!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 126141 times)

Online Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #1080 on: September 05, 2018, 01:45:06 AM »
Noticed this tree in my street the other day. Sort of reminded me of your tree, Roger! No idea what it is, it's no all that big, probably 4 or 5 metres tall.

Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1081 on: September 05, 2018, 06:25:56 AM »
Noticed this tree in my street the other day. Sort of reminded me of your tree, Roger! No idea what it is, it's no all that big, probably 4 or 5 metres tall.
It's a Cypress.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #1082 on: September 05, 2018, 06:54:04 AM »
Thank you! I had a feeling it was, but wasn't 100% sure. Me surname is Green, but green-fingered I ain't!  :beers:

George

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #1083 on: September 05, 2018, 09:58:23 AM »

Thanks George, certainly a close match. I took tweezers and scissors to the tree yesterday, opening it out a little and re-shaping the top. I finished up with two pointed tips, just like the tree in your photo though I might have to close the gaps again! Here's how it looks now.

Like the earlier tree this one would be about 65 feet tall which I think is within range for a cypress.

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #1084 on: September 05, 2018, 10:03:36 AM »
Can't wait to see it in situ!  :thumbsup:

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1085 on: September 05, 2018, 10:07:39 AM »

Offline pape_timmo

• N Gauge Society Number: 23256
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1086 on: September 05, 2018, 12:38:47 PM »
Who is Situ?? 😂
There’s the right way, the wrong way, and the Railway...

My YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxeUUCqEw_rWo229kmnizFQ

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1087 on: September 05, 2018, 02:02:15 PM »
Who is Situ?? 😂

Where, not who, perhaps - Small Idealised Terrain Unit ??

Offline Delboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #1088 on: September 05, 2018, 02:25:22 PM »

Another amazing shot from your incredible layout. Your modelling and photographic skills are sublime. The only thing that gives it away as a model is the fact that those cyclists haven't progressed down the lane since your last shot from that location. Wonderful.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1089 on: September 05, 2018, 04:23:17 PM »
The only thing that gives it away as a model is the fact that those cyclists haven't progressed down the lane since your last shot from that location. Wonderful.

They stopped for a natter...........a very long natter.
Reminds me of a lady I used to work with who parked up at Asda, saw a friend and they nattered for over 2 hours before she even went into the supermarket. She got a parking ticket :laugh:)
Mind you, she did talk for Ireland

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1090 on: September 05, 2018, 04:39:57 PM »
Nice one, Mick. Of course the real answer is that they rode through a patch of superglue and have been trying to get free ever since. Perhaps I should have used Tacky Wax so that I could move them around from time to time.

Offline dmck123

• Awards
« Reply #1091 on: September 07, 2018, 07:00:12 PM »
Hi Rodger,

I can only eco the other comments about what an amazing layout you have created. I especially like how you have shown how applying ‘rule 1’ can be combined with such a brilliantly realistic model.

I was so engrossed with your photos I almost missed my last call for my flight today. They really are superb.

Excuse the basic nature of my question, my knowledge of the steam era is pretty slim (my childhood memories are from the wcml in the late 90s). But seeing your photo of the A4 on goods duty got me thinking, how often were they used for goods trains in era? I never gave much thought to an A4 being a goods loco, but I suppose in era it was no different to the class 90s and class 86s that we’re used on goods services in the late 90s.

Thanks again, both for sharing the interesting photos and for all the motivation you’ve given me for my own project.

Regards
Dave

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1092 on: September 08, 2018, 08:03:30 PM »
Excuse the basic nature of my question, my knowledge of the steam era is pretty slim (my childhood memories are from the wcml in the late 90s). But seeing your photo of the A4 on goods duty got me thinking, how often were they used for goods trains in era? I never gave much thought to an A4 being a goods loco, but I suppose in era it was no different to the class 90s and class 86s that we’re used on goods services in the late 90s.

Thanks for the comments Dave. Hope you had a good flight. I'm not very knowledgeable about prototype practice myself so Rule One is a convenient screen to hide behind! But I've had a browse through a couple of books about A4s and there are some photos of them working goods trains. I even found a shot of Bittern (my A4) on the Kings X - Niddrie run. The A4s regularly worked this train going as far as Newcastle and returning with an overnight passenger train (saith I quoting one of the books!). I also found a shot of Falcon with a train of about 20 assorted loose-coupled wagons. They do say that there's a prototype for everything!

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #1093 on: September 08, 2018, 08:13:31 PM »
the scotch goods it was, google it rm web has photos

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1094 on: September 08, 2018, 09:05:30 PM »
Thanks for all the comments about the trees. I'll keep experimenting - now is a good time, with no pressure to make lots of them. Wrenton has enough to keep the local dogs happy for a while!

I see it's one year today since I registered on the forum and made my first post. So thanks for all the kind words about the layout. I hardly expected this thread to be 72 pages long by now. Here's a new photo to mark the occasion.

Roger, I've been reviewing your thread which I return to with regularity. The photo reminds me of the challenge I'm facing! But, more importantly, it's just a pure pleasure. Like a good painting, what you see is even more impressive than would be the real thing! I do a little reading about the real railways every day to try and understand more of what I'm seeing, but it will be a long time before I'll know an A4 from an A+. :) I like the tender locomotive in your photo, and while it looks to me like a Grange that I'm contemplating buying, it could be almost any GWR locomotive. I just like the aesthetics. :)

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything