!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 64570 times)

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #510 on: January 31, 2018, 08:52:44 AM »
some particularly nice pictures which might help a little.

http://www.steve-banks.org/prototype-and-traffic/133-teak-coaches

What a gorgeous set of images, a man could almost go LNER! ;)

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #511 on: January 31, 2018, 09:38:45 PM »
Thanks all for the comments. John - I agree with Steve, thatís a great set of photos. I see some coaches with teak coloured solebars, etc and some which are normal weathered grey. Perhaps the latter are teak coloured beneath the dirtÖ

I looked at some pics online of preserved vehicles and they, too, show a mix of teak and grey solebars. Perhaps I could paint one side of my models teak and leave the other side grey?!

Iíve acted on a suggestion by NPN a few posts back and bought some corridor connectors. I spent some time today making up and fitting some to my Mk1 coaches and Iíve got some Gresley ones to do too. So Iíll have a think about whether to change the painting of the teak coaches before I fit them.

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #512 on: February 01, 2018, 06:45:56 AM »
They buffers ought not to have clashed in normal service as these carriages were 'buck-eye' fitted.  I suppose the answer would be to paint the buffer heads a weathered grey-brown.
I'm pretty sure that buckeye couplers didn't appear until MK3 stock.  I seem to remember that right through the 60s, the good old screw coupler was still used on pretty much all passenger stock.  Once jointed rails disappeared, the rythmic ride associatd with them gave way to a rather uncomfortable irregular pulling as the drawbar tension cascaded down the train.  Of course, buckeye couplers eliminated that, but were they ever fitted to Gresley teak coaches?
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #513 on: February 01, 2018, 09:07:26 AM »
I Think you'll find buck eyes were fitted to teak carriages of the LNER.
http://www.lnersvrcoachfund.org.uk/gnr_2701_restoration_2005.html

Also I believe the SR used them as well.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 09:22:19 AM by The Q »

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #514 on: February 01, 2018, 09:43:45 AM »
They buffers ought not to have clashed in normal service as these carriages were 'buck-eye' fitted.  I suppose the answer would be to paint the buffer heads a weathered grey-brown.
I'm pretty sure that buckeye couplers didn't appear until MK3 stock.  I seem to remember that right through the 60s, the good old screw coupler was still used on pretty much all passenger stock.  Once jointed rails disappeared, the rythmic ride associatd with them gave way to a rather uncomfortable irregular pulling as the drawbar tension cascaded down the train.  Of course, buckeye couplers eliminated that, but were they ever fitted to Gresley teak coaches?

Yes.

They were introduced by the Great Northern in the Edwardian era and used particularly on ECJS.  They became more widespread and O S Nock considered that they saved many lives in the Castlecary collision of 1937.

Here's the back-end of an 'A4':-

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/ce/Roundhouse%2C_Barrow_Hill_-_geograph.org.uk_-_1592635.jpg

It took the Euston Confederacy a while to catch up with the East Coast!  But, as 'The Q' helpfully mentions, the dear old Southern adopted the buck-eye.

All the very best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline 25901JFM

• N Gauge Society Number: 23462
    • Awards
« Reply #515 on: February 01, 2018, 10:11:22 AM »
The BR standard passenger stock had Buck Eye couplers (including the Gangway fitted BG's).  They are drop head couplers and the end vehicles would have the heads dropped and the buffers pulled out with collars fitted behind them for loco's to couple to the train using the screw link coupling on the loco. Whilst this video relates to AC EMU's, at around 8m 45s it shows how you would prepare the unit for the attachment of an assisting locomotive.  The scenario is the same procedure used for attaching a loco to coaching stock except that that the loco screw link is used rather than the red painted emergency screw link used in the video.  However the SR Class 33/1 push pull loco's and 73's were fitted with drop head buck eye couplers has they could work in multiple with SR EMU's and the 4TC sets and when coupled to conventional coaching stock the buck eyes were normally used on the SR not so sure about the WR though as they had a distinct dislike of southern practices!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IlN48YkhA8 

Offline Novice41

• Awards
« Reply #516 on: February 01, 2018, 01:54:27 PM »
Are we getting a little off the subject of Wrenton. I'd like to see more about the village.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #517 on: February 01, 2018, 02:45:09 PM »
 :helpneededsign:
Are we getting a little off the subject of Wrenton. I'd like to see more about the village.

But isn't it amazing how much knowledge members of the forum have?

I'm running out of ideas for photographing the village itself. Getting the camera into likely spots is tricky and always risks damaging the models. Some of the earlier shots taken during construction allowed me to get into places that are no longer accessible. Page 1 of the thread has my earliest buildings, standing alone, and pages 5-7 show the village being put together, including some of those now impossible angles. The material on this thread is also, and more concisely, on my web site - http://www.roger-beckwith.co.uk. Also there are some photos of the village where many of the buildings provided inspiration for my models.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #518 on: February 03, 2018, 01:59:39 PM »
Here's a first pic of a corridor connector fitted to a Gresley teak. I'm hoping to take some photos this afternoon so more coming soon.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #519 on: February 03, 2018, 02:52:11 PM »
Very nice work, Roger. Thanks for this update.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #520 on: February 04, 2018, 03:14:15 PM »
Well, yesterday afternoon's photo session was much shorter than intended but I did manage to get this shot. A difficult angle and I will have to plead guilty to doing a bit of Photoshopping on it. The area of greenery and sky in the top right hand corner was pasted on from another picture of the layout. Looks a bit better than the window which was there originally. Makes me wish the baseboard was a bit wider... Anyway, it gives you another view of a corridor connector.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #521 on: February 04, 2018, 03:56:18 PM »
Thatís lovely.
Please donít stop the photography. I donít mind repeat shots as your layout is such an inspiration.
Always something to look at.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #522 on: February 04, 2018, 04:59:09 PM »
I'm not being critical but a bit like my early Farish MK1s, those coaches could do with shorter shank couplings so as to 'concertina' the corridor connectors as they appear somewhat long :hmmm:

I've bought some smaller Farish ones but don't know if Dapol do a shorter version of their own.

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #523 on: February 04, 2018, 05:26:17 PM »
Another cracking photo Roger. Thank you.

Online Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #524 on: February 04, 2018, 05:38:39 PM »
Lovely pictures Roger!

I've found that by using two short shank Dapol dummy knuckle couplers, I can get the corridor connectors of my Dapol Gresley to just about touch while still getting around 10.5 inch curves.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £317.00
Above Goal: £262.00
Site Currency: GBP
576% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything