!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Whitegate Line  (Read 114 times)

Offline Taurus

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Whitegate Line
« on: September 15, 2020, 06:37:32 PM »
Very early days but my first attempt at laying track and wiring up points did not end in a total disaster - at least the first loop runs.

I made a bit of a clanger when I soldered the point solenoids as I didn't realise how simple they are. Power for the frog obviously just goes whichever side the points are set to, hence I wired the power feeds in back to front.  :-[

Still - a check with the multimeter suggested all was not well so I just swapped the lines over at the connector block.

The outer loop will be a nod at the local passenger line which actually stopped carrying passengers in 1931 but I'm not going to make a fuss over that. The inner line is for freight, they carried salt from the Winsford salt works, potatoes and water cress which was grown locally. Someone I know lives in the house and their garden is a series of pools cascading down the hill.

But at least it runs so I've actually read some instructions which said to run the loco in for an hour both ways. Space is limited so it won't be that accurate, but it gives me something to tinker with as the evenings draw in and my outdoor activities are curtailed.

Offline chrism

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • The Coniston Railway
    • Awards
Re: Whitegate Line
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 07:07:40 PM »
But at least it runs so I've actually read some instructions which said to run the loco in for an hour both ways.

If you're running the loco in by running it around the loop, as well as running it in forward and reverse, also turn it around every now and then. That way it won't get bedded in on only right-hand or only left-hand curves.

Online ntpntpntp

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Whitegate Line
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 07:14:46 PM »
I've actually read some instructions which said to run the loco in for an hour both ways.

It's not an exact science. The purpose is to bed in the gearing and other moving parts and thoroughly distribute any lubrication.  Don't run at full speed. Give it maybe 5 to 10 minutes in one direction then reverse.  Then turn the loco 180 degrees on the track and repeat the process. This is to ensure that the running-in covers both left and right handed curves, which affects the sideplay of driven axles and for diesels and electric locos it exercises turning the bogies to either side.   I actually prefer to use a figure of eight track for running in.

After the running-in process the loco should at its best for smoothness and quietness across the speed range.

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!
https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=50050.0

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £60.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £71.00
Above Goal: £11.00
Site Currency: GBP
118% 
September Donations

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal