!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 64383 times)

Online w greatbatch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #450 on: January 20, 2018, 10:01:24 PM »
The 'undercarriage' looks great,and the bodywork is much better,subtle around the door frames and hinges,but for me the roof is too pale,if in doubt work from photo's,I find an airbrush is ideal for this-it gives a dead flat matt finish.          Bill

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #451 on: January 20, 2018, 10:41:44 PM »
The 'undercarriage' looks great,and the bodywork is much better,subtle around the door frames and hinges,but for me the roof is too pale,if in doubt work from photo's,I find an airbrush is ideal for this-it gives a dead flat matt finish.          Bill

Thanks Bill - I have done some work on the chassis and bogies but I haven't touched the roof yet and it does look lighter in the photo than in reality - it's still the colour that GraFar made it! I just used a single lamp for the photo which was 'above' the top of the model (it's on its side, of course), and that is probably causing the effect. Unfortunately I haven't got an airbrush - I find it hard to justify the expense but I keep trying to persuade myself...

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #452 on: January 20, 2018, 10:44:41 PM »
A suitable shade of aerosol grey paint will work fine, sprayed at the right distance. (Experiment first and, of course, mask off the rest of the coach well.)

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #453 on: January 20, 2018, 10:59:12 PM »
A suitable shade of aerosol grey paint will work fine, sprayed at the right distance. (Experiment first and, of course, mask off the rest of the coach well.)

My current plan is to use the same method that I used on the blood and custard carriages I did a while back (http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38682.msg483026#msg483026). I'm never convinced by perfectly flat areas of paint or, indeed, of colour and tone in any area. I vary the colours of my grass, I streak and splodge different greys into the road surfaces, dirty up patches of pavements and so on. I guess it's a result of painting pictures in the past. Such as:

Offline bob lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #454 on: January 21, 2018, 07:47:46 AM »
This painting is excellent Roger, professional quality, are you?

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #455 on: January 21, 2018, 07:56:34 AM »
I used to love looking for the mouse in Cuneo's paintings on the cover of Triang catalogues.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #456 on: January 21, 2018, 08:19:57 AM »
Great atmospheric picture,A3's ready for the off!

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #457 on: January 21, 2018, 09:37:30 AM »
Is there no limit to your talents? :admiration:

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #458 on: January 21, 2018, 09:45:02 AM »
You certainly have an artistic eye. You're a very talented chap Roger.   :admiration:

Offline Carmont

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #459 on: January 21, 2018, 10:29:38 AM »
Iíd intended to weather some carriages this afternoon, but instead I found myself de-weathering some. The train usually hauled by my A4 has three factory weathered coaches and I think the effect on the sides looks to be overdone especially when compared with a pristine coach. Hereís a pic Iíve used before:

I used IPA on a kitchen paper towel to remove as much of the weathering as I could without risking taking off the base colour as well. As a precaution I then wiped over the side with another towel dampened with water, though I expect the IPA had evaporated by then. I havenít got all of the weathering off, the windows being especially tricky. Hereís one of the coaches with the work started.

So the next job is to re-weather the three and the remaining coaches, but rather more subtly, so they can be re-united with Bittern.

I think Iíll steer clear of factory weathering in the future!

I agree, with regards to the, Farish in particular, coach weathering. If anything, it looks blue. I hadn't figured out out to remove it as yet, so thanks for the tip. Apart from the under frames, Maroon coach sides were kept pretty clean, so I'm not sure what the thinking of the weathering was. Unfortunately I have a few weathered examples that will need treating. Some of these are GUVs which did tend to get filthy, so I was thinking of just building properly covered grime over the top of the factory weathering.

Regards the previous discussion re Insulfish, I have a number of images of singles and pairs added to passenger trains, but these are restricted to West Highland and West Highland extension lines, and most date from Blue/Grey era. That said, I can dig them out if you'd like to see them...

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #460 on: January 21, 2018, 10:50:27 AM »
I admit to preferring weathered over pristine (mainly 'cos I'm rubbish at weathering things) but the Farish ones do seem to pretend there was no such thing as coach washing facilities.....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ubyzhnvfizrb89/5MT%20and%20A4%20on%20Kimbolted.MOV?dl=0

I also agree GUVs, CCTs and full brakes were generally to be found in poor states of cleanliness

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #461 on: January 21, 2018, 11:08:01 AM »
The ex-SR CCTs seem to have got particularly filthy in the 1960s and 1970s.

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #462 on: January 21, 2018, 11:14:51 AM »
I think there's a real problem with weathering coaches in N gauge, and that's viewing distance. The weathering Farish provides washes out the colours, which does provide something of the effect you get when viewing trains at a long distance. But most of us see coaches up close (perhaps more than anything else on the railway) and experience much more saturated colours.

Getting the balance between the two is really hard. If you're going to weather locomotives, you've got to apply some weathering to the coaches, but overdo it, and the effect looks like overkill. Don't do it at all, and the effect is unrealistic, especially if, as with Wrenton as photographed here, everything else is beautifully weathered and subdued.

Looking at that photo, I wouldn't say the un-weathered coach is better, just different. The first coach blends into the scene better, but the second coach perhaps suggests what a top-link passenger coach might have looked like fresh from the yard.

Further complicating things is that coaches on preserved railways often have a lot of gloss paint on them, even the bogies, which may or may not represent how they looked in real life. Modern trains rarely have clean bogies and underframes, even if the body sides are kept in good conditions, and that's certainly my recollection of BR in the 1980s when I first took notice of such things.

Weathering the underframes and bogies is probably essential, and the roofs are important too, looking much too uniform and plasticky without at least a little bit of airbrushing. Personally I think a bit of bodyside grime is essential, especially in the steam age, if realism is the aim -- but each to their own! Rule number 1 and all that!

Cheers, NeMo

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #463 on: January 21, 2018, 11:50:54 AM »
This painting is excellent Roger, professional quality, are you?

Thanks Bob. Very amateur, though! I only made about a dozen railway paintings - they're very difficult and take ages. This one, and the A4 (page 9 on this thread) took about 100 hours each.

I used to love looking for the mouse in Cuneo's paintings on the cover of Triang catalogues.

Perhaps I should have included a cat to explain the lack of mouse! My own favourite railway painter is Don Breckon. I just Googled him and some of the reproductions look very poor but his books are great.

Is there no limit to your talents? :admiration:

I've not had any luck finding a cure for the common cold! My current one is lasting ages.

Regards the previous discussion re Insulfish, I have a number of images of singles and pairs added to passenger trains, but these are restricted to West Highland and West Highland extension lines, and most date from Blue/Grey era. That said, I can dig them out if you'd like to see them...

I think I'm resigned to running my two as part of a mixed freight train, thanks. Wrenton is a long way from the Highlands - perhaps the two have come from an East Coast port.

I think there's a real problem with weathering coaches in N gauge, and that's viewing distance.

And, of course, photos complicate things, too. An effect which is subtle in a photo may be hardly visible in reality. I think getting underframe and bogies right makes a huge difference. And it would be nice to have an airbrush to do the roofs but I wonder if it would get much use once my remaining carriages are done. Perhaps better to spend the money on a couple more locos!

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
« Reply #464 on: January 21, 2018, 11:57:28 AM »
And, of course, photos complicate things, too. An effect which is subtle in a photo may be hardly visible in reality. I think getting underframe and bogies right makes a huge difference. And it would be nice to have an airbrush to do the roofs but I wonder if it would get much use once my remaining carriages are done. Perhaps better to spend the money on a couple more locos!

Personally, I found even a cheap Amazon.co.uk airbrush opened up new modelmaking techniques that the investment was worthwhile -- after a time, just buying rolling stock ceased to be fun but more like stamp collecting, if that makes sense. There's nothing out there I really need, so I only buy the odd bargain when it turns up. The airbrush let me try out resprays and kit-building that wouldn't have been doable with just a paint brush.

That said, my layout building skills aren't even a tenth of yours -- this layout photographed here is spectacular. So far be it from me to tell you what to do!

Cheers, NeMo

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything