!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 127133 times)

Offline Novice41

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #660 on: March 18, 2018, 10:14:33 AM »
Lovely bits of detail. Green with envy.

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #661 on: March 20, 2018, 05:27:16 PM »
Fancy a picture that actually  has some railway in it?

Taken from the back of the layout. The hard edge between grass and background trees is the front edge of the baseboard. My temporary background of trees and sky gets quite a bashing as I move it around for various shots and looks as though it needs a bit of TLC!

Offline Novice41

• Awards
« Reply #662 on: March 21, 2018, 11:48:26 AM »
There's always a problem with perspective in backscenes when you view them from above as the horizon is in the wrong place. I haven't discovered a way of getting round this. Your device of using a temporary board is a useful way of providing something to stop the eye from falling off the edge of the layout.  :thumbsup:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #663 on: March 21, 2018, 12:09:51 PM »
Many thanks for another great picture. The rolling stock is, IMHO, perfectly weathered. Not too dirty but not too clean to be unrealistic. The "FRUIT" vans and the open wagon with tarpaulin are superb.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #664 on: March 21, 2018, 02:27:11 PM »
There's always a problem with perspective in backscenes when you view them from above as the horizon is in the wrong place. I haven't discovered a way of getting round this. Your device of using a temporary board is a useful way of providing something to stop the eye from falling off the edge of the layout.  :thumbsup:

I couldn't think of a way to handle the back of the layout effectively either. My solution was to assume the village backs on to woodland and line the whole back edge with trees. Not a very good solution, but it sort of works. And it took ages to make all those trees. I resisted the temptation to paint more distant trees on the background for the very reason you mention.

I know that standing in the village that inspired my buildings it's not possible to see any surrounding countryside, though the views from the top of the church tower reveal pleasantly undulating NE Essex countryside. But if I ever modelled a village near here (I'm a few miles west of you) I would have to include the South Downs in the background!

There's a beautifully produced book about the subject - "Creating a Backscene" by Paul Bambrick and John Ellis-Cockell. It covers all aspects including forced perspective. There are some lovely photos of models but I guess the choice of camera position is a major factor in making them look convincing just as much as the skill in creating them.

That temporary background does spare us the sight of wardrobe doors or worse! In one or two shots I've tried blending it into the layout edge using Photoshop, but that's cheating so I suppose I shouldn't really do it.

Offline Novice41

• Awards
« Reply #665 on: March 21, 2018, 03:12:01 PM »
Yes, I've read Creating a Backscene and it's quite good but with some serious omissions and some rather confusing technical bits. The difficulty comes down to how high above the baseboard the eye level is and this varies dependent upon the height of the viewer. Generally you can fudge it by doing the false perspective trick, deciding where you want your horizon to appear on the backboard and fading the landscape in terms of colour and detail towards it.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #666 on: March 21, 2018, 04:54:23 PM »
Yes, I've read Creating a Backscene and it's quite good but with some serious omissions and some rather confusing technical bits. The difficulty comes down to how high above the baseboard the eye level is and this varies dependent upon the height of the viewer. Generally you can fudge it by doing the false perspective trick, deciding where you want your horizon to appear on the backboard and fading the landscape in terms of colour and detail towards it.

Glad I'm not the only one to find parts of that book rather confusing. It is worth a look, though.

I like to encourage visitors to sit and watch the trains go by, which makes painted distant scenery unnecessary as their eyes are at about baseboard height, but they do keep insisting on standing up to look at the details along the village road!

Offline Novice41

• Awards
« Reply #667 on: March 22, 2018, 10:01:35 AM »
If they're standing up to look at your wonderful detail they won't be noticing the backscene!  I'm at the moment doing a 24' backscene for the O gauge layout for Pett MRC.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #668 on: March 22, 2018, 10:56:48 AM »
If they're standing up to look at your wonderful detail they won't be noticing the backscene!  I'm at the moment doing a 24' backscene for the O gauge layout for Pett MRC.

Good point! Best of luck with 24' of backscene. More than just sky, I guess?

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #669 on: March 22, 2018, 09:35:21 PM »
Another little detail added. I thought a platelayers trolley would be a nice addition near the hut but the only wheels I have were the plastic Peco wagon ones recently replaced by metal ones. Much too large. So the plan changed to having a long unused trolley - well more a trailer I guess - with greenery growing over it to hide the lack of wheels. I painted it to look neglected and trying to get the tone right so that it didn't jump out from the area around it. Here it is in the background of this shot.

I think some rusty rails and rotten sleepers would look good here, but that will have to wait until I can find a reason to buy some Code 40!

A closer shot of the scene:

Offline Novice41

• Awards
« Reply #670 on: March 23, 2018, 09:35:53 AM »
Very realistic.

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #671 on: March 23, 2018, 04:33:01 PM »
Wot he said  :laughabovepost:

Every time I see this layout I want to put mine in the bin and start again!  :(

Offline DaveGlew

• N Gauge Society Number: 28385
    • Awards
« Reply #672 on: March 23, 2018, 05:20:19 PM »
Wot he said  :laughabovepost:

Every time I see this layout I want to put mine in the bin and start again!  :(
I need a skill injection........ FAB-U-LOUS
If it looks right and it works then I'm happy.

Offline Jeremy Edwards

• N Gauge Society Number: 26830
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #673 on: March 23, 2018, 07:55:36 PM »
One word!!!!!  "Inspirational!"

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #674 on: March 24, 2018, 10:33:32 PM »
No new work done for a couple of days, though I did actually run some trains this morning. It's a pretty rare event so I thought it was time to give all the locos a few laps around the layout.

With nothing new to photograph here, instead, is another angle on THAT corner, seen this time from behind the layout.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here