!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Marton Hinmarche  (Read 267708 times)

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
Re: Marton Hinmarche
« Reply #4035 on: March 24, 2020, 08:03:57 PM »
Today, we went for a four-mile walk, although it wasnít quite that simple.  However, first thing, straight after breakfast, I set the Silhouette cutting again.  I had almost completed the row of shops and my next project was the Dinsdale Arms Hotel.  Before we set off, I made a brief visit to the Train Shed to make sure I had no acrylic primer and, while I was there, I cut the last two chimney caps to length.  Then I went online and ordered some more Humbrol Liquid Poly and some acrylic primer for the gutters and drainpipes. 

The purpose of our walk was to deliver, to those without Email, the contact instructions for our local U3A help system.  We had already done that on Saturday for our own contacts, but some of the other committee members, who have responsibility each for a section of the membership, have no printer, so we took on the role of printing and delivering the instructions for them.  As we passed the butchers, we decided to put in an order for next Saturday because, when we went last Saturday, there were no chickens.  We had a shoulder of lamb instead and, next weekend, we will have a chicken instead of a shoulder of lamb.  As we came out, we noticed several white crosses on the pavement and then it dawned on us that they were queuing crosses, to keep people apart when queuing to go into the shop.

I had to leave the Silhouette running when we went out for the walk and it appeared to have finished when we returned.  However, the cutter had not returned to its Ďhomeí position.  Anyway, I ejected the sheet of Plastikard and examined it.  There was one cut that had not been made, which is very strange.  However, it can quickly be made by hand.  After coffee, I did manage a short session in the Train Shed, where I completed the chimneypots for the row of shops and then started cutting out the openings for the Dinsdale Arms.

In the afternoon, we drove over to Leconfield to deliver various bits and pieces for our granddaughter, who is a teacher and has to continue teaching because there are pupils whose parents are regarded as essential workers.  We left them in our daughterís delivery box outside her front door to avoid contact.  Later on, I managed another quite short session in the Train Shed, where I made all the cuts in the openings and began breaking out the openings.  By the time I had to stop, I broken out all the ground floor doors and windows.

We had not-so-good news of the table tennis table.  Apparently, they have 1500 orders and are simply working their way through them, so itís anybodyís guess as to when it will eventually arrive.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash: www.innovationgame.com
Coventry Corporation Transport Society: www.cct-society.org.uk
Hessle: www.hessle.org.uk

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4036 on: March 25, 2020, 07:34:35 PM »
Once again, the gas man cometh.  Our boiler seems to have developed a leak.  The pressure is dropping again, causing the heating to fail.  I noticed some small water marks on the kitchen ceiling.  On checking upstairs in the loft, there was a wet patch under the boiler.  We were hopeful that the man would be able to fix it this afternoon.  But it meant that I had to be on hand for when he arrived.

I started the morning with some U3A-related work and then I shovelled Celia another barrow load of homemade compost to sieve.  After that, I switched on the hoses and extended the back garden, once again for Celia, who then watered all the fruit trees and bushes.  After the very poor crop last year, which was almost certainly due to the very dry winter, we decided that we should give all the fruit trees and bushes some extra water whenever there is a dry spell.  It may not be necessary, but itís better to be safe than sorry.

I also managed a session in the Train Shed before coffee.  I continued to remove all the openings from the Dinsdale Arms front wall sections and then separated them ready to start work on assembly.

After coffee, I just had time for a running session.  However, I didnít have sufficient time to set up a picture, so hereís the old video (yet again) of what you would have seen, had you been there.

After that, I filled up the frogspawn pond, opened the gates and got everything ready for the gasman.  After dinner, I concentrated on some U3A administrative tasks while I awaited the gas man.  Eventually he arrived and fixed the problem with the boiler.  By then it was nearly time for a cup of tea.  Well, what a Spring-like day it has been.  We had our cup of tea in the summerhouse for the first time this year and, when we had finished, we closed it up, hoping it would remain warm enough for our aperitif.  At 3pm today, the outside temperature had soared to 17.7C, so it really did feel like Spring, although it soon became chilly once the sun started to go down.

After our cup of tea, I managed another session in the Train Shed.  This time. I added the cover layer to the exterior of section of the front wall and began to cut out the window and door openings.  I managed to finish all the openings just in time for our aperitif.

Iím pleased to be able to say that the summerhouse was still warm enough for us to enjoy our aperitif.  Also, I moved the wind chimes out onto the veranda.  Tomorrow, we hope to be able to go for a walk along the old track bed of the Beverley to Market Weighton (pronounced weeton) branch.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4037 on: March 26, 2020, 08:10:24 PM »
Thursday is normally our playday.  So today, we drove to the outskirts of Beverley and walked along the roadbed of the disused Beverley to Market Weighton railway.  We havenít walked there for two of three years and, last time we went, it was quite muddy in places with large puddles.  But it has been rejuvenated by East Riding Council and is now the Beverley and Market Weighton Rail Trail.  Unfortunately for us, that means there are now quite a lot of people out walking on it whereas, before, we never met anyone on our walks.  Of course, the current situation means that more people than usual are out there walking.  However, it was a lovely, if cold, Spring day and we enjoyed the walk.

We had a late cup of coffee on our return and then I went to the Train Shed.  I couldnít really make any progress with the buildings because I want to paint the window frames layer of the Dinsdale Arms and I also need to paint the gutters and drainpipes.  The primer didnít arrive until later in the afternoon, so I had an operating session instead. 

Like Poppingham, the Aylesbury and Worcester serves as a link between two operational railways, in this case the BR Western and Eastern regions.  DOWN trains arriving at Aylesbury, change crews and the A&W crew takes them onwards.  Most go on to Worcester, where they change crews again if proceeding off the A&W metals.  In the case of the Marylebone to Nottingham service, the crews change again at Leamington Spa.  The coal train to and from Coventry Colliery changes crew at Mickley Sidings.  The only train that doesnít change crews is the fish train from Grimsby, because it only joins the A&W shortly before reaching Marton Hinmarche and leaves the A&W metals again shortly after leaving Marton Hinmarche.  For the UP trains, the crew changes are reversed.

Todayís operating session began with 80119 arriving at Platform 3 with the 7.42am local train from Worcester (Shrub Hill).  That was followed by Forthampton Grange with the 7.12am from Paddington to Hereford (Barrs Court).  Panier tank 6713 had already been waiting at the goods end of Platform 4 with the branch goods and was ready to depart for Norton.  Hereís a busy little scene with all the trains in the station.  Also in the picture, nearest the camera, is Stanier Class 5, 45206, with the milk train, waiting patiently for the tanks to be filled.

In the afternoon, I cut up all the branches that I had removed from the fig tree a couple of days ago.  After a cup of tea, I went to the Train Shed again and used my little vacuum cleaner to clean up all the debris from the floor.  Tomorrow, I may be able to set about the priming of the window frames layer and the gutters and drainpipes.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4038 on: March 27, 2020, 07:35:33 PM »
It was quite a surreal day today.  We began with an early visit to J Sainsbury to see if we could get some of the things that have been out of stock for a while.  When we arrived there was a queue building around the carpark, of the form trolley, person trolley, etc.  We managed to join it just before the end wagged its tail out of the car park and into the access road.  The queue was held until 0800 to allow any NHS staff to clear the tills.  By the time it started moving, the end was almost out onto the public road.  Because of the spacing we were soon at the head of the queue.  The bouncers were allowing a trolley to enter each time one emerged.  Some people were thrown out of the queue because they were obviously too young.  But it was fine inside and they even had some toilet rolls, although there was still no bread mix.

When we arrived home again, we unpacked and then set out for our daily walk, during which we took the opportunity to deliver all the U3A room hire cheques plus some more instructions to members about the contact network.  There were a few people out walking and some light traffic but, apart from all the lines of parked cars on the estate roads, it was reminiscent of a suburban walk in the 1950s.  When we returned home we had coffee and then I started shredding prunings.

After dinner there was more shredding and then I shovelled another barrow load of compost for Celia to sieve.  After that, I visited the Train Shed and applied acrylic primer to the window frame layer.  Once that had gone off, I brush painted some green acrylic onto it.

I also added primer to the gutter half-round sections and a couple of drainpipes. 

The drainpipe nearest the bottom of the picture is 1mm (scale 6 inches) diameter, which may be a little oversized.  Next to it is one of 0.64mm (scale 4 inches) diameter.  The 4 inch one may be a little difficult to fix to the wall, so I will try both sizes.  Above those are the gutter sections.  The top one is curly at one end because I allowed it to stick to its neighbour whist spraying them and, when I peeled it off, it went all curly, as you can see.  However, more that half of it is salvageable, so Iím not too upset.  Then, once the acrylic had gone off, I test-fitted the window frames to the outside wall.

After that, there was more shredding to do, followed by an aperitif in the summerhouse.  During the day, I realised that we needed to buy some additional 8ft canes for the bean sticks and that it might now be difficult to do so.  I checked online, but both B&Q and Homebase were out of stock.  I checked on several other suppliers, but they were all out of stock of 8ft canes.  In the end, I managed to source some 10ft canes of the right diameter, but I had to buy 100.  So, provided they arrive, I wonít need to buy any more for a few years.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #4039 on: March 27, 2020, 07:38:51 PM »
Hmmmm.
I too need a few extra 8ft canes so wonder if Iíll have trouble sourcing them down here?
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4040 on: Yesterday at 06:28:48 AM »
Hmmmm.
I too need a few extra 8ft canes so wonder if Iíll have trouble sourcing them down here?
I ordered mine from https://www.bs-bamboo.co.uk.  You have to buy a largish quantity and they're not cheap but, as long as they arrive, I think I will be happy.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4041 on: Yesterday at 07:53:23 PM »
Today, I was the day for our usual walk into Hessle to the butchers.  So, under the current regime, we treated this as our daily exercise.  We had called in on Tuesday and given him our order for today to make sure that we were able to get everything.  Last week, it was our week for a chicken roast, but there were none.  So we bought the shoulder of lamb that we would normally have had this week and ordered a chicken for today.  He has lost all his wholesale work to restaurants and pubs but, actually, he is much busier now than under normal circumstances.  In fact, he said, they wouldnít have been able to cope with the retail demand if the wholesale side of the business had still been in operations.

After we returned home, I had time to do a bit of research on the coat of arms for the Dinsdale family, to put up on the front of the Dinsdale Arms.  There is actually a Dinsdale coat of arms in existence, but I thought I would create my own for the narrative.  After coffee, I planted all our potatoes.  This year, I have planted three varieties, a first early (Marris Bard) a second early (Lady Balfour) and a main crop (Cara).  I always used to grow Duke of York, but there is a blight problem in this area.  Last year, I grew Valour, a blight resistant variety, but the crop was poor, possible owing to the very dry winter and early spring.

In the afternoon, I picked all the remaining cabbage so that I could release the butterfly netting that protects it from caterpillars in the summer and wood pigeons in the winter.  A couple of years ago, we removed it after the summer, thinking that there would be no more caterpillar attacks.  The next thing we knew was that the woodpigeons had stripped the lot.  The reason that I wanted to remove the butterfly netting was that I needed the cage structure to hold the pea supports in place.  So, after that, I retrieved the orange contractorsí netting from our storage shed, together with the contractorsí iron supports and put it all in place on this yearís pea bed.  So now, when we come to plant out peas, everything will be ready.

By that time, it was already getting late for a cup of tea and, after a cup of tea, I made up the wood burner for this evening.  Then, at last, I managed to get down to the Train Shed.  I didnít have a lot of time down there, but I managed to stick the window frames layer to the back of the outer layer and made the doors.  I had a couple of restarts on the doors, but eventually got them fix correctly.  Then I cut out and fixed into place the glazing layer behind the window frames.  I had intended to work on the curtains, but realised that I hadnít actually printed the curtains for the hotel.  However, hereís the front wall, as far as Iíve got.

My research into a new coat of arms for the Dinsdale family allowed me to produce the following coat of arms to add to the front wall of the Dinsdale Arms.

Tomorrow, I hope to be able to manage a bit more time in the Train Shed.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline DarrwestLU6

• N Gauge Society Number: 28089
  • Getting back into N after a long break!
    • Awards
« Reply #4042 on: Today at 12:49:02 PM »
Looks not dissimilar to the Ferrari logo? Some subliminal inspiration there perhaps? I like it!
« Last Edit: Today at 12:51:05 PM by DarrwestLU6 »
Hogwarts to King's Cross - My layout under construction: http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=43358.msg536504#msg536504

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #4043 on: Today at 01:55:55 PM »
Very clever motto, Laurence.  Nice wordplay on Equus ferus.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4044 on: Today at 06:03:27 PM »
Actually, the final wording was 'Equus Ferreus Pulcher'  :)
With kind regards
Laurence

Online Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #4045 on: Today at 07:12:22 PM »
Actually, the final wording was 'Equus Ferreus Pulcher'  :)

Even finer then!

All the very best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

For the made-up background to the railway and list of characters, please see here: https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=38281.msg607991#msg607991

Offline Innovationgame

• Larger Gallery
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #4046 on: Today at 07:57:10 PM »
Today was the day for our normal Sunday walk.  We walked round the country park and then down to the river.  The river walk is now off limits until next year because a major stabilisation project is about to get underway and the path has been closed off in preparation for the commencement of the works.  So we returned via the lifeboat station (Humber Rescue inshore lifeboat) and it was strange to see it all shut up because, on Sunday mornings, there is normally quite a gathering for training, etc.  On the way back up the hill, as we crossed the railway line, something familiar came into view.  It was a Class 37 with an engineering train, but not just one Class 37 because there was one at each end of the train.  Two Class 37s to propel three engineering vehicles seemed a bit over the top!

Before we went and again after coffee, I spent the rest of the morning on U3A issues.  We intend to produce a newsletter soon, partly to cheer everyone up so, a couple of days ago, I sent out an Email to the whole membership asking for contributions.  Well, quite a few came back in various formats, so I took some time sorting them all out before sending them on to the Newsletter editor.  That took me beyond dinner time and into the afternoon.  However, eventually, I did make it down to the Train Shed. 

Also during the morning, I did some more work on curtains and signage for the Dinsdale Arms.  I was a bit annoyed because I had created the signage in PowerPoint and carefully created it to scale.  But, when I printed it out, it was too long and the signage was in the wrong place.  So I had to calculate a scale factor and redo it.  After that it was OK.  When I reached the Train Shed, I concentrated on hanging all the curtains.  There are twenty-three bedroom windows to hang and I also added curtains to some of the common area windows on the ground floor.  All the rooms on the executive floor at the top have one colour curtains while all those on the first floor have another colour.  Finally, I used another colour for the public rooms.  I added a grey backdrop inside the curtain layer.  Then it was a case of creating the gable end walls and beginning the assembly process.  This is where I finished.

Although I would like to get on and finish the hotel, I think I will do some train running tomorrow.  That should be a bit therapeutic.
With kind regards
Laurence

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #4047 on: Today at 08:01:00 PM »
The Dinsdale Arms is looking good Laurence.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #4048 on: Today at 08:17:49 PM »
Nice work on the hotel Laurence - like the use of the inlay to give the window & door frame colours a sharp definition

Please Support Us!
March Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: £105.55
Above Goal: £45.55
Site Currency: GBP
176% 
March Donations

Advertise Here
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal