!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 125736 times)

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #585 on: February 23, 2018, 08:12:37 PM »
Sign looks great
Did you use the Portrait cutter at all for this?

For once, no, I did it all myself! The lettering was printed onto paper which was fixed to a bit 20x40 plastic strip to form the arms. The post is built up as a sandwich, two pieces of 10x40 with pieces of 20x40 between them, one tiny one above the arms and the other below. The arm pointing towards the station was super glued onto the post. Hope that's clear... Now you know why it took a couple of tries before I got it right!

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #586 on: February 24, 2018, 08:31:22 PM »
Another little detail, not as fiddly as the finger post. The cyclists seen coming down Church Hill  (http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38682.msg490043#msg490043) came with a third fellow traveller. He was rather brightly dressed but after a visit to the Wrenton Weathering Workshop he's now ready to take to the road.

This shot was taken using the mirror box described in another earlier post (http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38682.msg475701#msg475701).

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #587 on: February 24, 2018, 08:36:03 PM »
Another great shot, Roger. It just keeps getting better!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline DaveGlew

• N Gauge Society Number: 28385
    • Awards
« Reply #588 on: February 24, 2018, 08:37:53 PM »
 :greatpicturessign: are we sure this is actually a model? Superb
If it looks right and it works then I'm happy.

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #589 on: February 24, 2018, 08:39:09 PM »
I canít believe how good this is. Brilliant.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #590 on: February 24, 2018, 09:04:01 PM »
Another great shot, Roger. It just keeps getting better!  :thumbsup:

So much this!

Seriously, I'm about ready to give up railway modelling. You've won. I can't imagine making anything even one-twentieth as good at what you do, @rogerdB.

Cheers, NeMo
NGS Journal Editor

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #591 on: February 24, 2018, 09:12:03 PM »
Seriously, I'm about ready to give up railway modelling. You've won. I can't imagine making anything even one-twentieth as good at what you do, @rogerdB.
Don't forget that Roger is a serious modeller and photographer with a bolt-on railway, whereas most of us mere mortals are railway modellers with bolt on scenics.  However, it's still outstanding!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #592 on: February 24, 2018, 09:17:18 PM »
When excellence is the norm,what's it like when you surpass yourself ? :thumbsup:

Offline Delboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #593 on: February 24, 2018, 10:21:48 PM »
Roger,
Thanks for the explanation on the making of the post. having admired your amazing modelling, I have just invested in a Portrait cutter myself and would be interested to hear of anything that you have found it useful for over and above the creation of your wonderful buildings.
Delboy.
She who must be obeyed says I am spending too much time on this forum. I love her dearly but what does she know?

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #594 on: February 24, 2018, 11:06:21 PM »
Roger,
Thanks for the explanation on the making of the post. having admired your amazing modelling, I have just invested in a Portrait cutter myself and would be interested to hear of anything that you have found it useful for over and above the creation of your wonderful buildings.
Delboy.

Welcome to the Portrait club, Dennis!

I think I put a few ideas on the Cottage for Wrenton thread but, basically, if it needs cutting from thin plasticard and if I need more than one, or it's going to be fiddly to cut by hand, then I tend to use the machine. The lineside fencing (several yards of it!), the footbridge, the war memorial and the various items in the church yard were all cut with it. I think window frames would be too fine to cut, but I did use it for the canopy on the road side of the station building and for the large glazed areas on the railway side of the main building and the shelter on the other platform. The church windows were the most impressive use of it, I think. I'm sure I couldn't have cut one window accurately by hand, yet alone produce several identical ones.

I hope you get on well with the machine and I look forward to seeing what you make with it.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #595 on: February 26, 2018, 08:24:55 PM »
Time for another picture with a train! The CCTs and horsebox which recently went through several stages of weathering are having a run behind an immaculate loco. Not sure if CCTs and the Mk1 full brake bringing up the rear would be a feasible formation in real life?

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #596 on: February 26, 2018, 08:34:05 PM »
Thanks for the photo Roger.
The BR Class 5 is a superb model - one of my favourites. I must  get mine out to give it a run.
Yours complements your terrific scenery really well.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #597 on: February 26, 2018, 08:45:46 PM »
The BR Class 5 is a superb model - one of my favourites. I must get mine out to give it a run.

Ditto, Martin. It's been far too long since my 73068 (BR Lined Green Late Crest BR1C Tender) put in an appearance.

I think that is quite a feasible formation of NPCCS. Thanks for another great photo.

Offline 25901JFM

• N Gauge Society Number: 23462
    • Awards
« Reply #598 on: February 27, 2018, 12:04:10 PM »
A BG would not be an issue with CCT's in a parcels train.  Up to around 1982 the 12:10 Penzance - Crewe vans could contain a right mixed bag including former LMS BG's, BR CCT's, former SR CCT's/PMV's, BR GUV's and BR BG's and possibly even the odd ex SR bogie van.  It became a Class 3 working and was only permitted to convey bogie stock only and became the 12:10 Penzance - Glasgow, which for a time (1982/83) was noted for producing the occasional Class 40 from Bristol to Crewe running via the Severn Tunnel and Hereford.  The formation of which was then limited to BR GUV's & BG's.  I've also seen photo's of steam and early diesel hauled parcel workings that even contained XP rated 2 axle short wheel base vans in the formation.
Whilst most of my info relates to a far later timeframe than your excellent layout, I hope that some of it may be of interest.
John

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #599 on: February 27, 2018, 12:31:12 PM »
Thanks John, I get away with that one, then. It would be good to lengthen that train but it's currently a perfect fit in one of the spur roads in the fiddle yard!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here