New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wrenton  (Read 64006 times)

Offline Bealman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Wrenton
« Reply #135 on: September 14, 2017, 12:19:16 PM »
 :laughabovepost: :laughabovepost: :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #136 on: September 16, 2017, 06:16:02 PM »
KEEPING IT CLEAN

This is not very pretty! Wrenton under wraps.

For a long while I covered the layout with black bin liners. This kept the dust off and the light out. I think the latter is as important as the former. With lots of home printed textures on the buildings I didn’t want them fading too soon. As a precaution I always use the printer manufacturer’s own inks – considerably more expensive than the so-called compatibles but much more likely to resist fading.

The liners worked fine, but there was always the risk that they might catch on something fragile when placing or removing them.  So I  made up this cover using 5mm foamboard.

To support the side panels I added some strips of 3mm mdf to the sides of the baseboard to form a channel into which the panels would sit. I also wanted to support strips of acrylic glazing which would stand about 2” above scenery level to protect vulnerable parts at the front of the baseboard from visitors leaning across the layout to point out details of the cottages. I plead guilty to having done it myself. I’ve had to replace the tops of the station lamps a few too many times!

I cut three lengths of mdf for each front face of the baseboards. One was 1½” wide, the second was 3½” and the third 4”.

Here’s a cross section drawing showing how I fitted them to the baseboard.

The deepest channel takes the glazing. To add the cover uprights the glazing is removed and the foamboard sits in the wider, shallow channel at the top.

The covering foamboard pieces have narrow strips of board added front and back to form channels.

These locate the boards over the front foamboard panels and the backscene.

It only takes a couple of minutes to remove the cover and drop in the glazing.

So hopefully Wrenton is now protected from dust, light and fat bellies!

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #137 on: September 16, 2017, 07:23:44 PM »
Very nice and a really good idea, I having been thinking of something similar but need to put it into action.

Ps where do you get the foam board.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2017, 07:35:54 PM »

Hobbycraft. They were selling four sheets (approx 30" x 23") for a tenner and I needed eight so it worked out just right!

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2017, 09:23:20 PM »
Was your acrylic sourced from a nationwide company and did it accept cutting/drilling fairly easily please?

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #140 on: September 16, 2017, 10:09:45 PM »
Was your acrylic sourced from a nationwide company and did it accept cutting/drilling fairly easily please?

It came from Homebase: Liteglaze Acrylic Sheet - 120 x 60cm sheet. It cost £16.95 and one sheet was enough for Wrenton. It can be sawn but needs clamping down firmly either side of the cut and a fine tooth saw. But I used an old scribing tool I've had for ages. I made a few passes with the tool to get a good groove cut, then placed the material on the workmate with the cut line on the edge of the worktop. I clamped a length of 2x1 timber onto the overhanging part and pressed down. The result should be a nice clean cut edge which needs a bit of work with glass paper to make the edges less sharp. I found a scribing tool similar to mine on Amazon - search for Modelcraft Plastic Cutter Scriber.

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #141 on: September 16, 2017, 11:01:56 PM »
Neat and simple dust and light barrier - excellent! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reminder about Liteglaze, Roger. :thumbsup:  I used it some years ago for secondary double glazing.

@newportnobby : the manufacturers website has full details on cutting, sawing, drilling and cleaning, and it's available in different thicknesses, 2, 4 & 6mm

http://www.arielplastics.com/en-gb/products/glazing-sheet/liteglaze-acrylic-sheet/4mm-clear.aspx
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #142 on: September 17, 2017, 03:24:58 AM »

I was looking for foamboard the other day and this site seems pretty reasonable.

https://www.graphicsdirect.co.uk/foam-board/white-foam-board.html
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #143 on: September 17, 2017, 04:21:50 AM »
Roger and Daffy - Thank very much for the info on Liteglaze :thumbsup:

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #144 on: September 17, 2017, 07:54:45 AM »
Roger and Daffy - Thank very much for the info on Liteglaze :thumbsup:

Seconded.  :thumbsup:

Dave G

Offline Mr Sprue

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #145 on: September 17, 2017, 09:06:25 AM »
WoW!!! :goggleeyes: Amazing modelling Roger yet another member who thinks your skills are brilliant. I have to add your scratch built buildings are without any doubt the best I have ever seen!  :thumbsup:

Thanks for posting this thread and for the massive treat of eye candy :heart2:

Regards
David

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #146 on: September 20, 2017, 07:22:21 PM »
Thanks for posting this thread and for the massive treat of eye candy.

Thanks David, and anyone else I've missed!

Have spent much of today kneeling under the baseboard making some changes to the wiring under the scenic side of the layout. Seventy-two year old knees don't take kindly to kneeling so long, though I did have a break for a very expensive visit to the dentist. Eventually I tried kneeling on an old seat cushion I saved when I junked the rest of the chair. It helped but the extra few inches of height put my head into the danger zone! Looks as though there are several more days ahead doing this job.

So I thought I'd prepare a couple more photos of the layout as a break. First a similar view to an earlier shot, though that one was taken before this area was 'complete.' The 4MT pops up again, pulling northwards out of the station.

As it passes between the road bridge and the tunnel mouth a rather too clean B1 emerges. The road over the bridge is rather narrower than I intended - I forgot to make room for the pavement! I guess it needs a line down the centre of the road - another job to do.

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #147 on: September 20, 2017, 07:39:31 PM »
Narrow bridges and no pavements were not uncommon in the 50s and 60s.  It's only in more recent years that separate footbridges and traffic light control have been added.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #148 on: September 20, 2017, 07:41:47 PM »
Eventually I tried kneeling on an old seat cushion I saved when I junked the rest of the chair. It helped but the extra few inches of height put my head into the danger zone! Looks as though there are several more days ahead doing this job.

If you don't mind being mistaken for a skateboarder: https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=builders+knee+pads

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #149 on: September 20, 2017, 08:10:15 PM »
Very nice Rodger, the bridge looks ok width wise to me. Like someone said, when the bridge was built there would not been the same traffic, probably horse and cart's. Talking about Dentists, my friend said to me the dentist gives you anaesthetic while working on your teeth, trouble is nowadays you need  anaesthetic when you get the bill, it cost me £88 last week for a filling and check.
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here