!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)  (Read 4808 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)
« Reply #180 on: May 15, 2019, 09:29:43 PM »
For hands that do ballasting and feel rough as a badgers botty, I'd recommend mild green Fairy liquid :D

Offline Invicta Alec

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #181 on: May 24, 2019, 06:38:21 PM »
Where Iím at.

My dear fellows, here are three photos attempting to show my progress so far.

This is the Saxon Street end of the layout. Plenty of detailing still required. People, letter boxes, lamp posts, belisha beacons etc. but the main work is to create a rough (raised) bit of terrain in the foreground area where the abandoned diesel tanks and old siding is.

This middle section is to be nothing more than a country lane. Because mine is a flat roughly L shaped baseboard again Iím going to try to make the grassed areas either side of the road a bit lumpy/raised. To that end Iíve purchased one of those plaster bandage thingys and with no real clue how to do it, its a job Iíll no doubt avoid until the very last! Scary scenery as a good chum on here would say. I will probably have to purchase a few hundred trees in an effort to cover up my ĎerÖ.. efforts!

The Farningham Central section remains a bit of a blank canvas. As reported recently Iíve done a good deal of the ballasting of the Cotton Hill storage yard which needs to be fenced off with the obligatory scattering of weeds to make it look a bit less pristine. In the last day or two some yard lamps have made an appearance.
The station buildings were carefully taken up from my old layout and are enjoying a new lease of life sitting on differently shaped platforms. The remaining exposed area of white foam board has nothing except the block of flats planned. I wanted to make any buildings at this end of the layout just a little bit more modern than the Saxon Street end with its old terraced housing. Its a shame that Metcalfe no longer produce their 1930s semis.

Electrikery is a weak point for me (and a good few others on this forum I think) but I found the yard lamps at a toy fair a few months back. It seems that LED is the accepted norm now but these old grain of wheat (?) bulbs donít look too bad. The kits were marked 12/15v and I had a little cheapy Maplinís power supply that has half a dozen settings on it. Too bright at 12v but they look okay to me on the 9v setting. Iím assuming that I am doing nothing wrong by under powering them?

Cheery bye old things!

Alec.

Offline crewearpley40

• Awards
« Reply #182 on: May 24, 2019, 06:45:48 PM »
Looking good. Thank you for sharing
blue / grey era diesels / electrics and suitable stock

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #183 on: May 24, 2019, 06:47:09 PM »
@Invicta Alec
No problem putting 9v through a 12v lamp, it might even make them last longer. Some of my 12v lamps run on 9v. Regarding using plaster bandage - I have found it to be very therapeutic, (I did a bit more on 'Averingcliffe' the other day), but, boy, it can be messy! I learnt from my first plaster bandaging and this time I covered all the track in the area with masking tape and newspaper! What you have done so far is looking pretty good.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #184 on: May 24, 2019, 07:21:44 PM »
Happy to pop round and assist you with plaster bandage scenery making Alec :-)   I find the trick is to use small strips/pieces not large lengths.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "KŲnigshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Paddy

• N Gauge Society Number: 10732
  • 2mm Association Number: N/A
    • Awards
« Reply #185 on: May 24, 2019, 07:23:45 PM »
Lovely layout - looking really professional.

Paddy
HOLLERTON JUNCTION (SHED 13C)
London Midland Region
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=11342.0

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #186 on: May 24, 2019, 07:33:58 PM »
Cor blimey my son!

What a bobby dazzler of a layout.  I'm so green with envy that Poppy is calling me Emerald.  It's all so neat 'n' tidy and nicely finished.

Don't you worry about 9V on a 12/15V bulb.  It'll be jolly-dee and tickety-boo and last forever.  And probably have a realistic yellow look as well.  It's 15V on a 9V bulb that you need to worry about.

Thank you for these spiffing pictures.

Toodle-oo.

John and Poppy.

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #187 on: May 24, 2019, 08:56:23 PM »
@Invicta Alec
 Regarding using plaster bandage - I have found it to be very therapeutic, (I did a bit more on 'Averingcliffe' the other day), but, boy, it can be messy!

Thanks David.
I have a cunning plan to avoid any mess. I shall however keep my method secret until I prove that it works.
If it doesn't then I'm gonna keep schtum.  ::)

Cor blimey my son!

What a bobby dazzler of a layout.  I'm so green with envy that Poppy is calling me Emerald.  It's all so neat 'n' tidy and nicely finished.

John and Poppy.

I've taken a leaf out of your book my old son! I had applied for the position of assistant litter picker-up in Poppingham. I was told "We don't 'ave any rubbish round these parts mate".  :no:

Lovely layout - looking really professional.

Paddy

Thanks very much Paddy. Some of the bits I've redone three or four times don't look too bad  :D

Happy to pop round and assist you with plaster bandage scenery making Alec :-)

Thanks Nick. When you do come can you bring with you that clever gizmo that diagnoses exactly why Graham Farish class 411 EMUs suddenly stop working and fry their decoders please?  :dunce:

:thankyousign: All.

Alec.

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #188 on: May 24, 2019, 09:36:59 PM »
@Invicta Alec
 Regarding using plaster bandage - I have found it to be very therapeutic, (I did a bit more on 'Averingcliffe' the other day), but, boy, it can be messy!

Thanks David.
I have a cunning plan to avoid any mess.

I think you will need more water than that.  ;)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything