!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 127874 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #1095 on: September 08, 2018, 09:33:13 PM »
@Leon
The loco is the Farish BR Standard class 5 4-6-0. Smashing locos and very good runners.

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #1096 on: September 08, 2018, 09:46:39 PM »
The loco is the Farish BR Standard class 5 4-6-0. Smashing locos and very good runners.

Certainly a handsome beast but I think mine might have a wheel quartering problem as it runs with a slight wobble. Must get it fixed one day, but about the only time it moves is when it's needed for a photo!

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1097 on: September 08, 2018, 10:00:53 PM »
... it will be a long time before I'll know an A4 from an A+.

You can't mistake an A4, Leon!

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1098 on: September 09, 2018, 10:35:33 PM »
Let's twist again...

I've been experimenting with some alternatives to the material that I apply to the twisted wire structure to support the foliage. And have come to the conclusion that the soft toy stuffing that I've been using is as good as anything else I've tried. I did make one change making this tree, though. Following the suggestion in a YouTube video I found ages ago I've been using Tacky Glue to fix the stuffing material in place. I found my fingers rapidly became tackier than the branches and the fibres of the material were sticking to me more than the tree. So this time I used PVA, diluted 1:1. Easy to brush onto the branches and my fingers stayed cleaner.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1099 on: September 09, 2018, 10:45:37 PM »
That is one good looking tree.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline pape_timmo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1100 on: September 10, 2018, 12:05:21 AM »
Looking very good Roger,
There’s the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1101 on: September 10, 2018, 03:12:35 AM »
Let's twist again...

Roger, about how many hours were invested in your tree?

Leon
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 03:13:40 AM by Leon »
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1102 on: September 10, 2018, 11:33:06 AM »

Perhaps better not to know, and I don't! I've just completed another one so I'll try to time the next.

In the meantime some guesswork. The wire twisting is the longest job. Perhaps a couple of hours for a tree the size of the last one (about 5" above ground level). I can do it while half watching TV, but it does then take a bit longer. Then quarter hour or so soldering the trunk and main branches. Another half hour mixing and applying the plaster. Adding the fibrous material probably another half hour. Then a spray of paint - takes longer shaking up the paint can than spraying it! Applying the actual foliage is quite a quick job too - takes just a few minutes. Doing the existing trees along the back of Wrenton I found making batches of half a dozen or so saved time.

There are, of course, much faster methods but I think for foreground or isolated trees this way does seem to produce reasonable results fairly consistently.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1103 on: September 10, 2018, 07:52:58 PM »
Perhaps better not to know, and I don't! I've just completed another one so I'll try to time the next.

Thanks, Roger! Your trees are better than anything available commercially, but there are some reasonably good commercial products. For you, I know the results are worth the time invested, and anything less on your quality layout wouldn't be acceptable. I've no doubt that if I could construct one with half the quality of yours I'd be willing to invest the time - but I can't. So, armed with an idea of the time investment for constructing one I can better justify investing a few dollars. I DO love a nice tree. :) Trees are very important for a layout; maybe more so than any other feature - except maybe the trains? I think of a lot of photographs I've seen of trains with nothing to complete the composition except trees. https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/09/ab/3e/ca/steam-train-on-bohinj.jpg

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1104 on: September 10, 2018, 07:56:07 PM »
... it will be a long time before I'll know an A4 from an A+.

You can't mistake an A4, Leon!

Roger, I thought this was a Mallard painted green! :)

Leon

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1105 on: September 10, 2018, 09:54:34 PM »
Trees are very important for a layout; maybe more so than any other feature - except maybe the trains?

They certainly add some height and can be used to frame scenes, though I wasn't able to achieve that in many places on Wrenton. That photo you linked to uses them not only as a background but to provide a visual 'stop' on the right of the picture, a trick I'm sure you're familiar with. They provide a useful background along the rear of my layout saving the need to paint a proper back scene!

Roger, I thought this was a Mallard painted green! :)

Mallard was a member of the A4 class. There were 34 locos carrying BR numbers 60001 - 34. Many of them were named after birds though some were later renamed after people. 60008 was Dwight D. Eisenhower from 1945. 60007 was always named Sir Nigel Gresley after the LNER's Chief Mechanical Engineer from 1923 to 1941 who designed the class. My model is 60019 Bittern which I chose because I painted a picture of that loco some years ago (http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=55770).

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1106 on: September 11, 2018, 02:20:16 AM »
A move to the north end and a general view of almost the whole length of the layout. This shot took a 23 layer focus stack.

When I grow up, I want to be a railroad modeller just like Roger! :)

Leon

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #1107 on: September 11, 2018, 02:27:58 AM »
I'll settle for photographer  :thumbsup:

Offline Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #1108 on: September 11, 2018, 11:56:39 AM »
Dunno.... if Leon has his way, you could be running a four lash-up of Union Pacific's through Wrenton!   ;)

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1109 on: September 11, 2018, 12:03:56 PM »
Dunno.... if Leon has his way, you could be running a four lash-up of Union Pacific's through Wrenton!   ;)
:laughabovepost:

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
December Donations

Advertise Here