!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 114686 times)

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #1650 on: April 19, 2019, 11:55:51 AM »
Hi there again, my Olympus EM5 mark ii has stacking after the last update, ie with certain compatable  pro lenses which I do not have. I have checked my camera and it does have the latest firmware installed. I have bought a book on the camera but can not see a section on stacking so perhaps it was written befor the update. I will get round to finding out how to sometime, still stuck doing wiring at the moment, that's enough for my brain for now. I do have the latest version of PS Elements, so maybe I could use that.  Thanks once again Roger for your explanation and more superb pics. I like Game of Thrones too, what a program

I took a look at the EM5 specs on the Olympus site and it would seem that it only does eight shot stacks. The implication is that it processes them in camera. But, as you say Chris, only with the pro lenses. Well, at least that removes the temptation to buy one!

This pic was taken with the new lens and required a 24 shot stack.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Promotion remains in the future
    • Awards
« Reply #1651 on: April 19, 2019, 12:05:09 PM »
Good shot. It has that telephoto lens compressed look to it that you'd get if you were photographing the real thing.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1652 on: April 19, 2019, 03:36:52 PM »
Wow that's a nice pic,24 stacks is the way to go then. I would love a pro lens,waterproof shockproof etc which I need with my history. Trouble is they are beyond my budget at the moment anyway,and only 8 stacks anyway.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #1653 on: April 19, 2019, 06:39:57 PM »
roger

absolutely stunning. looks like a real train at a real station, and
please do exhibit or consider this. positive comments and thumbs up from me chris , for the stunning photo

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1654 on: April 20, 2019, 11:21:55 AM »
Thanks for more superb photos., Roger. Have a great Easter weekend. I hope there will be some Easter special trains running! 8-)

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1655 on: April 20, 2019, 08:42:40 PM »
Thanks for more superb photos., Roger. Have a great Easter weekend. I hope there will be some Easter special trains running! 8-)

Sadly BR decided that this was a good weekend to do some work on the track a couple of miles south of Wrenton and a few miles to the north. So buses have been trundling down Church Hill, much to the concern of the of the local heritage group. The jettied Guildhall has often been damaged by large vehicles. No buses in this shot of a familiar scene, taken with the new lens, but the overhang of the first floor of the building can be clearly seen. Well, that's the fiction! The prototype building has often been damaged in this way so that bit is real. But the reason no trains are running is that the weather here on the Sussex coast is too good to spend time indoors!

Offline bob lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #1656 on: April 21, 2019, 07:34:49 AM »
Roger, I showed this photo to my wife and she really thought it was a real scene she was amazed, as are the rest of us.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1657 on: April 23, 2019, 02:21:59 PM »
Roger, I showed this photo to my wife and she really thought it was a real scene she was amazed, as are the rest of us.

Thanks Bob. Good to know it's that convincing!

Trains are running after the trackworks and here's Eire running southbound for a change. Perhaps the telephoto lens isn't too kind to this shot as it makes the curve of track and platform look much sharper than it really is.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1658 on: April 24, 2019, 09:35:33 PM »
Playing with yesterday's photo I came up with this crop.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #1659 on: April 24, 2019, 09:41:18 PM »
superb close up of a beautiful weathered loco- really have to say
thank you. interesting to know how you capture scenes like this that make me think i have gone 50 - 60 years back and am standing on your platform watching the train, waiting, or ust in the beautiful village

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1660 on: April 24, 2019, 09:48:46 PM »
Roger, the close-up is excellent, but you need not worry about the telephoto effect on the platform curve, in my opinion. I think it's exactly what you would expect from a contemporary photograph. I love it!

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1661 on: April 24, 2019, 10:45:22 PM »
superb close up of a beautiful weathered loco- really have to say
thank you. interesting to know how you capture scenes like this that make me think i have gone 50 - 60 years back and am standing on your platform watching the train, waiting, or ust in the beautiful village

TMC must take the credit for the weathering. I've always been pleased with their work.

Photos - well, a decent camera (Olympus OM-D EM10) set to aperture priority and manual focussing. A solid tripod (an elderly Velbon which has sadly parted company with its spirit level. It must be in a cupboard somewhere...). Lots of light (take a look at an old post - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38682.msg485573#msg485573). Focus stacking (https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38682.msg564337#msg564337) and some work in Photoshop and a little program called Picolay.

Roger, the close-up is excellent, but you need not worry about the telephoto effect on the platform curve, in my opinion. I think it's exactly what you would expect from a contemporary photograph. I love it!
Leon

True, but of course the curves on the real thing wouldn't be as sharp as they are on most model railways. So photos of models start with a major disadvantage.

Offline Leon

• N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
« Reply #1662 on: April 25, 2019, 09:49:23 PM »
I think a desirable objective in railroad modelling would be to capture the ethos and not the reality. I think what you've built and photographed probably looks a lot better than what a real railroad and station would have looked like at Wrenton. There is nostalgia in the old stations, but a lot of them don't hold much visual appeal - for me. Bath Spa is a very good example, as is Westbury.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1663 on: April 27, 2019, 08:44:47 PM »
Another shot of Eire and its train taken with the telephoto lens. I think the curves in this shot look rather good. For those who now know what focus stacking is, this picture required 23 shots to be combined.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1664 on: April 27, 2019, 08:47:32 PM »
Simply wonderful.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £66.00
Below Goal: £34.00