!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 127967 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #255 on: November 02, 2017, 09:47:24 AM »
Hard to believe that last photograph is a photo of a model and not an old photo of a real location!!

Just what I was thinking...I mean look at the roof tiles and the flowers and bushes at the front of that house in front. It looks more realistic than most 00/4mm layouts.

If anyone ever says N gauge is too small to look lifelike enough they should be shown this layout.

I couldn't agree more.  I was particularly impressed by the positioning of the excellent figures which is difficult to get right in any scale.

Paradoxically, perhaps, I think 'N' gauge often looks more realistic than the larger scales!  This wonderful layout is a marvellous example of that notion.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #256 on: November 02, 2017, 02:44:46 PM »
Hard to believe that last photograph is a photo of a model and not an old photo of a real location!!

Well there is this old postcard...

Online maridunian

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #257 on: November 02, 2017, 06:10:23 PM »
I've been trying to find places on the layout where I can put the camera down at ground level.

Brilliant - perfect lighting and shadows, plus your modelling skills make this so realistic!

Depending on your camera, one of these might do the trick. If it's a phone, then a 'selfie stick' could help; for things in-between, maybe a little mirror at 45'?

Anyway, thank you for sharing these inspiring images!

Mike
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop:  Maridunian's Models

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #258 on: November 02, 2017, 06:35:07 PM »
Depending on your camera, one of these might do the trick. If it's a phone, then a 'selfie stick' could help; for things in-between, maybe a little mirror at 45'?

Thanks Mike, yes I'd looked at that 'lens' as a possible solution, though it would need a stepping ring to fit my camera. I also doubt that I could hold the camera sufficiently still while I adjust the focus - I use focus stacking to get the depth of field I want, taking up to six or seven shots for each picture. So I'm thinking about making up something using a small mirror as you suggest - but so far only thinking about it!

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #259 on: November 04, 2017, 07:19:57 AM »
 Hi Roger, great realism and thank you for the photographic insight.

:helpneededsign:  Can I ask what material you have used for the road surface? Some use card, others fine sandpaper. From the realism in your photos do you use fine tarmac?  :hmmm:  :thankyousign:

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #260 on: November 04, 2017, 09:23:56 AM »
Another question, please. Do you use static grass? If so, which and do you have any tips as I'm planning to try it on the railway embankment at the front of my layout, Cant Cove.

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #261 on: November 04, 2017, 10:25:38 AM »
Wow!! What a great modelling skills and photography!!

Houses are slightly off angles each other due to the road angle! Brilliant!!
Nice roadside grasses too.

Trees behind of houses have an outstanding effect!!
The perfection!!

Dats
Best regards with my annoying moving signature.
  :drool: Dats  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxMwG2GNX3Va9AFLRaNH5xw

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #262 on: November 04, 2017, 11:48:53 AM »
Can I ask what material you have used for the road surface? Some use card, others fine sandpaper. From the realism in your photos do you use fine tarmac?

Hi Keith. The roads are just Polyfilla, applied at the time I plaster over the whole scenic area. Have a look at page 5 of this thread where there are some photos of how I built up the slopes. Most of the scenic area is covered with a layer of filler, then plaster cloth and then a smoothing coat of filler. In the roads, though, I omit the plaster cloth. I'm not great at getting plaster nice and smooth so it took one or two extra skims to get it looking good. Once dry I gave the plaster a spray, grey in the road areas. Then I added further coats of paint using several different shades of grey - sampler pots from the DIY store - mixing the colours on the model and blending them together. Finally some drybrushing in a few areas. I think varying the colour slightly looks more realistic than using just one throughout.

On an existing layout I'd probably go for a thin card or thick paper. I'm not convinced that reasonably modern roads have the sort of texture that sandpaper would represent, though I admit the ones round here are getting a bit bumpy!

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #263 on: November 04, 2017, 12:10:32 PM »
Another question, please. Do you use static grass? If so, which and do you have any tips as I'm planning to try it on the railway embankment at the front of my layout, Cant Cove.

Hi Chris. Yes, static grass everywhere! I wish it had been around when I last tried building a layout (1960s - ouch!). Most of it is War World Scenics but there's a little bit of Noch here and there. As with painting roads, I think it's important not to use the same colour all over an area. I've avoided using the spring colours and only used the summer ones mixed with some autumn colours. Their patchy mix is quite useful, too. I've used Gaugemaster glue most of the time, but have also used the WWS stuff. Also the latter's layering spray for adding longer or differenly coloured patches. I usually make a paper mask when using the spray adhesive so that I can control the area that I want to cover. I use 1mm length in cared-for situations (mostly the gardens, of course) and 2mm as the norm elsewhere but with some 4mm here and there (along that fence in the village photo for example) and even a few small areas of 6mm.

There are some step by step videos on the WWS web site (http://www.war-world.co.uk/) and loads more on YouTube.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #264 on: November 04, 2017, 12:14:17 PM »
Houses are slightly off angles each other due to the road angle! Brilliant!!

Thanks Dats - Yes, I do hate straight lines!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #265 on: November 04, 2017, 10:21:30 PM »
Many thanks, Roger, for the detailed static grass info. I'll definitely give it a try, then, as described, but later, as I have too much else to do.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #266 on: November 05, 2017, 10:13:13 AM »
Thank you Roger, very helpful. That is a similar technique to how I have constructed the roads in my quarry. I wasn’t too worried about the road surface quality there and was interested to see you had achieved such realism on Wrenton. Looks like I need to keep on practicing.....  :thankyousign:

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #267 on: November 05, 2017, 11:16:14 AM »
Time for another village photo. Enjoy!

Online w greatbatch

• N Gauge Society Number: 14199
    • Awards
« Reply #268 on: November 05, 2017, 11:32:04 AM »
This is N Gauge modelling at it's very best, I almost feel like I know this place. :wonderfulmodelling:

Offline Jerry Howlett

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #269 on: November 05, 2017, 12:41:25 PM »
 :goggleeyes: :goggleeyes: :goggleeyes: :goggleeyes:

WOW!!

Jerry
Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything