!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 127137 times)

Online Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #630 on: March 05, 2018, 05:56:13 PM »
Very good. Are you sure Andrew @Milton Rail is not in there with his layout ;D

Thanks Mick, would be a treat to have the van located somewhere so stunning :)

Offline Pete Smith

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #631 on: March 05, 2018, 06:36:02 PM »
Ooo like inception, a layout within a layout within a layout within...

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #632 on: March 05, 2018, 06:51:45 PM »
It's interesting that some visitors looking at the layout spend ages exploring the village looking for little details and aren't in the least bit interested in the trains!

I remember helping to operate one of our club layouts (a big one 12' x 12') and all this woman could talk about was the cabbages on the allottment's at the front!

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #633 on: March 07, 2018, 05:17:51 PM »
No jobs done in the last couple of days except for making some improvements to the covers over the fiddle yard. Not worth a photo! So here is one I made earlier.

It's a warm summer afternoon. The goods yard staff have prepared a couple of wagons for the evening pick-up train. And now they've gone into the office for a cuppa. Even the men in the coal yard have gone home, there being not much to do at this time of year. So all is quiet except for the moo-ing of the cattle awaiting collection by a local farmer...

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #634 on: March 07, 2018, 05:23:03 PM »
No jobs done in the last couple of days except for making some improvements to the covers over the fiddle yard. Not worth a photo! So here is one I made earlier.

It's a warm summer afternoon. The goods yard staff have prepared a couple of wagons for the evening pick-up train. And now they've gone into the office for a cuppa. Even the men in the coal yard have gone home, there being not much to do at this time of year. So all is quiet except for the moo-ing of the cattle awaiting collection by a local farmer...

A superb photo. of highly realistic painting and subtle weathering. The wagon tarpaulin is really realistic.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #635 on: March 08, 2018, 10:30:42 PM »
One or two guys having a ciggie or reading a newspaper while taking a break, although such figures may be the more expensive type from the likes of Preiser/Noch etc.

Couldn't do the ciggies but these chaps are having a chat. Not sure if the approaching boss is about to tick them off for idling or to tell them of an approaching train.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #636 on: March 09, 2018, 05:34:15 AM »
Roger

Both the above photos show superb depth of field and wonderful modelling. Did you use a very slow shutter speed to get the depth of field?

Webbo

Offline Masher69

• N Gauge Society Number: 26763
    • Awards
« Reply #637 on: March 09, 2018, 09:38:26 AM »
Every time I look at this I think about giving up in despair. Joking but amazing work and something to aim at. I am presently trying to come up with a decent cattle dock. I have built a P&D Marsh but not happy with it. I have the kit for the Ratio but it does seem very fiddly. Is yours a kit or scratch built?

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #638 on: March 09, 2018, 09:39:18 AM »
PS what did you use for the goods yard surface?

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #639 on: March 09, 2018, 10:25:56 AM »
Both the above photos show superb depth of field and wonderful modelling. Did you use a very slow shutter speed to get the depth of field?

Webbo - I use a method called focus stacking. If you go to page 19 of this thread there is a some discussion of the technique there. I gather some people disapprove of the method but my feeling is that having gone to the trouble of trying to create a realistic scene it makes sense to photograph in a way that also looks realistic. I think if that had been a real scene on a fine sunny day that's the depth of field that you'd get.

It does need a decent camera, a sturdy tripod and a good image editing program - and lots of time. I reckon if I can get three shots completed in an afternoon I've done well. But with the layout at an advanced stage I can justify the time!

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #640 on: March 09, 2018, 10:33:27 AM »
Every time I look at this I think about giving up in despair. Joking but amazing work and something to aim at. I am presently trying to come up with a decent cattle dock. I have built a P&D Marsh but not happy with it. I have the kit for the Ratio but it does seem very fiddly. Is yours a kit or scratch built?

Well, I'm glad you're joking! I'm not very good with kits and would normally scratch build. But the Ratio kit was one of the first things I bought when I started the layout and it seemed a shame to waste it. I had to butcher it a bit. If you look at the second photo on the previous page you can see that a corner has been cut off to get it to fit between two tracks. I also covered the base with the same brick paper that I used on the other railway buildings. I thought that tied it in with the rest of the structures. But it wasn't too difficult to make.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #641 on: March 09, 2018, 10:45:36 AM »
PS what did you use for the goods yard surface?

Good question! It's just the cork underlay that the tracks are sitting on. I'd put it over most of the intended goods yard area - just as well I did as I changed the positions and lengths of the sidings a bit when I came to work on that section of the layout. I did have to make a join to the plaster road surfaces, though. You can see where a join is in the first photo on the previous page, just in front of the coal lorry and running up to the shed office. But that may be where I patched in some extra cork and the join to plaster might be further to the right. Can't remember now, must be getting old...

There's some grey paint on the cork, of course, but there are hints of the original colour showing through to give a bit more texture.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #642 on: March 10, 2018, 09:56:05 PM »
Taken this afternoon with the camera screwed to a length of 2" by 1" clamped to the tripod. Very risky for the models below, but it gives a nice view down onto the cattle dock and coal siding. And a better rendition of the ballast colours than in most shots.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #643 on: March 10, 2018, 10:17:17 PM »
Many thanks for this great photo. showing your superb scenic work. Really outstanding work.

Offline Masher69

• Awards
« Reply #644 on: March 11, 2018, 09:57:44 AM »
Excellent shot. I'm having a go at the kit so fingers crossed.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here