!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 127495 times)

jpendle, Bealman and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Mr Sprue

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #195 on: October 08, 2017, 04:48:26 PM »
WoW! :goggleeyes: Fantastic pictures, the only thing missing is the smoke and steam, if there was it would play tricks on the human eye.

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #196 on: October 10, 2017, 10:57:09 PM »
I’ve not done any weathering of rolling stock before, so it's about time to give it a try. I had a dozen assorted RTR mineral wagons, plus eight Peco kits which have been sitting in a cupboard for several years. So after some ten days work I now have a fairly grubby coal train.

First I made the loads for the wagons – nothing very original here.

Pieces of black plastikard were cut to fit the wagons. The supporting pieces were cut from 40 thou. Extra layers of black 20 or 30 thou, with chamfers filed on the edges, were added to form a nice ‘mound’. A good dollop of WS Scenic Glue was spread on top and Peco fine grade real coal sprinkled on.

Some of the wagons were weathered using Humbrol materials, the first two in the next picture, for example. I applied some Decalfix and brushed in a mix of Rust, Iron Oxide, Dark Earth and Smoke powders.

Later I switched to using Lifecolor paints from the Dust and Rust, Rail Weathering and Weathered Wood sets. All the wagons in the next photo were done with them, except of the light grey one.

The ex-PO wagon in the next pic is GF product with just a few touches of rust added to the chassis.

Offline PeteW

• Awards
« Reply #197 on: October 10, 2017, 11:15:27 PM »
Good job, Roger. You certainly have an artist's eye :thumbsup:

Offline Candy Apple Head

• Awards
« Reply #198 on: October 11, 2017, 08:19:16 AM »
Superb weathering with such realistic results Roger.

It must have taken ages to load up all those wagons! I feel very lazy the way I did mne - just a folded card platform painted black, then some wood glue spread on it before pouring the coal on top and finally fixed with PVA/water dropper.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #199 on: October 11, 2017, 09:34:20 AM »
It is also important to colour/weather the insides of the wagons and glue some small amounts of coal in them for when/if they run as empties. Here's examples of some fellow member mk1gtstu did for me.....

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #200 on: October 11, 2017, 09:37:50 AM »
Yep, the wagon master for sure.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #201 on: October 11, 2017, 10:17:45 AM »
It is also important to colour/weather the insides of the wagons and glue some small amounts of coal in them for when/if they run as empties. Here's examples of some fellow member mk1gtstu did for me.....

Yours look good. I did dirty up the interiors a bit and am planning to add some bits of coal and dust like yours if I want to run the train without the loads. There are two empties that sit in the goods yard which will have some remnants of their loads in them - they're on the list of jobs to be done! (Which seems never ending...)

Online maridunian

• N Gauge Society Number: 28772
    • Awards
« Reply #202 on: October 11, 2017, 10:36:49 AM »
This is really inspiring modelling. Am part way through a house move, so all my stuff's boxed somewhere, but I can't wait to get back to it.

I used a similar, but quicker trick for dummy coal loads. Take a polystyrene ceiling tile, cut into wagon-width strips, chop these into wagon-length rectangles. With finger tips/tweezers, pluck some bubbles off the top edges to create a mounded effect. Cover with PVA, sprinkle on coal. Simples!

Mike 
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 06:30:44 PM by maridunian »
My layout: Mwynwr Tryciau Colliery, the Many Tricks Mine.

My 3D Modelshop:  Maridunian's Models

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #203 on: October 11, 2017, 04:53:15 PM »
Really superb work on the wagons, Roger, and the similar work of mk1gtstu. Highly realistic. I hate to be picky but BR brown-liveried wagons were vacuum-braked (or, at least, through piped) whilst the non-vacuum-braked ones were grey and it was usual to have the brown wagons marshalled at the front of trains as a 'fitted head' with the grey ones behind with a brake van at the end. The purpose of the 'fitted head' was to assist the loco.'s brakes when slowing the train.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #204 on: October 11, 2017, 09:52:13 PM »
Really superb work on the wagons, Roger, and the similar work of mk1gtstu. Highly realistic. I hate to be picky but BR brown-liveried wagons were vacuum-braked (or, at least, through piped) whilst the non-vacuum-braked ones were grey and it was usual to have the brown wagons marshalled at the front of trains as a 'fitted head' with the grey ones behind with a brake van at the end. The purpose of the 'fitted head' was to assist the loco.'s brakes when slowing the train.

Agreed, but when I set it up that way it didn't make a very good photo! I have a vague memory that it was possible to have as few as four fitted vehicles behind the loco, running with a speed limit of 35mph. Which might have looked ok had I thought of it when I was taking the photos...

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #205 on: October 12, 2017, 04:48:43 PM »
I fully understand, Roger. Good to read that.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #206 on: October 13, 2017, 07:07:22 AM »
Great weathering Roger,  :thumbsup:

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #207 on: October 16, 2017, 10:21:55 PM »
I’ve done more wagon weathering the last few days and made up four more Peco kits, this time the 5-plank opens. I used the Peco wagon loads – the ones representing crates - for a couple of them. I’d bought the barrel loads too, but wasn’t very impressed as they only seem to represent about half a barrel! Instead I used separate barrels by Faller. The tarpaulins were made from tissue paper, painted after they had been fitted to the wagon. I used Mek Pak to fix them in place, so they’re permanent fixtures on the wagons. The Rugby Cement van was bought factory weathered and I haven’t done much to it.

The three wagons below are also factory weathered but I have done quite a lot more to them. I washed them over with Lifecolor Weathered Black. The roofs were painted with Roof Dirt with more of the Weathered Black and some Track Dirt. The chassis didn’t need much doing to them, just a few touches.

Finally I had a go at the two ex-PO wagons which seem to have taken up residence in the goods yard. To matt the bottom of the wagons I applied a thin layer of WS Scenic Glue and worked in some Humbrol Smoke powder. When that had dried I applied some more glue in places and added some Peco coal. I crushed some of the fine grade even finer for this job – Mr. King, the local coal merchant, doesn’t like to leave behind any larger lumps…

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #208 on: October 16, 2017, 10:27:27 PM »
Very nice work indeed. Thank you for these great photos.

Online RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
  • I'm supporting Soldier F
    • Ebay
    • my Flickr Albums
    • Awards
« Reply #209 on: October 16, 2017, 10:34:38 PM »
 :thankyousign: :greatpicturessign:

Lovely work Roger. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“We are indebted to those soldiers who served with courage and distinction to bring peace to Northern Ireland,” UK Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said. “The welfare of our former service personnel is of the utmost importance.”

Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit | Utrinque Paratus | Caveat lector

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
December Donations

Advertise Here