!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 96623 times)

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Thistle Fine Art
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #1635 on: April 16, 2019, 01:17:22 AM »
Naturally the first subject had to be the village!

I'm not sure I can discern the difference between this photo and your previous posts, but it IS excellent.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #1636 on: April 16, 2019, 07:17:04 AM »
Thank you for another superb photo. of Wrenton village. I'm sure your new lens was an excellent investment.

IF you really heavily weather the BR Blue parcels van to overall dirt (Not unrealistic) the blue won't show.

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #1637 on: April 16, 2019, 12:19:56 PM »
Nice pic there Roger, wondering which lens you are using. I need to experiment with my camera and lenses, but at the moment my layout is on its side having some wirring attended too. That village looks idylic, superb modeling.

It's the Olympus ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6. I think the body is plastic, it's very light. The reviews I found were all pretty good, though, and the alternative Olympus lens is several times the price I paid (£105). I'm impressed by the results so far. As usual I used aperture priority, shooting at f/11. There are a dozen shots in the focus stack.

I'm not sure I can discern the difference between this photo and your previous posts, but it IS excellent.

I like this shot because the telephoto lens 'squashes' the perspective, making the buildings look more tightly grouped. I could get a similar result, and probably have, by cropping an area out of a picture taken with the standard lens. The result would be fine for web use but the quality wouldn't be good enough if I wanted to get a print made - I usually have 12"x8"s done.

IF you really heavily weather the BR Blue parcels van to overall dirt (Not unrealistic) the blue won't show.

Oh heck, another job on the to do list!

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1638 on: April 17, 2019, 08:38:12 PM »
The first shot of a train taken with the new lens. This time there are eighteen layers in the focus stack.

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1639 on: April 17, 2019, 08:45:36 PM »
Not sure what 18 layers in a focus stack means, but the photo' is good.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Online crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #1640 on: April 17, 2019, 08:46:49 PM »
stunning shot of the loco hauling its train emerging from the tunnel with the mouth of the tunnel like a real tunnel : dark , cold inside, soot and steam stains on the tunnel and superb scenery. fab photography. anybody think your entering a local photography competition roger. chris

were you using photoshop ?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 08:50:28 PM by crewearpley40 »
blue / grey era diesels / electrics and suitable stock

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1641 on: April 17, 2019, 08:47:57 PM »
A great photo. of an only lightly weathered "Jubilee", one of my favourite loco. classes.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #1642 on: April 17, 2019, 08:52:57 PM »
Not only am I not sure what 18 layers in a focus stack is, I actually havenít got the faintest idea but........what a marvellous photograph.

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #1643 on: April 17, 2019, 09:08:44 PM »
Not only am I not sure what 18 layers in a focus stack is, I actually havenít got the faintest idea but........what a marvellous photograph.

Me neither  ;D ...... probably explains why I struggle to take decent photos of my own layout.

Alec.

You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #1644 on: April 17, 2019, 09:22:14 PM »
Whilst I do know what 18 layers in a focus stack is, I would have no idea how to achieve it. Nor do I have a digital camera and the requisite image processing software. Very impressive technique though and great results. Crudely, if I understand correctly, it enables all areas of the photo. to stay equally sharp.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1645 on: April 17, 2019, 09:50:05 PM »
Crudely, if I understand correctly, it enables all areas of the photo. to stay equally sharp.

Problem is, my camera's operator is, himself, only half sharp :-[

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1646 on: April 17, 2019, 09:55:50 PM »
You are spot on Chris, @Chris in Prague , Roger I have the same lens myself, bought from LCE s/h. But I am not up to speed on the stacking technique, I do have Photoshop Elements, I can not justify the monthly subscription for the account on the web.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline bob lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #1647 on: April 18, 2019, 07:24:39 AM »
Roger, I recall some time ago you said there is a camera which does photo stacking. Been looking on YouTube and there is a good video of the system using a Panasonic GX85. If I remember correctly you said you were looking to getting such a camera, did you?

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #1648 on: April 18, 2019, 12:39:26 PM »
It looks as though I should have hung around here yesterday evening instead of shutting down the computer and re-watching an old episode of Game of Thrones!

Yes, focus stacking is a way of increasing the depth of field (or should it be depth of focus) so that much more of the subject can be in focus. It requires multiple shots each one with a different focus setting. I think it gives a result more like a photo of the real thing and thus adds to the realism of the picture. There's an explanation of the method way back in this thread - https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38682.msg473396#msg473396 so I won't repeat it here.

My full version of Photoshop is ancient and doesn't do focus stacking. I use it to align the images all of which I then re-save and import into a free program called Picolay which does the job of picking the sharp bits of each image and combining them into one. It does have an align images option but in my version it doesn't work very well, leaving double images in parts of the picture.

One of my favourite layouts is Kevin Phare's Little Muddle. https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120848-little-muddle/. 00 of course, but fabulous modelling and great photography. He mentions (page 149) that he uses Serif Affinity to do the stacking, a program which appears to be cheaper than Ps Elements so might be worth investigating.

There was an article by Grahame Hedges about the technique in the Society Journal last year (Issue 2/18).

I didn't change cameras, Bob, I've always liked Olympus and now that I've got the second lens there's even more reason to stick with my present one. Kevin Phare says that he uses a Panasonic TZ100 which would appear to have the image stacking option.

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #1649 on: April 18, 2019, 11:21:38 PM »
Hi there again, my Olympus EM5 mark ii has stacking after the last update, ie with certain compatable  pro lenses which I do not have. I have checked my camera and it does have the latest firmware installed. I have bought a book on the camera but can not see a section on stacking so perhaps it was written befor the update. I will get round to finding out how to sometime, still stuck doing wiring at the moment, that's enough for my brain for now. I do have the latest version of PS Elements, so maybe I could use that.  Thanks once again Roger for your explanation and more superb pics. I like Game of Thrones too, what a program
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 11:29:26 PM by lil chris, Reason: extra text »
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £160.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £65.00
Below Goal: £95.00
Site Currency: GBP
41% 
July Donations