!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)  (Read 9197 times)

Offline Invicta Alec

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Saxon Street : (R.O.A. layout)
« Reply #270 on: October 29, 2019, 03:02:56 PM »
Miles of fences

At long last the storage facility at Cotton Hill as been fenced in. Yards and yards of 8' high palisade fencing are now in place. (Laser cut card by N-Scenic).
Turfs and block paving have been laid by Willy Eckerslike and his gang to give a neat finish.

Hedges

The well heeled residents of Upper Crust Mansions have clubbed together and had their hedges trimmed.
A quote had been obtained from Jimmy the Chiseler but found to be too expensive as usual.
Bodgeit & Scarper did such a bad job last time they weren't even approached. Neither were Buffalo Bill & Sons, as it was felt they were just a bunch of cowboys.
Young master Spotter said "My dad will do if for firty quid, cash in 'and." And so it was agreed. Tightwads!

Alec.
You can't beat a nice drop of Southern.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #271 on: October 29, 2019, 04:02:45 PM »
@Invicta Alec   Have you got a spare off-cut / leftover from that laser-cut fencing,  I'd like to see what it's like? 
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #272 on: October 29, 2019, 04:09:21 PM »
The fencing looks really good. You’ve made an excellent job of getting it straight and the block paving/turfing skills of Willy Eckeslike and co are to be applauded.
The residents of Upper Crust Mansions could, I’m sure, have afforded to pay a bit more for the hedge trimming. Master Spotter’s Dad deserves a twenty five pond bonus for a job well done.
Great modelling all round.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #273 on: October 29, 2019, 05:11:51 PM »

The residents of Upper Crust Mansions could, I’m sure, have afforded to pay a bit more for the hedge trimming.

Martin,
I suppose £30 doesn't sound a lot, but remember this was 1987!
(Well if you ignore the 350 EMU in the photo, it was!)  :D

Alec.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #274 on: October 29, 2019, 05:17:28 PM »
@Invicta Alec   Have you got a spare off-cut / leftover from that laser-cut fencing,  I'd like to see what it's like?

Nick,
I would have, if I hadn't messed up the last piece! I will probably get another packet from them, but for the moment I can only offer you a cup of tea and an in-situ viewing.

Alec.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #275 on: October 29, 2019, 06:57:09 PM »
Many thanks for these great pictures, Alec.  And the amusing captions!

There is a kind of magic about 'N' gauge when something as vile as that fencing in 1:1 scale looks charming in 1:148.  John Sutton said something similar about modelling in 3mm scale, where a decrepit East Midlands' locomotive from the last days of steam looks wonderful in a small scale.

Anyway; great modelling - congratulations.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Offline Invicta Alec

• Awards
« Reply #276 on: Yesterday at 07:36:49 PM »
Meet Mog

Fellow modelling chappies, please allow me to introduce you to Mog.

In the last week or so I've been fiddling about making a little supermarket for the layout. Importantly the construction uses only scraps and odds and ends of previous projects. I fancied a bit of scratch building for a change so I spent an hour or so sorting through all my bits.
I found some brick paper, some stone sheets, bits of balsa wood, an A4 piece of 3mm foam board etc. and designed the building around what I had rather than doing a design and going off to buy the necessary parts.

All the component parts were stowed in the little open tray under my tiny modelling work station.
Noticing I had a cardboard shoe box in the tray and seizing his opportunity Mog decided to sit in the box. In fact he sat in it for ages, stopping my progress completely.

I can't get mad with him though as a couple of months ago he was run over by a car. £1,800 of vets bills later he now has nuts and bolts holding one of his legs together. Last night he brought a mouse home, the first since his accident. He's obviously getting better if he's able to catch mice once again.

Alec.

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #277 on: Yesterday at 08:26:59 PM »
Welcome to the forum Mog, glad you are on the mend.  :thumbsup: (Don't you just love it when they bring you a 'present'?).
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Train Waiting

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #278 on: Yesterday at 08:41:21 PM »
Welcome to the forum Mog, glad you are on the mend.  :thumbsup: (Don't you just love it when they bring you a 'present'?).

Seconded; welcome, Mog - you are a fine-looking chap.

Poppy brings lots of presents into the house... not always dead.  Once the live present is deposited in front of me, she has absolutely no inclination to help catch it when it scarpers.  It appears to be a case of, "Your problem, matey!"

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is an attempt to create, in British 'N' gauge,  a 'semi-scenic' railway in the old-fashioned style, reminiscent of the layouts of the 1920s to the 1950s.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £25.00
Below Goal: £35.00
Site Currency: GBP
42% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything