!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 101617 times)

Offline rogerdB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #150 on: September 20, 2017, 08:25:01 PM »
Narrow bridges and no pavements were not uncommon in the 50s and 60s.  It's only in more recent years that separate footbridges and traffic light control have been added.
Agreed.

My logic in having the pavement was that there's a town that's grown just off screen due to the existence of the rail link, so the pavement was a later addition. The path that's been trodden down between the station car park and the bridge is used by folk coming from there. Cover story for a simple mistake!

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #151 on: September 20, 2017, 08:27:54 PM »
Talking about Dentists, my friend said to me the dentist gives you anaesthetic while working on your teeth, trouble is nowadays you need  anaesthetic when you get the bill, it cost me £88 last week for a filling and check.

Try having implants! Still, I guess it's better than having too many gaps.

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2017, 08:28:24 PM »
This is local to me.

It's not a pavement in the far side, it's a ridge of paving stones to stop lorries knocking the side off. It is just about wide enough for a bus and a car.

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/images/1/15/The_edge_of_Caerleon_Bridge_and_the_Usk_-_Geograph_-_1592208.jpg

Matt

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2017, 08:32:11 PM »

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #154 on: September 20, 2017, 08:39:38 PM »
This is local to me.
Matt
There's a nice example near the village that inspired my buildings. Pavement separated from the road, but I wonder if any bridge over a railway would be like this.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.9516278,0.4366101,3a,75y,4.32h,88.16t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sY8OSLpRySMwvmtHWdcgEUA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #155 on: September 20, 2017, 10:34:27 PM »
Great pictures, thank you.

There a really narrow road bridge over the mainline at Oxhey Road, Watford Heath.

I recall a tanker truck getting stuck on the bridge and the road was closed for ages.

Dave G

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #156 on: September 20, 2017, 10:42:28 PM »
This was me, and yes, I felt like a complete idiot. Far side of the bridge was a 90 degree turn and a 40' drop, and I was wedged against a solid iron post.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #157 on: September 21, 2017, 07:01:59 AM »
The bridge over the mainline at Wolvercote, just north of Oxford is exactly like that.  Originally, it was a narrow bridge with no footpath.  Then they added a separate footbridge.  Now they've narrowed the road to single track, installed traffic lights and added a pavement to the main bridge.  Is there no bottom to the pot of money at the local highways department?
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #158 on: September 21, 2017, 07:05:16 AM »
Blimey, Matt!

Hope you didn't get into too much trouble.

A mate of mine does a similar job and he's told me of some of the driving 'challenges' he faces. I guess if a driver was provided with a decent HGV type satnav, that could help avoid such problems.

Apologies Roger - going  :offtopicsign:

Dave G

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #159 on: September 21, 2017, 08:53:34 AM »
I worked for Tescos and a senior manager came up to find out why the .com vans were being scraped down the sides. He said "if there were trees hanging over the road, the vans should be driven further out from the kerb"

The staff replied, that would put us in the ditch the other side.

Currently due to a fire that has burnt out a pub and the two houses alongside, I'm driving on roads like that everyday, with grass growing down the middle of the tarmac. The offical diversion is about ten miles by two way road.
The offical road closure is until some time in October, But I expect it to go on for at least 18 months as the buildings are hard on the road and they'll need to put scaffolding up to rebuild them. http://www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk/news/new-footage-of-ingham-swan-fire-captures-the-moment-ferocious-blaze-took-hold-1-5201016
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 09:01:06 AM by The Q »

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #160 on: September 21, 2017, 11:27:32 AM »
The bridge over the mainline at Wolvercote, just north of Oxford is exactly like that.  Originally, it was a narrow bridge with no footpath.  Then they added a separate footbridge.  Now they've narrowed the road to single track, installed traffic lights and added a pavement to the main bridge.  Is there no bottom to the pot of money at the local highways department?

There's a prototype for everything !

Offline mattycoops43

• Awards
« Reply #161 on: September 21, 2017, 06:57:17 PM »
Blimey, Matt!

Hope you didn't get into too much trouble.

A mate of mine does a similar job and he's told me of some of the driving 'challenges' he faces. I guess if a driver was provided with a decent HGV type satnav, that could help avoid such problems.

Apologies Roger - going  :offtopicsign:

Dave G

Thank you, and no I didn't get into trouble. We called the RAC, asked for a lorry to drag me out (access from the way in was fine) and they sent a van, the driver of said van got out and scratched his head and said '...... er.... I don't know mate'. In the end we rocked it out as it was cross axled. The sign at the top of the lane said 'not suitable for HGV' which I did not think included vans.

Anyway, shall we get back to lovely pics of a stunning layout? I feel like I hijacked the thread, my apologies.

Matt

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #162 on: September 21, 2017, 08:34:14 PM »
Anyway, shall we get back to lovely pics of a stunning layout? I feel like I hijacked the thread, my apologies.

OK, Matt, a couple more pics for you. Had to borrow a Tardis to go back a few more years. 4472 herself (or should that be himself?) with a train of Gresley Teaks. I did say Rule One applies...

That's one loco I don't want weathered.

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #163 on: September 21, 2017, 08:41:34 PM »
Many thanks for two beautiful pictures.

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #164 on: September 26, 2017, 11:24:51 AM »
Iíve added some short extra sidings to the fiddle yard. Iíve finally assembled the turntable kit which has been sitting in a box for several years. Not sure if it will stay, but time will tell.

I had to add some extra wiring to enable access to the new sidings. At the ends of each of the main storage roads Iíve got short isolated sections the power to which is fed through auxiliary switches on all the Cobalt motors involved in setting the required route. For example, in order to power the section at this end of road 10 the three way point nearest the camera has to be set to the left route, likewise the second three-way. Finally the point just beyond the black box has to be set to the curved route.

In order to get into the two sidings leading to the turntable that point beyond the black box obviously has to be set to the straight route and that cuts the power to the isolated section at the end of road 10. So one of the two push-to-make switches in the black box briefly powers it. The other button similarly powers the end section of road 1.

Hope that makes sense!

There are similar sidings at the other end of the layout. Thereís no room for a tripod or lights at this end, so itís a hand held available light shot.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £155.00
Above Goal: £100.00
Site Currency: GBP
282% 
August Donations

anything