the relationship of the rear elevation to the front.  I think that the rear windows are at the end of the building with the door.  Either a very light room or an internal partition...

Internal division I think.

Is it a building for something other than Wrenton?

Yes, it is. I'd like to build something new but don't have space for another permanent layout. So I'm thinking about something fairly small that could be easily stored, but it's early days. No harm in making some buildings and trees, though. The next photo (probably tomorrow) will hopefully solve the puzzle. Thanks John.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #1197 on: October 30, 2018, 09:09:53 AM »
Many thanks, Roger

I very much look forward to the next picture.  Thank you for your responses as I'm still trying to figure it out!

And only one of the rear windows has frosted glass...

I know it's not, but the building somehow rather reminds me of Wharf station on the Talyllyn Railway.

What you are proposing certainly sounds interesting - a portable mini-layout I imagine.

Best wishes.

John

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1198 on: October 30, 2018, 09:23:55 AM »
I canít figure out what it is. Maybe a parcel collection office which were, I believe, common at many stations in days gone by?

Iíd also suggest an old railway out building converted into something of more modern time. For example, a small taxi booking office. However, I donít think you would model something modern.

Whatever, Iím looking forward to this joining one of the several mini layouts on this forum.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1199 on: October 30, 2018, 09:48:05 PM »
The next stage of construction sees the doors and windows added - and tells you just what type of building it is, I hope!

The tiny slots in the wall are there to house the signs which are not yet fixed in place - that will be one of the last jobs as they'll obviously be a bit vulnerable. Hope I don't lose the little plastic envelope in which they're being kept (in a safe place, of course!). They were developed from photos of the real building, as was the stonework and even the net curtain in the right-hand window.

The windows are made the same way as those in Wrenton's buildings (printed frames behind the glazing material) but the doors are 'solid', the panelling effect being cut by the Silhouette. Not very well painted, though. I remembered to leave one door ajar, something I overlooked on my earlier buildings.

So now we know it's a station building. Wonder where the prototype is...

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
December Donations

Advertise Here