!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 128033 times)

pape_timmo and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #225 on: October 21, 2017, 10:35:08 AM »
Useful info here: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/9-loads/9-tarps.htm

Many thanks; very useful. I may try making up an A4 sheet of BR tarpaulins, later, then.

Online RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #226 on: October 21, 2017, 05:19:34 PM »
@rogerdB

Roger, can I ask you to apologise to MBH please? You see I had planned to spend today doing DIY, but after finding this thread on Monday thought I'd devote an hour to reading it in full this morning. Well an hour wasn't even close to adequate. No, I've spent nearly all day admiring your work - gazing at my screen in wonder and awe. :admiration:

Thank you for sharing your beautiful work. Each and everyone of your posts were worthy of a 'Thank You' but I didn't want to break the Forum! This thread is entertaining, educational and (once I'd moved passed feeling that my bodging was unworthy and I should give up modelling,) massively inspirational.

So I'm afraid I will have to tell MBH that it's your fault the plastering is still unfinished. Sorry! :D

:thankyousign: :superblayout: :greatwork: :wonderfulmodelling:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #227 on: October 21, 2017, 07:05:54 PM »
@rogerdB

Roger, can I ask you to apologise to MBH please?

I'm so very sorry!! I was planning to do some gardening but thank goodness the weather stepped in and gave me an excuse to do some more wagon weathering, so we can all find an excuse for not getting real jobs done...

And thanks for your comments, pleased to hear that you enjoyed the thread.

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #228 on: October 21, 2017, 11:59:35 PM »
Opened the Case for The Defence by showing Judge MBH, Exhibit 'A' - this thread.
 :heart2: Case dismissed!  :angel: :beers:
And, bonus, I'm let off the DIY! :bounce: As long as we can move to a house exactly like this..

:'( We can't.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 12:00:39 AM by RailGooner »
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #229 on: October 22, 2017, 06:48:41 PM »
And, bonus, I'm let off the DIY! As long as we can move to a house exactly like this.. We can't.

But it’s nice to dream…

I think it’s my favourite building, though I did have to position it so that the front faces the back of the layout. The original is in Finchingfield and dates from the sixteenth century, perhaps earlier. So you’d probably have DIY to do every weekend if it was yours!

At one time it served as a workhouse. A bit of history for you - the Workhouse Test Act of 1723 required anyone seeking poor relief to enter a workhouse and do a set amount of work, usually unpaid. In 1767 two churchwardens, John Beddall and Edward Myhill, undertook the task of "erecting of ye workhouse", meaning finding and equipping a suitable building. The house was rented at £7 per annum and a John Strachy was appointed to manage it, helped by his wife, and paid £1 per month. They were discharged after six months and John Atherton was appointed on different terms. He received 1/6d (7½p) per head per week for the first year with at least 25 people in the house. This rose to 2/- during Atherton's days.

The terms for his successor, Thomas Moor, reduced the minimum number of inmates to 16 and he had to provide sufficient "meat, drink, washing, etc" and to "cloath out" any person taken out of the house. Later managers were Samuel Turner, John Cracknell and finally Simon Turner (possibly Samuel's son) who managed to get his remuneration increased to 3/- (15p) per person per week. A couple of years after changes to the Poor Law in 1834 the inmates were transferred to a large building in a nearby town.

In later times the building housed a butcher's shop. I assume that customers were served through the windows - note the size of the one to the left of the door. Perhaps the two dark windows were covered by shutters when the photo was taken.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #230 on: October 25, 2017, 10:00:16 PM »
I’ve been weathering more wagons, this time doing some vans. I’ve added some conflats to the train to make it look more interesting.

As suggested in various books and articles about N gauge weathering, I’ve kept it simple.

I started by applying neat Lifecolor weathered black, one section of the side at a time. I wiped off most of the paint using a paper kitchen towel using vertical strokes. I find the paper easier to use than cotton buds. I then worked in a little extra thinned paint here and there, again using vertical strokes. I also picked out one or two planks with Lifecolor frame dirt or one of the weathered wood colours.

I used their roof dirt colour on the roofs, with other colours blended in. The chassis are painted with weathered black and rust base colour, mixed on the model so that the colour varies slightly from area to area. Other rust colours were applied in small touches when the first application had dried.

The vans meet the coal train.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #231 on: October 25, 2017, 10:03:05 PM »
Brilliant!

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #232 on: October 26, 2017, 09:45:43 AM »
Superb work; truly realistic. Many thanks for these photos. and the detailed explanation. I must try some goods stock weathering.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #233 on: October 26, 2017, 09:55:37 AM »
You must have MRJ breathing down your neck!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Candy Apple Head

• Awards
« Reply #234 on: October 26, 2017, 10:22:42 AM »
Can't get enough of these superb photos.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #235 on: October 28, 2017, 10:19:12 PM »
Today I photographed the coal train again, this time as it passes the platforms. Can't decide which of two crops is best, so here are both of them so you can make your own choice!

Offline Pjlons83

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #236 on: October 28, 2017, 10:53:06 PM »
Great photo's. Thanks for sharing.  :greatpicturessign:
Gold Hill - my rule 1, “just for fun” micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #237 on: October 28, 2017, 11:02:47 PM »
Although both photos. are superb, my favourite is the second one with the close-up of the highly life-like train.

Offline RicardoFig

• Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #238 on: October 28, 2017, 11:06:35 PM »
Allways a pleasure to see a new update on this topic.  :beers:

Online Mito

• Awards
« Reply #239 on: October 28, 2017, 11:08:13 PM »
The first for me. I like the openness of it.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=40567.0 125x60 and a bit.
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=24101.0 Off on a journey

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything