!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 121300 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #2145 on: October 20, 2019, 09:39:54 PM »
A photo a day keeps the blues away :D
As ever - superb.

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #2146 on: October 21, 2019, 09:12:41 PM »
A photo a day keeps the blues away :D
As ever - superb.

Does that mean I've got to find a photo every day now! Well, I did have another play with the phone this afternoon sitting it on a block of wood which in turn was placed on the track between the platforms.

Shame I didn't get it to focus on the 'Passengers must cross...' sign. And I must fit a coupling hook to that loco.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #2147 on: October 22, 2019, 09:30:00 PM »
A meeting of 4MTs...

Being able to crop this image so that there's little to suggest it's Wrenton makes me wish I'd had enough space to have a real countryside area on the layout. Just the tracks and scenery, perhaps a river and a farmstead. Wishful thinking doesn't make space, unfortunately!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2148 on: October 23, 2019, 08:54:57 AM »
Maybe a separate small 'plank' you can hide in a corner somewhere and for purely photographic purposes? :hmmm:

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #2149 on: October 23, 2019, 09:12:34 AM »
What to me would be better, and save the manhandling of those lovely weathered locos and stock, would be incorporating a sort of branch (even if it leaves from the fiddle yard).

That way trains could be run into the scenic stretch for photography, and carefully reversed back out onto the main layout?

I can hear me cogwheels grinding.

Perhaps I'm over thinking this.  :uneasy:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Hailstone

• N Gauge Society Number: 17138
    • Awards
« Reply #2150 on: October 23, 2019, 12:47:50 PM »
A meeting of 4MTs...

Being able to crop this image so that there's little to suggest it's Wrenton makes me wish I'd had enough space to have a real countryside area on the layout. Just the tracks and scenery, perhaps a river and a farmstead. Wishful thinking doesn't make space, unfortunately!

Try not to mess with perfection Roger, most of us would give our eye teeth to have a layout that looks this good

Regards,

Alex

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #2151 on: October 23, 2019, 05:23:37 PM »
Lovely work Roger, stunning pics, even with the camera phone ... like everyone else, I need to look twice at some of them to confirm they are not real life!

Look forward to seeing if you take up the challenge of the NGS kits, while most are straightforward, I struggled a bit with the horsebox ones.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #2152 on: October 23, 2019, 09:33:37 PM »
More superb pics Roger, my new layout I hope to be able to take better pics, probably not has good has yours but hopefully a improvement, you set a high standard.
Lil Chris
My new layout here, Irwell Valley Railway. https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=47127.0

my old layout was East Lancashire Lines.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #2153 on: October 23, 2019, 10:27:25 PM »
Thanks for the comments!

Maybe a separate small 'plank' you can hide in a corner somewhere and for purely photographic purposes? :hmmm:

Mmmm - trouble is, Mick, I start to plan something small and it rapidly grows to the point where it needs a proper baseboard!

What to me would be better, and save the manhandling of those lovely weathered locos and stock, would be incorporating a sort of branch (even if it leaves from the fiddle yard).

You must be a distant mind reader, George. I've been thinking of removing the turntable in the fiddle yard giving me room for a couple of slightly longer storage roads than the ones that lead to the turntable. And eyeing that area I did start wondering if I could use one of those roads to lead to another scenic area. The problem is the required baseboard would have to go out the door and into the passageway. End of wondering, back to two slightly longer sidings.

Try not to mess with perfection Roger, most of us would give our eye teeth to have a layout that looks this good

Thanks Alex. Don't worry, Wrenton is pretty much set in stone (or plasticard). There are one or two things I'd like to do - some clutter in the goods yard for one, and also around the platelayers' hut. Some nice, rusty, lengths of Code 40 rails would look nice there.

Look forward to seeing if you take up the challenge of the NGS kits, while most are straightforward, I struggled a bit with the horsebox ones.

I think I'll look for the easier ones, Andrew, as I never seem to have much luck assembling kits. I can manage the Peco wagons but they're as simple as simple can be. I'm currently painting a couple of their brake vans and printing some transfers with which to number them.

More superb pics Roger, my new layout I hope to be able to take better pics, probably not has good has yours but hopefully a improvement, you set a high standard.

Nice chance for some step by step photos, Chris. Looking forward to see what you build.

And finally - there were some pictures of misty scenes on the morning weather forecasts today so I thought I do a misty shot of Wrenton. I didn't have time to shoot a new pic so this old one now hopefully suggests the time when the sun begins to break through the mist.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #2154 on: October 25, 2019, 08:56:52 PM »
Normal sunny weather over Wrenton today. Hopefully I'll be able to photograph the other end of these two trains tomorrow as the new Peco brake van kits are nearly ready for service.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #2155 on: October 26, 2019, 09:48:50 PM »
The brake vans are nearly finished. Perhaps a bit more dirt needed on the roofs and one or two small touches elsewhere. Then a coat of varnish. I fitted couplings to only one end. The housing at the other end was cut away and a small piece of plasticard inserted to fill the gap in the buffer beam. A coupling hook would be an improvement - can't find any spare ones at the moment.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #2156 on: October 27, 2019, 09:50:19 PM »
I found a couple of three link couplings for those brake vans and fitted them. Hardly worth another photo, though. Instead here's the relatively new 4MT making another appearance.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #2157 on: October 28, 2019, 09:31:47 PM »
Here's another full frontal view of Eire; like the recent shot of it approaching the station, this was taken with the phone.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #2158 on: October 28, 2019, 09:40:25 PM »
Excellent photograph, thank you, Roger.

It looks very much like it was taken from a train already at the platform.  Perhaps the Wrenton signal box has a 'calling on' arm at the home signal.

I think the '5XP' or 'Jubilee' class are particularly fine-looking locomotives.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #2159 on: October 30, 2019, 08:24:48 PM »
Here's a second picture taken with the very cheap endoscopic camera. Well, what do you expect for a fiver...

I leave you to work out where it was taken.

Correcting myself, I think the right word is borescope, not endoscope, as the latter is for medical use.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
November Donations

Advertise Here