!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 120036 times)

Online bob lawrence

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #1725 on: May 18, 2019, 11:49:36 AM »
The subject of the photo is the loco so should the focus be on that?

Sorry, Bob, but I think it's more of a general shot and would have been zoomed more to the loco if it was the focus of the pic. Just my opinion, though.
Fair enough, but given the choice, as we were, in this case I prefer the bottom one.
What was your thinking in giving us a choice Roger.?

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1726 on: May 18, 2019, 02:57:36 PM »
My preference is to always have as much clarity as possible in a photograph. I know little about photography but I presume a telephoto lens blurs everything around the focal point. If I'm only interested in the focal point, a better result would be achieved by cropping. I don't think a blurred background enhances the focused subject. Then again, maybe it does for some! Thus, Roger's provision for an alternate reality.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Online bob lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #1727 on: May 18, 2019, 03:17:44 PM »
Just wondered why the choice when all other photos from Roger have been completely in focus.
All of my photos are now taken on my iPad set on a tripod with a time exposure. I can either zoom in on initial scene or zoom in on the photo and take a screenshot. Either way they will never be as sharp as Rogers.
Does a little bit of Ďextraí out of focus scene add to the photo, is there too much in this photo?
« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 03:26:35 PM by bob lawrence, Reason: Add photos »

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #1728 on: May 18, 2019, 10:31:40 PM »
Thanks for the various comments! I thought it would be interesting to see which version was preferred, but it seems to be a draw. My own preference is the first version with everything in focus. This seems to me to be more like what a photo of a similar real scene would look like. Sorry to mention focus stacks again, but that shot is a 25 layer stack. The second photo uses the same images except for the six which were focussed on the distant buildings. The pictures were taken with a lens having a focal length of 90mm (equivalent of a 180mm lens on a 35mm camera) at f/11 so the depth of focus of each shot is very small, hence the large number of exposures required to get everything sharp.

Although I usually prefer the 'everything in focus' approach there are situations where it seems less appropriate. Here's a shot I've already posted which really is a portrait of a loco.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1729 on: May 18, 2019, 11:35:38 PM »
It's weird, but when I was kid with a little Kodak fixed lens camera, I longed for a 'proper' camera, so I could make my photos more 'professional' by making the background out of focus!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Garyf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #1730 on: May 19, 2019, 08:46:40 AM »
I think the stacked images work best because like a good painting the carefully chosen views draw your eye through the scene and your focus would shift. The out of focus backgrounds look like a photo, drawing you eye through makes you feel like you are there.  The quality of the model and photos show Roger to be a true artist.

Gary

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #1731 on: May 19, 2019, 09:08:05 AM »
Would agree with the above. Roger is a talented modeller

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1732 on: May 19, 2019, 09:27:43 AM »

Although I usually prefer the 'everything in focus' approach there are situations where it seems less appropriate. Here's a shot I've already posted which really is a portrait of a loco.

I agree with the 'everything in focus' bit but the photo of the Ivatt suggests it's frozen in motion, hence the background being blurred. As opposed to actually panning a running loco as it passes to keep the loco still and the background blurred.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1733 on: May 19, 2019, 09:34:35 AM »
The blurred background is certainly more effective on human portraits, for sure.

I have candid shots of meself when I was younger that look like scenes from a movie, but I'll spare everyone that  :)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1734 on: May 19, 2019, 09:42:11 AM »

I have candid shots of meself when I was younger that look like scenes from a movie, but I'll spare everyone that  :)

:sweat: :thankyousign:

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1735 on: May 19, 2019, 09:34:34 PM »
With almost everything in focus the shunting continues...

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1736 on: May 20, 2019, 12:35:18 PM »
If I can learn to weather my wagons the way you do, Roger, I think I'll be happy to spend the remainder of my modelling days doing just that! Of course, everything looks better when it can be made to look natural.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Online DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #1737 on: May 20, 2019, 01:20:57 PM »
With almost everything in focus the shunting continues...

Roger,

You probably mentioned it earlier in the thread, but that's 70 pages now  :)

What focus stacking software do you use?

Cheers
Dave

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1738 on: May 20, 2019, 03:42:44 PM »
If I can learn to weather my wagons the way you do, Roger, I think I'll be happy to spend the remainder of my modelling days doing just that! Of course, everything looks better when it can be made to look natural.

Leon

I agree, the weathered wagons are superb.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1739 on: May 20, 2019, 10:08:27 PM »
Thanks Leon and Chris.

What focus stacking software do you use?
Cheers
Dave

Dave - Iím currently having to use two programs. Iíve got an elderly version of Photoshop which doesnít do focus stacking so Iíve been using Picolay (http://www.picolay.de/). I found one problem with it Ė I couldnít persuade it to accurately align the images so the final result included double images in some areas. This despite the fact that there is an align option in the menus. The work-around Iíve been using is to align the images in Photoshop, then saving each of the resulting layers separately and getting Picolay to process the resulting files. Itís a time consuming way of doing it but it seems to work fairly well.

Iím hoping to get a new laptop in the not too distant future and have been wondering whether to invest in a program called Affinity Photo for it (https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/desktop/). It would appear to be nearly the equal of the full version of Photoshop and does do focus stacking. Itís a one-off payment of £48.99 Ė no monthly fee Ė so itís cheaper than Photoshop Elements yet alone the full version. 

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here