!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 125642 times)

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #2205 on: November 13, 2019, 09:23:43 PM »
Roger, I was wondering if Mr King's first name is Nathanial.

I think you've come up with a suitable name for him, John. Wonder if he can sing? Probably not as well as his namesake - what a gorgeous voice he had.

Today the 2MT has assembled its train but has to wait for Liverpool to pass by.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #2206 on: November 15, 2019, 09:14:57 PM »
Time for the 2MT to get under way. Strange how often that northbound empty coal train emerges from the tunnel just as other trains head south. Is Wrenton getting a bit predictable? Maybe not...

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #2207 on: November 16, 2019, 08:25:12 PM »
I did hint that Wrenton might get less predictable. The layout may be a Rule One zone but this one takes a bit of explaining! Did it escape from Poppingham, perhaps?...

Well, it is a very pretty model; in its SECR livery it looks especially grand and it makes a change to have a pristine loco. It arrived at lunch time and all Iíve done to it so far is remove the front coupling and pose it for these photos. Iíll have to work on ideas for explaining its presence!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #2208 on: November 16, 2019, 09:25:15 PM »
You're going to need some birdcage carriages!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #2209 on: November 16, 2019, 10:30:07 PM »
You're going to need some birdcage carriages!  :thumbsup:

I'm saving up! I do have a problem, though. Do I get them in that rather unattractive SECR brown or the much more attractive, but less appropriate, SR green?

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #2210 on: November 16, 2019, 10:43:52 PM »
Can't answer that one, I'm afraid, Roger!

Technically, of course, you should have the black version with the BR coaches....  ;)

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #2211 on: November 16, 2019, 11:25:12 PM »
Technically, of course, you should have the black version with the BR coaches....  ;)

I'm actually thinking ahead a bit with this purchase. If I do ever get round to a new project it would be a heritage period model, so although this particular loco hasn't survived, rule one could apply and change history! So, would a preservation line which managed to get hold of some birdcage coaches paint them in brown or green (or even BR vermillion) to go with the SECR livery of the loco? In the meantime the train could run on Wrenton, perhaps with an SLS headboard. OK, it's fantasy, but so is pretending that a tiny assembly of plastic and metal is a real loco...

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #2212 on: November 16, 2019, 11:40:24 PM »
Yeah, we'll all a bit loopy that way, I guess  ;)

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2213 on: November 17, 2019, 08:55:37 PM »
Well, it is a very pretty model; in its SECR livery it looks especially grand and it makes a change to have a pristine loco. It arrived at lunch time and all Iíve done to it so far is remove the front coupling and pose it for these photos. Iíll have to work on ideas for explaining its presence!

My copy of The Observer's Book of Railway Locomotives of Britain, 1966 edition, purchased new in 1969 and by then seriously out of date, contains a lovely little phrase which might help you:  'Purchased privately and restored for preservation in working order.'  Given the late 'fifties/ early 'sixties look of Wrenton, this explanation seems plausible.

Your 'C' is a very nice engine.  I enjoyed seeing the Prof's one running on Poppingham with the Southern green 'Birdcage' carriages.  An engine in pre-Grouping livery with a train of Big Four carriages was a common sight in the early days of preserved railways and can still be enjoyed on the Bluebell Railway.

All good wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #2214 on: November 17, 2019, 10:13:07 PM »
An engine in pre-Grouping livery with a train of Big Four carriages was a common sight in the early days of preserved railways and can still be enjoyed on the Bluebell Railway.

Thanks John, I think you've persuaded me to go for the SR livery. It is so much more attractive than the SECR one even though the green doesn't match that of the loco. Thanks, too, for the recent photo showing the combination on Poppingham.

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #2215 on: November 17, 2019, 11:26:50 PM »
There's a museum nearby? Or some local big-wig with loads of dosh and a private collection? I think the rules were not as severe back in BR days as they are now. Alan Pegler ran 'Flying Scotsman' on the mainline with, as far as I am aware, seeming impunity.

Just don't bankrupt yourself sending your SECR loco on tour in the USA!

If your not happy with those explanations for its presence on Wrenton, then go for "It looks beautiful so that's the end of the matter!"
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #2216 on: November 17, 2019, 11:49:19 PM »
If your not happy with those explanations for its presence on Wrenton, then go for "It looks beautiful so that's the end of the matter!"

Just so, Chris. In fact, seeing that the village is pretty timeless I could make Wrenton a heritage station. A few immaculate wagons and some broken down ones in the goods yard, a coach or two covered in tarps with them, lots of modern cars on the roads and transformation done!

Offline chrispearce

• Awards
« Reply #2217 on: November 18, 2019, 08:14:35 AM »

Just so, Chris. In fact, seeing that the village is pretty timeless I could make Wrenton a heritage station. A few immaculate wagons and some broken down ones in the goods yard, a coach or two covered in tarps with them, lots of modern cars on the roads and transformation done!

Not a bad idea there Roger. If one looks at places like Winchcombe on the GlosWarks Railway or Blue Anchor or Washford on the West Somerset (to name but a few) then these villages haven't changed much in many years. I reckon you could save the ordeal of building another layout and just buy locos etc. from any period from pre-grouping to the 1970s. I say 1970s because that is when I feel major rationalisation took place and local goods yards really began to disappear. You could always build a model Aldi in your yard!

Wrenton, as always, has bags of potential! :D
Some situations in life are like dairy cows. When you see 'em you just gotta milk 'em.

Online Bealman

• Awards
« Reply #2218 on: November 18, 2019, 08:26:50 AM »
Just as long as we don't see blue diesels going through there  ;)

Edit: Unless it's a Blue Pullman  :D

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #2219 on: November 18, 2019, 08:46:49 AM »
You could always build a model Aldi in your yard

I think the local council might have something to say about that idea!! By the way, good luck with the operation. Expect to feel sore; I speak from experience - twice.

Just as long as we don't see blue diesels going through there. Unless it's a Blue Pullman.

No way, not even a Pullman!

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £15.00
Below Goal: £45.00
Site Currency: GBP
25% 
December Donations

Advertise Here
anything