New Server: Thank you for your patience. We moved to our new server. Everything should be back to normal EXCEPT for the Gallery. We will have that restored shortly and will make an announcement. If you see something that is not working please report it here: Server Upgrade.

!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Micro layout - in a bread bin!  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Mito

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Micro layout - in a bread bin!
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2018, 08:28:53 PM »
What you knead for lighting are LEDs (light emitting dough). Excuse me I'm off to my cave :sorrysign:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2018, 01:49:08 PM »
So after a few questions across other threads I have just ordered all my track bits and pieces......

Peco code 55 flexi-track (2 legths of 914mm to allow for "oops" moments)
Peco code 55 electrofrog RH turnout
Peco PL10E point motor
PL9 Mounting plate
PL12 Mounting plate (I don't understand the difference between PL9 & PL12 so I ordered both)
Track joiners

I'll order the switches and controls later once I know what I can fit where once the track is down......

Have I missed anything obvious? I'm assuming electrical side cutters and a file will be fine for cutting the track?

Thanks
Paul
Gold Hill - my rule 1, ďjust for funĒ micro layout;

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently on hold;

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2018, 03:19:29 PM »
Xuron or similar cutters would be better. They leave a cleaner cut to the rail. As you're using an electrofrog point you need insulated joiners at the V of the point. By wiring up the siding through a switch you could have a second loco on the siding.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2018, 09:23:18 AM »
All my track parts have now arrived and so has the metcalfe small factory which will be the main focus in the centre of the layout.

I roughly set our some track to get a feel for how much I could curve the flexitrack and I was quite surprised. Ideally Iíd like to source an 0-4-0 before going much further to ensure it can travel without issue but this was a positive first rough layout!

The factory side is just there for scale. The scenic breaks will be tricky but I have some ideas which Iíll be playing with once the track is properly down on the bases board. I may have to scrap the station idea as I just canít see how it will fit. I was thinking of bottom right corner on the curve. A footbridge could then provide the scenic break but it all looks a little tight (as you expect in a bread bin!)

Iím having fun so far! Iím spending some time in the metcalfe kit as itís my first one. Iím impressed with it so far. I wasnít expecting so much internal structure so I need to start thinking about lighting it before itís complete.

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2018, 01:00:47 PM »
If you do not find a 0-4-0... take a cheap 0-6-0 and remove the center wheels. Worked for me to create a z-loco that negotiates a radius of 40mm
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2018, 01:27:14 PM »
If you do not find a 0-4-0...

Are they rare? Apart from the odd one on eBay I canít find one! Any tips on where I might find one?

Offline Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2018, 06:21:38 PM »
Hi Paul,

0-4-0 locos are very hard to find, although I believe there are some available in kit form.

To get my Dapol Terrier to run round my very tight upper level, I did a similar thing to Alexander, but rather  than remove the centre wheels, I filed off the flanges, which had the same effect.

It would be worth your while to check out this awesome layout if you have not already done so.

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=23907.0

Jason, who inspired me with my layout has the same track plan as you, but from Kato track, and fits a canal with coaling facilities in an A4 box file.

He successfully runs an 0-6-0 diesel shunter.

All best wishes
Kevin

:beers:

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2018, 06:42:36 PM »
It can leave a Sour taste and cost a lot of Dough,  if you get it wrong, it could be a real PITA. Mind you some think you are a right Barm Cake for even trying this.  But with a few Cottages this could be a right Cracker as long as you finish before you are brown bread..

Offline Steve Brassett

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2018, 08:14:44 PM »
If you put a short bit of canal in there, you could include an unpowered butty barge.

Online Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2018, 09:35:59 PM »
I did some experimenting with the lighting in the metcalfe kit tonight.

Itís looking good so far. The roof however is a little bit thin so I need to paint it or back it with card. For a first attempt though Iím happy!

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2018, 10:45:23 PM »
0-4-0 locos are very hard to find, although I believe there are some available in kit form.

On the continent there were a few 0-4-0's:
KŲf II: a diesel shunter. In service from the 30's up to 1999 ( http://www.spurweite-n.de/ncontent/ndb/ndb-artdetails.asp?ID=453063088&DoLog=0&Sel_Bezeichnung_VString=K%F6f+II&Sel_Produktdatum_VString=&Sel_KatQuelle_FString=&Sel_Produktstatus_FString=&Sel_Hersteller_FString=&Sel_ArtikelNr_VString=&Sel_Mixed_Full=&Sel_ORDERBY=Bezeichnung&Sel_Vertrieb_FString=&Sel_Epoche_FString=&Sel_Baureihe_VString=&Sel_MitBild_Bool=&Sel_Digitalschnittstelle_FString=&Sel_Gesellschaft_FString=&DispCount=25&Sel_Gattung1_FString=&Sel_Gattung2_FString=&ToShow=0&MaxCount=93 )
The Bavarian Ptl 2/2: a funny little steamer ( http://www.spurweite-n.de/ncontent/ndb/ndb-artdetails.asp?ID=1232&DoLog=0&Sel_Bezeichnung_VString=&Submit=Neu+suchen&Sel_ArtikelNr_VString=&Sel_Mixed_Full=Glaskasten&Sel_Baureihe_VString=&ToShow=4&MaxCount=18 )
Lok 7: a small steamer ( http://www.spurweite-n.de/ncontent/ndb/ndb-artdetails.asp?ID=645&DoLog=0&Sel_Bezeichnung_VString=&Sel_Produktdatum_VString=&Sel_KatQuelle_FString=&Sel_Produktstatus_FString=&Sel_Hersteller_FString=&Sel_ArtikelNr_VString=&Sel_Mixed_Full=&Sel_ORDERBY=Bezeichnung&Sel_Vertrieb_FString=&Sel_Epoche_FString=&Sel_Baureihe_VString=7&Sel_MitBild_Bool=&Sel_Digitalschnittstelle_FString=&Sel_Gesellschaft_FString=&DispCount=250&Sel_Gattung1_FString=Lok&Sel_Gattung2_FString=Dampf&ToShow=92&MaxCount=313 )
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline Thomas_S

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2018, 08:30:52 AM »
The Kato layout is a Little to big for your case, Scarm says 406x282 mm, but approx. 20 mm smaller without clearence on the sides. 117 mm radius fills quite lot.
Tomix has 103 mm radius and a turnout only 70 mm long, so a layout on 357x254 mm with normal clearance is possible. Straight section is 70+33 mm.

In Peco you could use Set-Track ST-5 turnout instead, it is much smaller.

Please Support Us!
December Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Dec 31
Total Receipts: £120.00
Above Goal: £65.00
Site Currency: GBP
218% 
December Donations

Advertise Here