!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury  (Read 57195 times)

Offline Leon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27933
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Wiltsbury Junction - Inspired by Westbury
« Reply #1320 on: September 08, 2020, 05:49:03 PM »
I would really suggest you run a fingertip over each and every track join, Leon.
There seems to me to be a track issue here :hmmm:

Mick, I'd agree except for the fact that the two derailments reported by the Wiltshire Daily News are on track segments that have never seen a derailment. One is a long, level, straight segment (it is an incline but built on a Woodland Scenics riser) and the other is in the tunnel on rail that isn't ballasted.

I have found problems with track joins after lifting and replacing sections of track. In each case, the fish-plates had lifted. I'm going to do was suggested, though, and check all joins.

Leon

Leon

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1321 on: September 08, 2020, 06:25:28 PM »
Agree with David, hope your Dukedog has survived in scathed Leon. I would suspect a track joint not quite right.
stay safe regards Derek.

Derek, the Dukedog seems to have not been affected by the two mishaps. I must have a lot of track joints out of alignment! I've had derailments all over the layout. Most are coaches and wagons, and I have assumed the problem to be a combination of light weight (I think manufacturers should be adding weight to their products), couplers that don't match perfectly, and uneven track. I couldn't find a way to avoid an unsatisfactory transition at the bottom and top of my inclines. The molded base of KATO track obviates a smooth transition. If the joints are faulty, logically there would be repeated derailments by a variety of rolling stock at the same spot.

On at least two occasions I've run a locomotive continuously for more than ten mintues before derailing - that's about twenty circuits of the layout.  Why would a joint problem allow rolling stock to cross nineteen times before detrailing it. Again, logically a fixed component seems less likely to be at fault than components which are moving if the problem is intermittent.

As previously stated, I will be checking every inch of rail. I can't do much about the track in the tunnel unless I identify a major problem, however.

Leon
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou

"A well-read man is defined not for how much he's read but by what he's read!" - an old man

Offline cornish yorkie

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #1322 on: September 08, 2020, 07:10:17 PM »
 :hellosign:
 Glad the Dukedog is in good order, I think checking the track joins is the best way forward although totally agree most of the goods stock is far too light & yes uncouples at random  :veryangry: best of luck for your layout Leon.
  stay safe regards Derek
ONLY ONE RULE ENJOY

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1323 on: September 08, 2020, 09:38:29 PM »
There will be general relief that this is my last post describing locomotion and related trials and tribulations. These things are layout specific, for the most part, and I'm learning that there are no short cuts. One must run the locomotives, and carefully judge performance over the entire layout. I checked the track where the Dukedog derailed, yesterday, and indeed the gap between the rails above Wiltsbury Pond was a bit wider than most. More importantly, I found granules of ballast and glue residue where it shouldn't have been. I cleaned that section of rail, replaced the Dukedog and it ran smoothly for over forty minutes without incident. There is no ballast inside the tunnel, so the problem there must be something else that wasn't manifest today.

Concurrent with the Dukedog trial, I ran the Dean Goods on the DOWN line. It stopped three times approaching the double crossover in the tunnel. The first time required a hard push to restart, but only a soft touch was need on the two other halts. The last twenty minutes, or so, was trouble free, except for pausing everytime it passed over the transition to the road bridge at the front of the layout. I checked that track carefully and could find no physical evidence to support the cause for the change in speed, other than the incline. I'll closely observe the behavior of other locomotives at that spot, but my guess is that it's simply the motor adjusting to a sudden incline. I could have done better with the transition at that point and won't blame molded track for this problem.

Leon

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1324 on: September 09, 2020, 06:39:33 AM »
it's good to hear you're making progress with the running, Leon.  I've been at it for four years with my layout and I still find occasional problems.  So don't despair.  As Churchill used to say, KBO.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1325 on: September 14, 2020, 06:58:31 PM »
As posted on Kato Layouts - Design and Construction

My ground cover for the area around the new point is complete. I'll probably weather the track and cover that bit of green paint with gray and be done with it. The railcar, as
seen, was running just fine so for once I think I've managed to avoid "gumming up the works"! Incidentally, I have a rail isolator preventing locmotives from plunging off the layout.

Leon

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1326 on: September 15, 2020, 09:04:24 PM »
I'm about to begin my next project - an attempt to build platform buildings. In the meantime, I need to place an order for road markings and I don't have a clue what markings were in use in the '30s. The set of markings I prefer, if they are appropriate, can be seen at this location - https://www.scalemodelscenery.co.uk/rx006-n-laser-cut-1950s--60s-white-self-adhesive-road-markings--n2mm1148-8098-p.asp .

I'll be grateful if someone can comment on the appropriateness of a single, white, solid middle-line for my main road. I don't think lines will be needed for my other roads, except maybe for the road into the station, and for station parking, perhaps. I presume a stopping line should be used for road crossings. I'm not sure if the tarmac would have been painted "stop".

Leon

Offline dannyboy

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #1327 on: September 15, 2020, 09:25:41 PM »
@Leon I can not comment on how appropriate those markings would be Leon, but I can comment on the Scale Model Scenery markings in general. All the road markings on Averingcliffe are as provided by SMS and I think they look okay and, being self-adhesive, are easy to apply. If you need to lift them once down, the point of a scalpel blade or similar will do the job. W. Hite and Li Ning, who did the road markings on Averingcliffe did get one line a bit skewiff so it had to be done again.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Leon

• Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #1329 on: September 15, 2020, 09:39:41 PM »
I'd already searched the Internet but didn't come up with the answer. Your source page seems to say that center road markings weren't used before 1944. Do you read it that way?

Leon

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #1330 on: September 15, 2020, 09:46:51 PM »
That's how I read it, Leon.
This from another site, though.............

the increasing use of tarred macadam road surfaces made it possible to add markings in white (concrete based) paint on the road surface. More important (but still unlit) country roads were marked down the centre with dashed white lines after about 1925 to assist people driving at night. These painted road markings were confined to the major roads in towns until the later 1930s

Online Nbodger

• N Gauge Society Number: 8788
    • Awards
« Reply #1331 on: September 15, 2020, 10:45:59 PM »

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #1332 on: September 16, 2020, 07:28:13 AM »
Before the advent of double white lines, the white line in the middle of the road indicated the relative hazardousness of overtaking.  In most cases there would be no white line then, in order of increasing percieved hazard, a short dashed line, then longer dashed lines with decreased spacing and finally a solid line.  However, there was no legal enforcement, but a court might take the line into consideration, as it would have the rules of the highway code.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118%