!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 121094 times)

Offline Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #1830 on: June 23, 2019, 07:54:21 PM »
Hi Roger,

Hope all is well down your way  :thumbsup:

After a while away from here sorting out rogue tenants  >:( and installing new ones  :claphappy: I'm just catching up on things here.

I saw Portland Docks mentioned "Vistaprint" ..... I have used them many times for other things, but for my layout I used their photo book to create a record of the whole building process for Windmill Hill

The book is A5 size, and fits really nicely in the same box as the controller and rolling stock, keeping everything together.

The quality is adequate for that, but I agree with you it's not really good enough for detailed scenic photos ...... especially those as awesome as yours  :thumbsup: :D :thumbsup:

All best wishes

Kevin

:beers:

Online rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #1831 on: June 23, 2019, 09:47:22 PM »
After a while away from here sorting out rogue tenants and installing new ones I'm just catching up on things here.

Hi Kevin,

Good to know that you've got new tenants in - let's hope they don't bring you any headaches.

I think it was seeing you mention your photo books on the Windmill Hill thread that made me investigate them. But in the end, as I mentioned, I went for having separate prints made. I still fancy the idea of a book, but ones the same size as my prints (10"x12") get a bit expensive. And I bet I'd regret not including a particular shot when the book arrived!

Are you doing an article for RM? If not, please do.

I took a break from digging today, and spent a couple of frustrating hours starting to make small details for the new signal box. I think my nearly 74 year old eyes need new glasses! No new photo of progress, but here's a shot of the rear end of the train shown in Friday's post. I don't think the lamp looks so over-scale size as do the ones on the loco, probably because there are no small details with which to compare it.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #1832 on: June 23, 2019, 09:53:35 PM »
Looking good roger

Online rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1833 on: June 25, 2019, 08:26:09 PM »
Warm and humid today in Sussex by the sea.  I pity those of you who have layouts in lofts or sheds in this weather! Too good a day to spend indoors so I've been working in the garden again. This time last year I was trying to decide which locos to buy as a birthday present to myself. I think this year my present has to be all the new plants I'm buying!

I took this picture of my B1 some time ago, but thought it still worth posting.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #1834 on: June 25, 2019, 08:32:45 PM »
nevertheless roger .... your station building is very impressive

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1835 on: June 25, 2019, 08:47:31 PM »
The B1 looks right at home in that picture. And I also think the station building looks impressive - did you do it from a kit or scratch? (I only ask to save me re-reading the thread  ;)) :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 08:49:17 PM by dannyboy »
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1836 on: June 25, 2019, 09:17:46 PM »
The B1 looks right at home in that picture. And I also think the station building looks impressive - did you do it from a kit or scratch? (I only ask to save me re-reading the thread  ;)) :thumbsup:

Yes, this thread is getting a bit lengthy! The station was scratch built, in fact there are no kit built buildings on the layout. There's a bit about the station build here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38682.msg463594#msg463594

Offline dannyboy

• N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1837 on: June 25, 2019, 09:22:46 PM »
The station was scratch built, in fact there are no kit built buildings on the layout.

Thanks for that @rogerdB Having looked at the link, I remember now - must be my age or my recent illness. Whatever, I will be re-reading the thread again.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1838 on: June 26, 2019, 06:38:06 AM »
Warm and humid today in Sussex by the sea.  I pity those of you who have layouts in lofts or sheds in this weather!
It's been cold and wet since the weekend up here in the East Riding of Yorkshire.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 06:40:07 AM by Innovationgame »
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Online rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1839 on: June 26, 2019, 10:06:31 AM »
It's been cold and wet since the weekend up here in the East Riding of Yorkshire.

Perhaps something warmer by the weekend? And if it's any consolation it's murky and cooler here so far today. The downs appeared to have their heads in the clouds earlier. Might even do some modelling this morning...

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1840 on: June 26, 2019, 10:13:18 AM »
Enjoy your modelling, Roger.  :thumbsup:

Just returned from a couple of days in the Southern Highlands of NSW, and it does get cold there! :cold:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1841 on: June 27, 2019, 09:31:30 PM »
Yesterday morning a did a little work on the new signal box, adding a coal bunker under the steps, a lamp and a chimney.

The coal bunker isn't fixed to the temporary base and will need some coal dust scattered around it when (or if) it gets installed on a layout (or diorama). The lamp is a bit too large. I tried cutting down the 'glass' from a Ratio kit, a method which worked ok for the station building (https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38682.msg539151#msg539151) but this time I dropped it just as I was getting it right and the carpet monster ate it. So I gave up and used another 'glass' uncut. The lamp should be projecting from the corner of the wall but I decided that trying to drill a hole there would be likely to damage the printed brickwork and put it on the front wall instead. It's not glued into place, which is why it's not quite vertical. Maybe one day I'll have another go at making a smaller one.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #1842 on: June 27, 2019, 09:36:49 PM »
impressive !

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1843 on: June 27, 2019, 11:24:42 PM »
I hate to be the teeniest bit critical of your work Roger, but the Ratio lamp looks too big to me.

On the other hand, as you say, the lamp on the back of the brake van looks smaller than the ones on the loco. Optical illusion!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1844 on: June 28, 2019, 08:52:34 AM »
I know what you mean, George. If you compare the lamp to the steps I reckon you could secrete a small child in that lamp! Very tricky. Maybe a very small LED?

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £35.00
Below Goal: £25.00
Site Currency: GBP
58% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything